1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Redskins hire Jay Gruden for HC

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 9, 2014.

1. NateSuri

NateSuri Member

31 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Now that Jay Gruden is the skins coach, I doubt John Gruden would come out of retirement for a Cowboys head coaching job. Who wants to face their son twice a year?
  2. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Not enough blitzing.. Zone Supporter

1,638 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    (Brother)..
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,305 Messages
    1,469 Likes Received
    lol.. excellent spot on post.
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Good
  5. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,139 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    Coaches are only as good as their players. I don't have a problem with the hire, but the Redskins need a few more weapons on offense and to retool their defense. They'll be able to do that with their #2 pick by trading down and acquiring more picks.

:D
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    You just HAD to remind me of that, didn't you?

DAMN you!
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,507 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Thinking the opposite, he comes out next year and replaces Garrett for the Brother vs Brother Match-up, in Jerry and Daniels Worlds this is perfect for ratings because they won't be getting them from winning.
  8. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

977 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    looks like we have the worst coach in the nfc E
  9. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    worked well with shannahan....
  10. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    BTW, Skins fans: We'll lend you Jerry if your new coach need some on-the-job training. :)
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  11. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    Maybe in the whole NFL. Never mind the NFC. o_O

I'm not sure the criteria anymore with bad coaching because it's different with every fan but Jason sucks!
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,771 Messages
    10,054 Likes Received
    Which should tell you how that story will end.
  13. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    I just wonder how high Jay was on Dan Snyder's coaching list. My guess would be that he was Snyder's 5th or 6th choice. Nobody higher on the list would be interested in working for Snyder. Guys like Bill Cowher would never work under Dan Snyder.

Amazing how much the Cowboys have in common with the Redskins even though they are our arch enemies.
  14. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,896 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    My 2 cents...I think this was a down year for coaches, To say Jay Gruden is average at best is probably correct, but who was out there that was great? O'Brien? Zimmer? Lovie? The biggest problem the Skins have is what to do with RG3? Do they continue to be a read option offense? Do they try and make him into a conventional QB? Gruden's job will hinge on the development of RG3 first and foremost, fans are going to want instant results too. Good Luck!
  15. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    He was probably number 1 on Bruce Allen's coaching list.

Gruden, Morris, Haslett, McVay all have previous Bruce Allen ties, either in Tampa or in the USF
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,507 Messages
    409 Likes Received

Undermined as a person, castrated as a Coach.

Not sure Jason is really a Head Coach, Callahan took over play calling and it's Jerry Jones that makes the crucial Coaching decisions in Big D.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Jay Gruden to coach Redskins
    By Adam Schefter and John Keim | ESPN.com

Updated: January 9, 2014, 11:42 AM ET

The Washington Redskins' search for a new head coach, which once looked like it would take weeks, ended Thursday when the team agreed to hire Jay Gruden, a league source told ESPN.

Gruden had been scheduled to interview for the Minnesota Vikings coaching vacancy Thursday before he agreed to become the Redskins' coach. He is expected to be introduced Thursday afternoon. The team has called a 4 p.m. ET news conference.

He replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired the day after the team's season ended. Gruden becomes the sixth coach hired by owner Dan Snyder in his 15 years; none have lasted more than four years.

Click on this link to read entire article:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10267454/washington-redskins-hire-jay-gruden-coach
  18. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Not only was sean Payton not run out of Dallas, but he was talked out of taking the raiders job in 05 when parcells recommended he not take it.

Where does this type of hyperbole come from? Dud someone on espn say this or something.
    Dodger12 likes this.
  19. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

963 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need a defensive mastermind, not this kid.

Snyder's stench is all over this.

Mind boggles me why we didn't hire Zimmer.
  20. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    see I have felt Snyder has backed off some in recent years. They still fail but atleast he lets them do it on their terms.