1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Redskins acquire #2 pick *Merge*

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Kirbyk21, Mar 9, 2012.

1. csirl

csirl Member

85 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is a reach. There is a tendancy for people to get over excited about good 'athletes' at QB and failing to see the wood for the trees. Many mediocore QBs have won SBs. No 'athlete' QB has ever won a SB. We've heard all this before with Michael Vick. While I agree RGIII does not have a the issues Vick has, he is essentially the same type of QB and the end result will be the same - a lot of highlight reel individual plays, but no SB.
  2. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,555 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    In order to get their guy, they were either going to have to trade up this year or next. I don't think -- even with a potentially brutal schedule this year -- that they would have been in a position to take Barkley/Bray/Jones or whoever.

I agree with your point about patience. They recognized their mistake with McNabb -- and didn't make the same mistake again, going with Rex and Beck. They identified their guy and didn't wait. They made the move for the QB they wanted.

It's kind of funny -- they get criticized for going with Rex and Beck (deservedly so, they suck) and then identify their guy, go and make a very bold move, and get criticized for giving up too much. I'd rather have RGIII then Orton and those 2 extra 1sts back.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,166 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    IF he doesn't workout it sets them right back to where they are now. Without a QB and the bottom of the division for a handful more year.

The pressure on this kid was always going to be huge, cause he's going to be looked at as a savior for a franchise no matter who got him, but when a team uses this much to get him? Now the pressure is really on.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Call it what you want but when you give up as much as the skins did to move up 4 spots I would call it a big risk and yes a panic move on the part of the Redskins.
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,382 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    All QB's are under extreme pressure at the NFL level, especially for a major storied franchise. The only way he has less pressure is if he doesn't care.

They gave up some draft picks and it is very typical of the Redskins to do that. Has been seemingly forever. At one point they had a stretch where they gave up (I think) 19 first round picks over 22 years. They went to 4 or 5 SBs over that period.

With the rookie pay structure now. It makes it easier to do that again with a salary cap now in place.
  6. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,555 Messages
    30 Likes Received

You might be right -- I just wonder why they would panic now, instead of last year: More QBs available, they had a QB sitting in their grasp that they passed...
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,052 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    I happen to think they see a kid whose ceiling is unreal. You see what Vick is doing, what Cam newton did, and see this kid who is a better passer than either of them and you covet.

I would not have made this deal. I simply would not have done it. I'd have rather kept the picks and gone after one of the UFA QBs like Flynn or Orton and taken someone else in the Draft.

As it stands right now, if RGIII bombs he is going to be one of the biggest busts in NFL for the simple price paid to get him. I'd hate that for the kid because I genuinely like him. I did not like Russell or Leaf that much. He's now in their neighborhood if he doesn't pan out.
  8. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,382 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Shanahan wanted to address the D first and actually build a team. He figured they could still be competitive with Grossman and Beck, and have his options open. Shanahan needs that type of dynamic/cerebral player at the QB position. They went for it. But for some to think it will hurt them long-run if something goes wrong... a bit short sighted.
  9. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Because there were other options that would not cost you 3 top picks to get them. Flynn in GB for example.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Why aren't people talking about Flynn, anyway? At the very least, you'd think they'd be falling over him the way they did about Kevin Kolb when he hit the market.
  11. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Got me. I like RGIII but I think giving up 2 #1's and a #2 for 1 players is too much. Thankfully the Redskins did this and not the Cowboys.
  12. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,232 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think people see how poorly Kolb did and historically how backup QBs do (Scott Mitchell, Feeley, Rob Johnson come to mind) when they go elsewhere.

That and I don't think Flynn was a fit for the Shanahan O. RG3 is as perfect of a fit as you can find with his arm, mobility and intelligence
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I love the fact that Washington did a 1-3 trade of their first round picks over the next three drafts and threw in their 2nd round pick this year to boot. That is a HUGE mass of talent the Skins will not get over the next few years. In return they get a very talented player, but by no means is he a lock or guaranteeing to remain healthy. Not to mention, he will have a lot less talent around him missing all those draft picks.
  14. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    well by that reasoning you could look at all the 1st rd QB who have failed. There are more of them than those who made it.
  15. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Heath Schuler comes to mind...
  16. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,232 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Agree. But goodness there is a reason Flynn was drafted in round 7 also. He is limited in what he is able to do.
  17. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    that would clearly be on of a boat load of can't miss QB who blew chunks at this level.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Kolb had 'bust' written all over him. Flynn looks like a better player to me, but, that aside--and I'm not talking specifically about the Redskins here--with all the QB-needy teams out there fighting over Manning and scrambling for position in the draft, you're not seeing anybody apparently setting their sites on a player with real NFL experience who's played well when he's gotten his chances and is in position to come in and start from day one.

Maybe it's just that I'm not paying attention to it, but I'd think he'd be a hotter commodity than just about any option out there other than Manning or Luck, given that nobody has to give up anything more than cash to get him.
  19. Doomsday101

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    What rd a QB is taken is not going to determine what kind of QB he will end up being. Guys like Brady and Montana where not 1st rd QB's but they showed themselves as great QB's.

After all the measurements and all the drills the one question with every college player has is, but can he play to this level. Like any other QB the next step is can you put the talent around him.

Right now the skins best WR was a 31 year old Gaffney and 32 year old Moss. I don't see many weapons that will scare many teams right now and with top picks going to the rams I think it is going to be difficult to address
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,216 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    I wouldn't use draft position as a barometer. There is way too long of a list of early round busts and later round hits.
    Brady, Romo, Warner come to mind immediately....
    as do Akili Smith, Leaf and others.