Red zone problems seem to continue.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OhSnap, Sep 21, 2013.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

43,820 Messages
    3,379 Likes Received
    When the D knows they have nothing to fear from the run game they sell out to stop the pass. In the red zone passing is so much harder due to the confined space. So with our pathetic run game none of this should be a surprise to anyone.
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

10,318 Messages
    11,637 Likes Received
    Yeah, we picked up where we left off last year.
  3. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

11,519 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
    Yeah, correlation not causation, etc. But that only begs the question of why we cannot run and why we cannot fix that year after year.
  4. dallasdave

10,318 Messages
    11,637 Likes Received
    We can't fix the offense year after year.:eek:
  5. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

21,040 Messages
    4,610 Likes Received
    We discussed the redzone issues during the offseason and the penalties are one of the biggest issues I see besides the inability to run the ball. On opening day vs the Giants the Cowboys first drive started in the redzone after picking off Eli. After a 3 yard gain by Murray on first down Smith gets called for a false start. Instead of a 2nd and 7 the Cowboys were looking at a second and 12 which forced Romo to put the ball up the next 2 plays which led to a FG.

It seems like every time the Cowboys are in the redzone they commit some stupid pre snap penalty or have a holding call. The play calling gets more conservative in the redzone fearing a turnover. The team has more trust in Bailey than anyone on the offense. They continue trying to position themselves for FG attempts.
    links18 likes this.
  6. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

11,519 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
    And yet the guy in charge of it got promoted.
  7. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I dont want to hear about sample size. Use your eyes people. What has changed with this offense? NOTHING. NADA. Same awful plays, some pathetic execution, same stupid penalties and field goals? We love field goals. Good thing we have Callahan to sacrifice this offseason for another one of Jethro and Sons good ole boys.
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,560 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    Blame the scouts that recommended us spending 1st round picks on Tyron and Travis. And the GM for keeping Free, trusting Leary, and signing Bernie Mac and Waters
  9. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

5,125 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    Of all those players you listed only Bernadeau is not worth a flip.
  10. dallasdave

10,318 Messages
    11,637 Likes Received
    "Bernadeau is not worth a flip" now that is an understatement.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,595 Messages
    3,937 Likes Received
    Provided everything else played out the same.

I was just asking even if Dallas were to dramatically improve is the team really going to be putting up a lot more points? I don't think they will. Partly because they only get 3 chances per game. Now that's not necessarily bad by itself because a home run team will have fewer Redzone trips simply because they are scoring from outside of the Redzone. Dallas however, is not a big hitter though. They have the ability to to but don't get the most out of it, IMO.

I think the Redzone problems are simply a reflection of the offense as a whole. No running threat at all and the offense bunches itself up quite often. Only real difference is that teams don't have to be too concerned with someone getting behind them so they can shut down the short-to-intermediate passing game which pretty much leaves the team with nothing.
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Actually they scored more points in the first game than they did in the first 2 games last year so proclaiming nothing has changed is short sighted at best.
  13. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Yeah, you must have missed the defense scoring the same amount of touchdowns as the offense.

And the 6 turnovers.

Thanks for playing.
  14. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    They already have put up allot more points than the first 2 games last year. It might not fell like it yet but the O is better, I'd just like to see this RZ thing get better.
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    It's in the rules that the team that scores the points get's to keep them even when people try to minimize a win.
  16. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Defensive points are NOT offensive points Cheech.
  17. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    And proclaiming that nothings changed doesn't make so.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

33,461 Messages
    8,389 Likes Received
    You guys are comical..

You think every position on the team has to be perfect for something to work.

Maybe in a Garrett offense that is true because of the lack of creativity.

As far as the run game goes I have an idea.. How about Demarco Murray makes someone miss or breaks a tackle. Or do we have to have perfect blocking as well?
  19. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    So you haven't posted an opinion of how a player, team or coach will end up after 2 games? Highly doubt it and the small sample size certainly didn't keep you from commenting. But, of course, a two game sample size is enough when we're talking about another team but not when we discuss the failings of this one. I like how that works......
  20. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I agree. The complete picture of Murray is becoming clear and it looks like if defenses can keep him from bouncing outside he's not that special. A one trick pony but so was Barber so they should still find a way to make it work. I just wonder if linebackers have become so fast that the running game isn't as effective in the RZ as it once was and that means the passing game has to get better inside the 20.