1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Garrett staying...To get a play caller?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    He hasn't grown at managing games. Still just as sucky.
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,406 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Im not sure about insisted but he has stated numerous times this season he wants his HC to call plays but than again it is Jerry so you cant really believe everything you hear.
  3. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...greatest problem is adjustments. He's too slow to develop an adjustment against some of his defensive counterparts.

Haslett and Fletcher clearly had Garrett and Romo's number yesterday.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,808 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    Just give Callahan complete control of the offense.

Due to Callahan being with the Cowboys for a year, he should be comfortable with their (Garrett's) existing terminology; however, he can install his type of offense (more West Coast influenced) without forcing the players to learn a new terminology.

I know that he had the title of OC this year; however, most of the plays looked similar Garrett's plays from last year.
  5. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I agree with both of you, not a Garrett supporter but this is the best news on the Garrett front that we've heard in a while. And as for game planning, I used to think that he does a poor job at in game adjustments, but it dawned on me that Garrett usually has the right idea, just never sticks with it.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,898 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

didnt you start another thread telling everyone that this was a successful season and the team overachieved?

if so, why would you want to change anything?

which is it?

cant have it both ways
  7. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,818 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    This is nothing but a pure guess. Read the article.
  8. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

19,893 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    Ok.. This makes me smile. I figured Jerry would do something regardless of how we made our way to the Redskins game. Garrett (imho) simply blows as an offensive play caller and ultimate decision maker on that side of the ball. Make him a glorified cheerleader of men (ala Mike Tomlin) and keep it moving. Add me to the hopefuls that Norv takes an OC job with us.
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You're clearly another person that jumped at the thread title and didn't read the thread. My post in a nutshell was saying that if you gave us our team this year, healthy, we would have played extremely well. Next year, in anticipation of health and some positive changes, we'll be scary good.
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    I think it's a dumb move. It's a way that Jerry gets out of firing him and feeling bad about it, instead of just ridding himself of this mess that he created.

It will really show us what a lousy coach he really is, if he gets stripped of the only thing that got him the job in the first place.

We should hire a whole new staff and start over fresh. Let that staff make changes and get a new plan together.
  11. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,818 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Was Jimmy Johnson a glorified cheerleader? He didn't call plays.
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,674 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Exactly...we are acting as if Garret won't oversee everything.

Just Hire Rob as HC, and get a new OC
  13. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...of adjustments.

Example...yesterday's game announcers focused on a gap wrinkle the Skins OLB was doing. Moving in a few yards to stop Romo from audibling out from run to pass.

If you were expoliting that OLB successfully and they made an adjustment make a direct adjustment against the LB when you recognize it.

Run play action directly against him with the RB to see how committed he is against the run.

If you beat him he may soften his shade towards the interior of the line.

If he was bluffing ands falls back out into a soft zone, then you can see his tendencies and give Romo the audible to run next time when he sees the same formation.

It's about making your counterpart off balance. Be the hammer and pound Haslett like a nail. When the nail shifts - shift the hammer, but keep the blows coming.
  14. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received

That was the rave about Garrett if you recall. Not all it's cracked up to be. I don't give a hang about innovative...just winning. Football is the same as it's been since it started...only the players have really changed thanks to synthesized male hormone;)
  15. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,296 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    I don't see this working out. Jimmy knew his strengths and delegated accordingly. Garrett clearly views himself as an offensive mastermind. I can't see a smooth transition happening here where he all of the sudden is forced I give up those duties. Not unless its so someone he really respects like Norv.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    Would be nice to get a fresh start away from Garrett.

Maybe we get lucky and get the next Harbaugh.

Worst case is we get a crappy coach and stay on the path we're on.
  17. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,988 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I don't think it will be Norv.

Callahan may be calling the plays.

Chan Gailey just got let go. He'd probably go back to being a head coach in college.

It's got to be an Irish guy though.......
  18. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...did what every good leader does.

Let the people he hired do their jobs and he became the keeper of the keys to the culture.

He expected his team to take on a certain persona and he was not above holding his players or his coaches to that standard.

He would yell and punish players and he would yell at coaches. Some more than others. Ex. Campo.
  19. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,674 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Is this a joke?
  20. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    This is clearly speculation and it comes from Ian Rappaport, who makes Ed Werder look talented.