1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Redskins acquire #2 pick *Merge*

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Kirbyk21, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,568 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I agree with this analysis. Shanahan has been drooling over Griffin since his bowl game, per Grant Paulsen -- a pretty reputable beat reporter.

I understand the Flynn/Orton arguments -- but they are 2 more band aids on a gaping wound...attempts 22 and 23, doing the same thing.

Griffin is a very rare breed -- given his physical talents, mental make up, work ethic, characer, etc. etc.

Totally agree -- maybe even more so than Russel, given the price it took to get into that position.
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,388 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    You don't see a young hungry RB corps ? You don't see 2 better than average TE's ? Weapons are there and they will keep Davis.

But back to your first point... Does in a way take away from the value of being a first round QB.
  3. Sonny#9

1,568 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    The Skins will use FA like they did last year to fix the defense: smart, medium-sized deals for hard-working, talented character guys, with maybe one exception: Vincent Jackson. Other than that -- TE and RB are pretty set.

I think a lot of FA WRs would be more willing to come play with RGIII than they would Flynn or Orton.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Most of the time that is easier said that done. Every once in awhile you can grab a good player for cheap. Most of the time, that isn't the case and you end up settling for a different player.

The Cowboys got Koiser one year and ended up with settling with Elam last year.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,378 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    I see a good all around back in Roy Helu and I think Fred Davis pretty good player but all in all I don't think the skins weapons will keep many up at night.

As for RGIII I like the guy I don't think he is worth 2 #1 and a #2. Should the redskins continue to suck then those 1's and 2 will be top 10 picks. I don't see anyone in this draft worth that.
  6. Doomsday101

75,378 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    Why would a FA WR care? I don't think guys are saying hey a rookie QB I want to play there. RGIII has a lot to prove and he may do that but I don't see him as a sure thing.
  7. Sonny#9

1,568 Messages
    36 Likes Received

Well, if you were a top WR, who would you prefer to have at QB: RGIII or Rex Grossman?
  8. SkinsandTerps

7,388 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Learned from the best I see.

A FA WR wants to get paid if his team sucks and he can make a difference.

Doomsday, The Cowboys have not proven that with weapons they can get it done. Is it Romo that is the problem ? Maybe it is the HC.

The Redskins need a QB. Have for years, needed patches along the way, but the are taking a shot for either of the top 2 prospects to get a guy to potentially fill that spot.
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,796 Messages
    688 Likes Received

Well that's easy. If my only option as a top WR was that I had to sign with Washington of course you'd rather have RGIII.

Fortunately as a top WR my options aren't limited to Washington.
  10. SkinsandTerps

7,388 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Don't forget the money part.
  11. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I laugh every time I hear the argument recently "Shanahan loves Griffin" as if Shanahan is some master-evaluator of QB talent that would provide that statement with any authoritative weight.

Shanahan is an awful personnel guy and he is also the guy who "hand-picked" McNabb and John Beck. How'd that work out? He's also the guy who desperately wanted to draft Jake Locker last year.

Unbelievable. Mike Shanahan should wake up every morning and say a prayer to Elway. Because Elway was already there with Shanahan took over, Shanahan has developed mystique that he is a SB coach (thanks solely to Elway) and a QB-guru (thanks solely to Elway). Without Elway, Shanahan has struck out as a coach and has only had modest success with Jay Cutler.

But now he is really likes [strike]McNabb[/strike] [strike]Locker[/strike] [strike]Beck[/strike] Griffin, so we should assume that means something.
  12. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The QB market is so thin in FA, that some team is going to over-pay for Flynn big time. That's why people really aren't talking about him much. Many people predict failure.
    I don't think signing Flynn comes with any less risk.

Some team is going to make him one of the highest paid Qbs in the league (likely, with the way free agency has been going lately) - based on a few games (namely one game), and they aren't going to have all of the talent that the Packers have on offense.

Flynn is going to get a huge contract, mainly because the QBs in Free Agency are slim pickings.

I think it really depends on the team that signs him. But it looks a lot like Kevin Kolb - minus the draft picks, but likely a larger deal.
  13. Doomsday101

75,378 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    The question was Flynn and Orton. But if I was a FA WR it would come down to what you are offering not who your QB is. Vincent Jackson plays with a very good QB right now he is interested in getting paid. If you think he would go to Washington because of a Rookie QB I would strongly disagree with you.
  14. SkinsandTerps

7,388 Messages
    19 Likes Received

Perhaps he is one of those guys that just bides his time on a team.
  15. Doomsday101

75,378 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    Sure it does. Sure he will likely get a big pay day but I don't think as much as you may think given limited action he has seen. What he will not cost you is top picks in the next 2 drafts
  16. Sonny#9

1,568 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Flynn is another band-aid. He would be the same as the McNabb trade, as relying on Rex/Beck -- really, how much more has he shown than Beck did -- other then just being on a much better team?
  17. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the QB has a lot to do with where a receiver signs. No receiver wants to goto a team with no QB. Rg3 has a lot of buzz, and I think players are going to lining up to play with a QB like him.

I also think you're right about VJ wanting to get paid, he's going to command a hefty salary! 18 mill a year? Skins and Chicago - and whoever else - likely get in a bidding war.

He's definitely going to be over-paid.
  18. Doomsday101

75,378 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    Getting a 34 year old 12 year vet QB like McNabb is a band aid I would say 9 year vet in Grossman who had stints in Chicago and Houston before going to Washington was a band aid.

Flynn is a 4 year vet who has served as a backup to what I would consider the best current QB in the NFL in Rodgers and is about to get his 1st shot as a FA is more than just a band aid
  19. Doomsday101

75,378 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received
    I think it could play a part but in the end it is still a business and guys want to be paid. No one is handing out discounts. If you had 2 teams making simular offers then yes I could see the QB playing a role in who the player may pick. When it comes to RGIII he is an unproven rookie nothing more than that as of now. He may turn out to be great he may bust but I don't think RGIII will sway a top NFL WR at this point
  20. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Trust me, most people here were begging for the Skins to sign Flynn around January. Some of these boys are slick :D
    /search cowboyszone Flynn+Redskins