1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rep. Walt Minnick (D-Idaho) introduces $174 billion stimulus bill

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Feb 11, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Link

Rep. Walt Minnick introduces $174 billion stimulus bill
    By Erika Bolstad - ebolstad@idahostatesman.com

WASHINGTON —
    Rep. Walt Minnick has introduced his own economic recovery plan, a scaled-back version of the $819 billion stimulus bill he voted against last week.

The freshman Idaho Democrat’s $174 billion proposal, titled the Strategic Targeted American Recovery and Transition Act, is intended to spur spending and create jobs immediately, Minnick said.

The bill would:
    • Strip health care provisions as well as the money that goes toward helping states cover shortfalls in their education and Medicaid budgets.
    • Cut taxes $100 billion.
    • Direct $20 billion toward modernizing schools and $50 billion for highway and bridge construction money.
    • Put $4 billion toward job training.
    "My perspective on it was we should take out of that bill everything that doesn't create jobs right now, of the type that government should be spending money on, that have important private-sector multiplier effects," Minnick said.

Minnick's proposal also requires that Congress strictly adhere to its own pay-as-you-go provisions, which require that any new spending be offset by cuts in other areas. Those rules could be waived only when there is negative economic growth for several quarters, Minnick said.

Minnick was one of only 11 Democrats in the House to vote against the stimulus bill last week; all House Republicans voted against it.

Minnick said some of the concepts “received rave reviews” from fellow members of the Blue Dog caucus, a coalition of fellow fiscally conservative Democrats. He is angling for co-sponsors and will present the bill as a whole to a working group the Blue Dogs are convening this weekend.

Minnick said his proposal forces all of the money to be spent by the end of 2010.

Democrats hope to have a finished stimulus package to President Barack Obama by the end of next week, but it seems increasingly unlikely they will meet their self-imposed deadline. The Senate version, now estimated to cost as much as $902 billion, has caused some Republican senators and moderate Democrats to balk at the price tag.

"If the Senate continues to have difficulty with the administration bill, we will be looking for alternatives," Minnick said. "Because we must do something."
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    This Senator sounds like a Blue Dog Democrat.

I'm certain it would surprise nobody but from what this article reports, I must say I like what he is saying.

I hope sanity can prevail.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    [IMG]

This is STARTA!!!!!!!!
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Someone who gets it. Many of these other projects should go through the same appropriations process as they always have. This stimulus should be about 1 thing creating jobs.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    you're freaking me out bp - i looked at the acronym and thought the same thing!

that said, i do like what he's doing. repair/build up where needed, put the rest into training. one thing i'd like to see addressed is making it less economical to ship jobs overseas.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I suggest you plug in some Judas Priest because if you think they are going to go with a bill that is under 200 or 300 or 400 or 500 or 600 billion....you gotta another thing coming.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    You knew they had to have some kind of lame acronym for all of these bills and proposals although I am sure he wanted it to be the START Act.
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    He's a first term Blue Dog Representative...

Seems like he and another first timer Blue Dog, Heath Shuler, are rocking the boat...
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received

[youtube]RNJYHD3gjXo[/youtube]
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok he gets my vote on the proposal

I can agree with everything in that Bill if the Republicans balk at that Bill I will pimp slap my Rep down
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    Curb Stomp would be in order.

[youtube]QMk6pJCKsn8[/youtube]
  12. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think it can work. Seems a lot more efficient and doesn't spend unnecessarily in such hard times.
  13. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I like it, I can get behind this.
  14. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  15. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    this is a plan I can get behind

and I like the 50 billion in highway construction, that will create a ****-load of jobs

4billion towards job training

gotta love that