1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Redskins hire Jay Gruden for HC

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 9, 2014.

1. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,239 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    At this point I am really not sure how anyone can make any definitive judgement on Gruden, good or bad. He has never been an NFL HC before.

I do like this quote from Gruden today

His success will depend on if Morroco Brown/Scott Campbell can upgrade the roster, and if Robert Griffin gets better.

Good players make good coaches
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,001 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    One of those teams went 8-8 and out of the playoffs, the other was 4-12. Both had super high dollar QB contracts this year as well. I don't think they'd trade their coaches though, because they understand the value of continuity, and realize that there is no magic wand of victory.
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    You don't think Garrett's professional/coaching/family ties had anything to do with him being considered for those jobs?
  4. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,169 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Jay is not his brother and I predict that while he's a good OC, he's not HC material.
  5. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

210 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I'm not too worried. They made the hire to appease the diva RG3. You will never succeed if your main goal is to appease a diva. The success of Jay Gruden in Cincy was in large part due to the many weapons they have/had. I don't see it in Washington.
  6. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    With our luck that will be another team in the division hiring a new coach to right the ship. I fully expect them to go from worst to second.
  7. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,893 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    Huh?
  8. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,566 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    He is not a personnel guy--that's what Brown's and Campbell's roles are. He is very good at managing the salary cap, not overpaying for free agents, being financially smart in acquisitions--kind of like the anti-Vinny Cerrato. And, because he is the son of the famous George Allen, he is the Snyder whisperer. He is able to keep Snyder from getting his grubby mitts into everything.
  9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Do you think they would now after seeing his "practice" 3 years? Teams take guesses. They got lucky and guessed right after Garrett. We didn't so much.

As far as Gruden. Wait and see. I am not impressed with him and didn't think he was even he second best coach on that staff but that is looking at the Bengals and ho they end seasons. Maybe he will be better as a HC.
  10. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,007 Messages
    437 Likes Received

When he out coaches Garrett 2x next year. These comments will be ____________?
    khiladi likes this.
  11. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,009 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    How does this hire appease RG3? I really hadn't heard Griffin linked to Gruden in any reports, and I don't know of some specific thought or connection that would make Gruden more of an RG3 guy then say Bevell from Seattle.

Personally, I'll wait and see what Gruden brings to the table, and how he addresses the defensive side of the ball.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received

Outcoaching Garrett doesn't mean you're a good coach.

All it means is you know how to beat the basics.

If we can't out athlete a team we aren't beating anyone based on schemes or good coaching.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,588 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    When he was in Tampa they had massive salary cap problems. And in just a short time with the Redskins...they've had major salary cap problems.

I'm starting to believe that is the key to managing banks and finances...just tell everybody you're great and they will believe you.

Americans are a stupid people, by and large. We just believe whatever we are told. - The Wire
  14. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,007 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    Thanks for making my point!

Sentence 2 makes sentence 1.... He would be better than Garrett.
  15. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

953 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I can't speak for Tampa, but he had the Redskins on the right track, cap wise, until John Mara started whining to the competition committee.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,119 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    And there is NO WAY either of those organizations even interview him for HC today

They dodged a bullet and we got hit