1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Regular Season Finale @ Redskins

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyMike, Sep 10, 2012.

1. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,177 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Anyone think this game looks a little differently now?

I'm not making any snap judgements on the Redskins. I'd like to see more evidence from RG3, especially after teams have more tape on him...

...but it's entirely possible we could be playing for the division in the last game of the season. Right now it looks like a prime flex candidate for NBC.
  2. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Lmao! Maybe next year for skins.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,462 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    No doubt the skins looked pretty good today. IMO, that last game won't mean anything to the Redskins except maybe playing spoiler for the Cowboys in some way. I just think there are too many talented teams in the NFC for the Skins to make the playoffs this season. We may need that last game for home field advantage, 1st rd bye or division title but the Skis probably finish around 8 wins max.
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see that game deciding the division, but we'll see.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    RGIII looked great, but week one is so variable. So much can change from any week to week, but never more so than after week 1. I'm waiting to see how they do against one of the NFCE teams before worrying about WAS one way or another.
  6. CowboyMike

5,177 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'm usually more of a wait and see kind of guy, but I thought it was something interesting to think about.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    He looked good. I'd be stoked right now if I were a Sk*ns fan. They're defense was already solid. He pretty much has to pay off for them, given how much they gave up.

I just know from being in Vegas on opening weekend a few weeks back how much of a toll it can take on your regular projections. :) So many weird scores it's hard to tell what's real, and what's mirage. Players aren't up to full-game condition yet, coaches aren't certain how their plans for newly acquired players go, even the bad teams have hope they can be a turnaround team. After week three things tend to settle down a bit, coordinators get some tape, and you can see how the year might shake out (with notable exceptions).

I won't lie, though. I was on Bourbon Street this weekend, making good-natured fun of every Redskins fan I saw (there were a ton of them who traveled down). I was hoping for a Saints blowout.
  8. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,395 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    I thought he looked great coming out of the gate, that surprised me. The only thing is you have to wonder if the Saints are going to have a down year. The Skins sure looked better the Eagles. That will be an interesting game.
  9. CowboyMike

5,177 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I think the Saints will have a down year for one reason: karma.
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree and I can't stand their bandwagon fans either.
  11. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

554 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    To answer the OP's question, not really.

The Cowboys can attack the Redskins in ways the Saints could not.

The Cowboys have a better playmaker at RB; a more dynamic athlete at WR (Dez Bryant); a better secondary; and the league's premier pass rusher.
  12. CowboyMike

5,177 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I didn't mean look differently in terms of how the Cowboys match up with the Skins. I meant in what the game could potentially mean at the end of the year.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The question is, how many games will RG3 miss due to injury? :muttley:
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,292 Messages
    1,764 Likes Received
    Hard to say right now. I think it is possible, would not be the 1st time a team went from the bottom of the division to the top of a division. Then again redskins could crash and burn.
  15. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,649 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    Admittedly, it is still early, but I think people are underestimating the Redskins and the addition of a good QB, complimented by the addition of a good RB.
  16. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now that teams have film on him expect RGIII to suffer through the normal rookie growing pains.

They ran a very unique offense yesterday (by NFL standards). They essentially came out and ran a version of the air raid. Mostly shotgun formations with three and four wide, lots of receiver and running back screens and dink and dunk comebacks and slants. The Saints played off all day expecting the deep ball and got torched underneath.

However, as is seen often times in college when spread passing offenses face elite defenses, NFL defenses are too fast for that to work consistently. DBs will play up, those screens will get blown up and corners will just the short stuff.
  17. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    After 1 week here is what I see the 'Skins doing:

Saints - win
    Rams - win
    Cincy - loss
    Tampa - win
    Atlanta - loss
    Minn - win
    Giants - loss
    Pitts - loss
    carolina - win
    bye
    Philly - loss
    Dallas - loss
    giants - win
    balt - loss
    clev - win
    Philly - loss
    Dallas - win

8-8
  18. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

1,714 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    But really, how many elite defenses are the Skins going to face all year? This offense could work for them, and that rookie RB looks pretty good too
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It doesn't need to be an elite defense. All NFL defenses are fast, I was using elite college defenses as an analogy. Most teams in college don't have the speed on defense to shut down that kind of offense, but NFL teams do.

If Robert Griffin keeps up what he did yesterday he'll be by far the greatest rookie QB in the history of the game and I just don't buy that. He'll be good, but he's not THAT good. Not yet.
  20. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,059 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    My hope is we will finally put ourselves in a position that the last 2-3 games at the end of the year won't determine whether or not we make the playoffs. Not saying they won't be important, but I would rather them be to determine which Wild Card team we host or if we have a first round bye or not.