1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: REPORT: Jerry wants TO *merged*

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    It's so funny watching people who don't like T.O. the person, have absolutely nothing to say with regard to when he steps on the field. He's the best receiver in football, and could help get us to the Super Bowl faster than any 2nd round speedster we're thinking about drafting. Do you honestly think that he could pull stunts with BP as his head coach?
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Yes I don't think TO cares who the coach is. What is funny is those who think TO can change, he has been in the league 10 years going on his 11th season so your not getting a young guy you would be getting a hired gun with an additude problem that seems to cause a lot of problems for those who play with him.
  3. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,494 Messages
    1,135 Likes Received
    Yes, he could.

You can only go by his track record. So the skepticism is understandable.

And if his on-field production were the only thing to consider, they'd be no debate.

But you have to consider the distraction off-field issues bring to a team's on-field performance and a team's reputation.
  4. tyke1doe

20,494 Messages
    1,135 Likes Received
    But what I think you guys fail to mention when you cite Key as an example is that Key ALWAYS had a respect for Bill Parcells. To be quite honest, he's the only coach Key would play for, by Key's own admission.

TO has no such history.

So the comparisons aren't similar.
  5. tyke1doe

20,494 Messages
    1,135 Likes Received
    What's that saying, Fool me once (Haley, once with the 49ers, reformed with the Cowboys) shame on you. Fool me twice (TO with the 49ers, Eagles), shame on me.

Haley may have pissed on the general manager's car (or was it the coach), but as juvenile as that is, that's not damaging to locker room chemistry. Haley, however, was traded, and he didn't act the same again.

TO was considered a locker room cancer not only in San Francisco but in Philadelphia as well. You can't have a player who splits the team, especially when that split involves the leader of the team, who is the quarterback, whether TO likes that or not.

In a sense, in terms of team morale, that's worse than pissing on the GM's car even though the former is the more morally reprehensible and juvenile action.
  6. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    add to that when we got Haley there was no cap, had things not worked out we could have cut him loose with no effect to the team. You sign TO and should things go bad your out the money and a player on the roster who TO would have replaced. I think TO has very good talent as a player but he is not worth the trouble and getting him does not put us any closer to the SB as so many try to claim.
  7. DBoys

DBoys New Member

4,713 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will admit I don't like TO but I will also admit I don't know the guy. I don't dismiss TO's behavior but I will say I understand some of his complaints. If there is any coach in the NFL who can handle TO it would be Parcells. Don't get me wrong it is not like Parcells would be carrying a whip or anything. I for one like when people shoot me straight if they don't they come across as flaky. Reid and McNabb come across that way to me so it probably drove TO nuts because he shoots people straight and speaks his mind. Granted there is a moderation to everything but I think with a coach like Parcells I don't think the same issues will exist. There could be different issues but I am sure Parcells and Jones will talk to players to make sure everyone is onboard. We have a older core of players who want a ring and are more than likely ok with anyone who improves their team.
  8. RESIN8

RESIN8 New Member

950 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just don't understand how Philly would be stupid enough to get rid of Owens to Dallas. The days of the Joey Galloway trade are over and guys can be had at bargain prices. Nowhere is it been more apparent than the RB market. Look at those names out there that went unprotected.

I'm just trying to understand. Is TO free to talk to anyone he wants to or is Philly trying to make the deal to ship him off.

You know i hated Deion Sanders when he played with SF, but when he came to Dallas he made a big time contribution and at the time was worth the price of admission.

The lack of offense has led me to believe that this is a team without an elite player on offense. Really when was the last time that we had an offensive threat that could be argued as the best at his position?
  9. chinch

chinch No Quarter

3,596 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bingo.

Has he ever had a strong, real head coach? The 49ers putz Mariuicci(sp?) was an espn-hyped clown. No discipline. Big Red we all knew had ZERO ability to handle TO and failed to reel him in from day 1.

I can see him having his best years and superbowls w/ Tuna and few other coaches to be honest.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The Cowboys could have cut Haley lose, but they would have flushed a 2nd round draft pick down the toilet had they done so. That's what it cost to aquire Haley in the first place. He didn't come for free.
  11. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    True but there would be no cap implication as we see today when teams release players.
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    So are you saying that you would root against the Cowboys if Owens is signed?

