1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Garrett staying...To get a play caller?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,026 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    I agree with this ...... it would also help an aging Ware.
  2. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,366 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I think this is the biggest issue
  3. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received

:signmast:
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,182 Messages
    5,668 Likes Received
    the garrett and jones families are in bed together. nobody will be held accountable, this is just a bone to throw to the angry masses. real accountability is what we are seeing around the league today with all these firings.
  5. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,068 Messages
    1,983 Likes Received
    What he said.
  6. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    He SUCKS... like all Huskers fans, such as myself, know and Raiders fans know too well..

The guy is an overrated coach who figured out that sounding smart in job interviews could get alot of people suckered into giving him gigs..
  7. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Jim Schwartz.
    Dennis Allen.
    Mike Mularkey.
    Ron Rivera.
    Mike Munchak.

Possibly Greg Schiano and/or Joe Philbin, but the jury's still out on them.

Not to mention "Vacant," who isn't particularly good at coaching and is often a crapshoot to replace.
  8. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,279 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    An NFL HC should have a grasp of strategy and what he wants to do at the end of a half. The clock management has nothing to do with the OC.

I firmly believe we should be structured that way. JG needed an OC from day 1. But the reality is that his game time decisions are abysmal. You assume that he knows what to do but just has too much on his plate to do it. The way he ended the half yesterday would not have been any different with an OC calling the plays. He also gave points to the Saints the week before with abysmal play calling and game strategy to close out the half. Garrett is too inexperienced to be the HC of this team. And, quite frankly, I'm puzzled as to how someone who has played the game and been involved with football/NFL this long lacks a basic understanding of the two minute drill.
  9. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    @RaiderNewsFlash: THIS JUST IN: Norv Turner maybe a Raiders coach again. Turner is on McKenzie and Dennis Allen's wish list for Offensive Coordinator
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    981 Likes Received
    Oh boy. What a list. Rivera just got his team to win 4 in a row, and beat NO team at there place yesterday. I would put him in that mix, except all those guys have experience in this league and coaching.
  11. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I might be OK with this, as this is clearly his biggest weakness. Yet the inability to make this team disciplined or knowledgeable worries me.
  12. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...run the two minute drill. The OC does.

If you feel Garrett has a poor feel for the two minute drill pass it over to the OC.

Garrett's job then is to decide when to turn the switch on for the two minute. Not run it, or coach it, call plays for it or lead practice for it.

Problem solved. It really would then be the problem of the OC and Romo.
  13. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...is the responsibility of the position coaches and ultimately the HC.

Football intelligence is the responsibility of the scouts, the position coaches, the HC and the GM.

Ultimate responsibility is the person who selects the players draft or free agent or trade.

Good coaches coach the stupid out of you or get rid or you.

Good GMs try hard to not pick stupid players, but more importantly identify those players where the stupid can be coached out of them for the good of the team.

One of the basic functions of a football is to rid itself of the stupid.

Ulitmately this applies to mgmt along with the players.

Right now I won't place Garrett in this category. It doesn't mean he won't find a seat in that part of the theatre in the future.
  14. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I'm honestly not sure what point you're trying to make. I'm not thrilled with Garrett, but "worst in the league" is hyperbole. He asked someone to name one worse coach. I named several.

A four-game winning streak and a meaningless road win against a tough opponent hardly makes Rivera a great coach. He's never won as many games in a season as Garrett won this year, and that's not saying much.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Why would they bring in an OC?

Jason's the guy and his offense this year isn't really that much worse than it has been for the last couple years.

So they bring someone in now because Jason can't handle it now, essentially saying that he couldn't handle it then?

If he can't handle it now and it is no worse than it was back then..............and back then is what got him the HC position.........what does that say?

Also, what does it say if they do get an OC when Garrett has been so insistent on being the OC? Garrett doesn't really get to call his own shots?

What a mess.
  16. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...because you basically acknowledge that Garrett has talent for managing a team and getting them ready to play football.

He's just not that good on game days on the sideline with the OC clipboard in his hand to get you over the hump.

If we wanted to stay in the middle third of the league we can stay status quo.

I feel Garrett can get us to the top third with a good OC. He's a good HC.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Schiano?

Schiano in his 1st season after taking a 4-12 team and who has far less to work with on both sides of the ball comes up with 1 less win than Garrett on the season and somehow he may be worse?

Gimme a break.
  18. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,237 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    If you replace one of those coaches with Garrett, do they win anyone games than they did this year in your opinion?
  19. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Did you even watch the first half of the games this season?
  20. CM Duck

CM Duck I'm breaking the 4th wall...

1,008 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Everybody keeps talking about Norv, and I wouldn't mind him coming in as OC.

But there's one possible candidate for OC we are forgetting about...

Doesn't Garrett have a BFF that was rumored to come in last season from the college ranks? His name slips my mind, but I believe he was the OC at Wisconsin(?). And wasn't that coaching staff changed around the past few weeks? Maybe this coach is looking for new gig...?