1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Reparations for Apology for Slavery?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,635 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Just out of curiousity, is this a "one time only" thing..? Or are all current and future "descendants from slaves" going to be eligible?
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,889 Messages
    1,666 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't read the original post.
  3. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The 17 pages of this thread have been dedicated almost solely to the discussion of an apology/reparations for slavery.

Sure, I'd have no problem with the government apologizing for racial segregation as a whole as long as it was directed only at those who directly experienced it. And I'm talking about full blown racial segregation. You don't deserve an apology from the entire nation just because one idiot racist refused you a cab ride once or because some redneck called you the N-word.

I'll be really glad though when thise current generation of race-baiters are gone, because the younger generation is not NEARLY as racially absorbed. You're going to see much less of this garbage twenty years from now because younger black kids/young adults that are a part of my generation just really don't care. Has a whole they don't have this massive chip on their shoulder. Our nation will be better off because of this.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's one more apology?

[IMG]
  5. Scranton Tiger

Scranton Tiger New Member

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are very good and logical reasons why the notion of reparations will never be allowed in the United States and is quite possibly the single most ingnorant idea to ever come out of Washington. 1 - THERE WERE BLACK SLAVE OWNERS ALSO! That's the dirty little secret everyone who plays the race card doesn't want anyone to know. Black slave owners lived in both the southern AND northern states. The third largest slave owner in my home state (South Carolina) was a Black man named William Ellison. 2 - BLACKS WERE NOT THE ONLY RACE ENSLAVED IN AMERICA! It is true that Blacks represented the largest majority of slaves. However, Native Americans, Hispanics, Asians and yes even Whites were also enslaved. There are of course other reasons why reparations are nothing more than a way to curry favor from minorities, but these two are a good place to start.

Now, this doesn't mean I believe slavery was/is alright. It just really pisses me off at how many Americans are uninformed about the history of our country.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,524 Messages
    3,366 Likes Received
    "Black Slave owners" in America were typically freed slaves who bought the freedom of enslaved family members or other slaves in general. The idea they enslaved other black people to work as they did under white owners is not factual.
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    well apparently this William guy owned 63 slaves at his height, and supported the Confederate cause, in fact one of his sons was enrolled in a South Carolina battery
  8. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is the US apologizing to "blacks" only? Or are they just apologizing for the role they played in "slavery" in general?

Regardless, it doesn't matter if a handfull of Blacks owned Blacks during the Slave Era, it was wrong and the Government still played a large role in the institution of Slavery.
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've owned so many people on this board, and noone is asking for reparations!
  10. Scranton Tiger

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You are not correct. Many Black slave owners had well over 50 and sometimes over 100 slaves. No one has that many relatives. It is a subject that everyone should do research on. The true facts about that time period in American history will shock most people. When I first started hearing things like that I, like most people, thought it was just rationalization, embelishment or out right faslehoods. The more I read, the more I was shocked. There were also Black regiments in the southern army. Not slaves, free Blacks fighting of there own accord. There are instances of the southern army being integrated in some areas. You can even find reports from the Civil War of White northern prisoners being guarded by Black Southern soldiers. Like I said, it is a subject that people REALLY need to research more about. This is a subject that deserves it's own thread because what has been written so far only scratches the surface.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,889 Messages
    1,666 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    FIFY :).
  13. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  14. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,524 Messages
    3,366 Likes Received
    Truth..

:laugh2:
  15. Scranton Tiger

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A few more nuggets about that time in our history that I'm sure most of you are not aware of, just as I wasn't until I started studying the subject more. Also two more reasons why the idea of reparations is ludicrous.

While 7% of Whites in the south owned slaves, 2% of Blacks in the South owned slaves. For example, in 1860, the United States census reported that around 10,000 free Blacks owned some 60,000 Black slaves.

It was a Black slave master named Anthony Johnson who sued and won his case in a Virginia court in 1853 that changed slavery from temporary servitude to lifetime servitude. Thus, this Black slave owner established permanent slavery in Virginia.

FYI
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,997 Messages
    1,016 Likes Received
    the most surprising fact is that only 7% owned slaves. how much of the black population was a slave in general?
  17. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am very skeptical of those numbers. There is no way that 2% of the black population in the South owned slaves.
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,997 Messages
    1,016 Likes Received
    7% of whites owning them - i would have thought would be higher.
  19. Scranton Tiger

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was just as shocked. Didn't believe it for a long time. It's true though. The information is out there if you dig for it. The more research you do, the more you be shaking your head.
  20. Scranton Tiger

377 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When you put it in perspective, the time period, it makes much more sense. Most of the population in the South, both Black and White, was poor to middle class. The vast majority of slave owners, both Black and White, were wealthy. It is similar today in some respects. The top 5% of earners in America today, I.E. the wealthy, pay over 50% of the countries total taxes.