1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Auburn bribed players

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by joseephuss, Apr 4, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,760 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/college-football...recruiting-rules-gene-chizik-according-report

Report: Auburn bribed players

Auburn's football program changed players' grades to secure eligibility, offered money to potential NFL draft picks so they would return for their senior seasons, and violated NCAA recruiting rules under former coach Gene Chizik, according to a report by former New York Times and Sports Illustrated writer Selena Roberts.

The report appears on Roberts' website, Roopstigo.com. According to three former Auburn players, as many as nine players' grades were changed before Auburn's win in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

"We thought we would be without (running back) Mike Dyer because he said he was one of them, but Auburn found a way to make those dudes eligible," former Auburn defensive lineman Mike Blanc told Roberts.

In an interview with AL.com on Wednesday, Blanc denied saying that quote. Blanc later tweeted: "Man this article is outrageous and isn't true."

According to his uncle, Andre Dyer, Michael Dyer said he was "never even close" to being academically ineligible prior to the 2011 BCS national championship game.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    This is not a surprise at all. Cam Newton wanted to go to Mississippi State, but Auburn gave his dad money to build a church, so his father sent him to Auburn.
  3. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,866 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Here's an article I read a long time ago talking about their booster Bobby Lowder. Not surprised one bit.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college...y-laundered-money-to-players-cam-newton/39981

Here's the intro:
  4. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,494 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I posted on this very board back when cam won the heisman that he was going to be returning it ala Reggie bush in 2014, maybe I was a year off
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,688 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    And they still got their butts kicked to epic proportions.
  6. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    Outside of Vandy, I don't think there is a program that is remotely clean in the SEC. Just some get caught.

YR