Are you saying that if Dallas wins the superbowl with Owens on the roster, that you would feel disgusted?

Well if this is true then you really need to forget about sports all together. If you only knew what goes on behind the closed doors, you wouldnever root for ANY professional team...drugs, sex scandals, married men envolved in sex orgies at strip clubs, etc... All this goes on with every team whether you acknowledge it or not. The Viking boat incident was not the only sex orgy involving NFL teams, it is just the olny one that made the press.
  13. Phoenix-Talon

Phoenix-Talon Eagles Fan Liaison

5,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathanlt
    I really don't think so. A Super Bowl Trophy is not worth it, if you've gone from Roger Staubach and Randy White, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman to Terrell Owens.

Ya know, for a second there, I pictured his name up there in the Ring of Honor with those guys, and then I realized, he'd never make it up there. He would destroy the team completely, and the Cowboys, (like the two teams before) would have no success with him. He will be released like the other two fiascos he was and is associated with, and will be of no value in trade whatsoever.

We won't win with T.O. And that's more than a prediction, it's a guarantee

14. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,027 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Yes, he would pull stupid stunts. T.O. has no common sense, not even when it's for his own good. He would not win in Dallas. He is a punk! Can't believe you guys still don't get it.

1. He is classless, and will tarnish, no, DESTROY the image of the Cowboys.

2. We won't have a championship team with him here.
  15. nathanlt

2,027 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I didn't even know about this story with Haley. I wasn't quite as informed about the Cowboys off the field issues then. I don't want our team trashed by someone who is much worse than Haley.

Team Dividing, that's what T.O. is all about, and he will wreck the hard working, play for the coach attitude here in Dallas. It WILL happen! AB had a temper tantrum here with Parcells and was gone, as much as I liked him. T.O. will only harm the cap for us.
  16. nathanlt

2,027 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I don't believe that goes on with a class organization like the Patriots. An NFL organization can win with teamwork and selflessness. Since you brought it up, Dallas can and should try to get back to that model. They are the ones that exuded class because of Tom Landry. I know there were some guys like Duane Thomas and Hollywood Henderson, but those Dallas Cowboys were a good group of guys.

And yes, I would be DISGUSTED if T.O. held a Super Bowl trophy over his head while wearing a Dallas Cowboy uniform.

And that doesn't make me any less of a sports fan. In fact, sportsmanship and teamwork are what I want my Cowboys to be about. I don't want them to go down the road they seem to be headed for. The Cowboys are more than just a uniform to me.
  17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Well our past ten years of having a clean-cut reputation sure as hell haven't brought us many Lombardi trophies. T.O. could bring that swagger to Dallas that it had when Deion and Michael was here.

In T.O. past 20 games, he's scored 19 touchdowns. That's basically a TD a game. We sure as hell had a lot of close games last year where we really that one extra TD... Terry Glenn and Terrell Owens would be the best wide receiver duo in football. Terry got doubled teamed almost all of last season, with T.O. on the other side teams would have no choice but to give him man coverage. Think of the possibilities, and lets quit worrying about tarnishing our image...

It's been ten years... We need #6...
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,230 Messages
    5,476 Likes Received
    You must be a hopeless romantic.

And pretty ashamed of this franchise the last time we were winning Super Bowls.
  19. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Yeah drugs and prostitutes are the picture class right? Many of the cowboys in our superbowl years had problems with drugs, run ins with the law, and other moral crimes. So please get off your high horse, there is nothing classy abotu football or its teams. Dallas won with great players who at the time had low moral character. They were champions but hardly classy. Yes I am die hard cowboys fan and I would like to see playmakers in uniform, I could give a damn if they got huge ego's or want money. If they are a play maker I want em. Personally I can't stand Sean Taylor, but I would cheer my *** of if Dallas got him. Give me play makers not some sense of morals that really don't exist in the NFL.
  20. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I wish more fans would view sports like that and to show players their act is has gotten old. The end zone acts that take place is not why I watch football nor would I think most watch the game to see these guys act like idiots and it does not make the game any more entertaining. Sometimes I wish the NFL would just do as the NCAA does and throw a flag for the non-sense that takes place. Players need to play and let the cheerleaders do the dancing.