1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Garrett staying...To get a play caller?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,400 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    They could bring some one in with the title of asst head coach or something like that.

Sounds like speculation more than anything. I have to see it to believe it.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,652 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    This staff and this roster will continue to be an 8-8 mix.
  3. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,031 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Title should be changed this is misleading. There is no news here.
  4. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,305 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I'm thinking Norv or Cam Cameron.
  5. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    definitely speculation. there isn't even an un-named "source". yet the criticism of this move for Jerry and Garrett runs rampant....
  6. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...like many other OC and DC who pipe up on the sidelines of other teams and petition their HC for calls or decisions.

Being a coach in this league and running an NFL team is a huge endeavor. There is no shame in admitting you need help and additional voices.

If coordinators are not needed then why aren't there other NFL teams who only have one coach? A HC coach who is also the OC and DC?

Could it possibly be that the jobs are too big for one person? Is it possible to be a good HC and have a OC and a DC?

Let's not take away a potential positive from our coach because there may have been mistakes in the past. Let's create and search for improvements.
  7. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,207 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    The Texans have great depth on their team..when one of our guys get hurt the Cowboys troll PS rosters because we have no quality depth.

The Texans are playing flat. No urgency. They were steamrolling & now they are getting steamrolled.

Maybe they got cocky. Thought the road to the SB could not possibly go thru any city but Houston?
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,553 Messages
    9,703 Likes Received
    Jimmy Robinson is the assistant head coach. Bill Callahan is the offensive coordinator.

How about we get better players?
  9. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    What we really need is a real GM.

Most of this will be almost meaningless until the decisions at the top change.
  10. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,601 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    The decline of Phillip rivers and the Bolts offense has more to do with decisions to let people like Sproles and Vincent Jacson walk than Norv Turner. Their o-line was decimated as well. I don't know one person, other than the geniuses on this forum, that doesn't respect Norval as a play caller. Have Sunday ticket, and whether its Simms, Fouts, GRuden, Collinsworth, every analyst I've heard do a Chargers game in the last 5 years puts him at the top or near the top as a play caller.
  11. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...that's what all sideline coaches do. They are allowed on the sidelines to do what they think is right.

Do you remember a game where Todd Haley was standing behind Parcells yelling at the ref while Parcells was trying to talk to the ref?

Parcells turn around and shoved Haley back. Coaches yell out things they feel needs to be expressed in the interest of the team.

Things like "timeout", "challenge", etc. If it is good enough for other teams it may be an improvement for the Cowboys.
  12. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I approve this message.
  13. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...is a learning process for JJ. Let's hope so.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I'm thinking status quo if that happens.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Isn't Jerry the one who insisted on his head coach calling plays? Something about being able to benchmark his performance or some other BS?
  16. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Fine I'm absolutely fine with this. Garrett's biggest problem is his play calling, all the other team stuff we've seen him actually grow. But please, bring anyone, I can't watch this same exact gameplan since 07 for another year
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Won't matter. Scheme is too much of an issue.
  18. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Interesting to see how many more excuses Jones can come up with that don't point back to himself. Forcing Garrett to hire a playcaller is an obvious one, but there aren't many obvious ones remaining left.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,553 Messages
    9,703 Likes Received
    In your mind it is.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.
  20. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...don't make for better timeouts. Better players can't always cover for good game plans by the other coordinator.

Better players can't design plays for teams when half your roster is injured.

Make small continuous improvements and take opportunities when they arise. This isn't Madden. You can only add where there is opportunity.

Right now the opportunity is on the coaching side. The players is a little later.