1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Reparations for Apology for Slavery?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Senate's Apology for Slavery Without Support for Reparations Riles Some Black Lawmakers

A disclaimer in a Senate apology for slavery that states that nothing in the resolution supports or authorizes reparations by the United States is causing dissension among several members of the Congressional Black Caucus and may prevent the two chambers from uniting on the measure.

FOXNews.com
    Friday, June 26, 2009

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...ry-support-reparations-riles-black-lawmakers/

When the Senate voted earlier this month to formally apologize for slavery and racial segregation, it appeared to be consistent with other nonbinding, symbolic resolutions that lawmakers have passed before, apologizing for such things as the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

But a disclaimer saying that nothing in the resolution supports or authorizes reparations by the United States is causing dissension among several members of the Congressional Black Caucus and may prevent the two chambers from uniting on the measure.

"I would not want to have any language in place that would deny anyone, any citizen, the right to address a grievance," said Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., head of the Caucus.

"I feel that some method other than just an apology should be made," said Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss. "People should be made whole."

But other House Democrats say they don't oppose the disclaimer.

"I think it's just legal clarity that this doesn't provide a basis for reparations and the resolution we passed in the House, though it didn't have that provisions, was not passed as a basis for reparations either," said Rep. Steve Cohen who represents a majority black district in Tennessee and sponsored a House version passed last year.

President Obama isn't pressing for reparations language either. He said during the campaign that reparations are best paid in "good schools in the inner city" and jobs for the unemployed.

Iowa Democrat Tom Harkin first introduced the measure years ago but wanted it passed June 18 on the eve of Juneteenth -- a day of celebration commemorating the end of the Civil War and the release of African Americans from slavery. He said the House is to take it up soon and that a formal celebration will be held next month in the Capitol Rontunda.

But at this point, the two apology resolutions are just that: two separate resolutions. Democrats control both chambers but because the House does not seem eager to take up the Senate's version the resolutions may remain separate but not equal.

FOX News' Molly Henneberg and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This thread should be interesting :laugh1: .
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Its been 144 years.

No one living now has been a slave in this country.

There is no one left to apologize too.

Move on please, we have a minority President now.
  4. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    None of the people who were wronged are alive today, and I didn't do anything wrong.

I don't owe anyone an apology.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,744 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    The fact that you think Obama is a minority because he's half black says the US isn't ready to move on quite yet.

I've always found it humorous that of all the people and the varying views on race, whether they are well intentioned or not, I've only ever heard white people say they are colorblind or don't see race.

That all being said, this whole apology nonsense does not belong in a court room. What the hell is a "formal apology" anyway?
  6. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Uhhh He is a minorty because he is a halfbreed.

Just like I am ......

I find it humorous that you assumed I was a "white guy" ..... I have never said I was "color blind".
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,744 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Being mixed does not make you a minority, there is no "half black" or "half asian" bubble when you select your race.
  8. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    There is also no "eskimo bubble" ..... what is your point?

Do you know the definition of minority ? ..... or are you just trying to argue to save face?
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,744 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Save face from what exactly? My quoting you does not mean the entire post was dedicated to you.
  10. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    I guess we are done then.

Back to the original topic ....

There is no one left to apologize too ....... anyone who was a slave is already dead ..... and the "black" community is beyond token and symbolically demeaning apologies.
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd kind of like an apology...
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,744 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Don't worry, I'm drafting my formal apology, should be ready in a century. Give or take a few decades.
  13. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    I am sorry you were a slave.
  14. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    No need to ..... I was never a slave.
  15. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    too bad, you'll be waiting a while........
  16. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    No he did not ..... I apologized for his time as a slave within a minute. I am actually appalled that a 24 year old guy lived as a slave in this day and age.
  17. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Alright guys ...... I am going to the Red Lobster (if they let me in)

If I see any slave owners out tonight ...... I will make sure to demand an apology.
  18. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,651 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Just out of curiousity, what would you like an apology for and whom would you like the apology from?
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not that I care one way or another but I do believe there have been instances where an apology was made for a wrong done to person or group long after they were dead.

It's Friday, so I don't feel like googling it.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    You are correct. We made apology to the Japanese and we just recently made apology to African Americans. The issue is reperations.