1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Jon Gruden could be headed to Philly

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Nov 8, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,251 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    It’s been rumored for years that, if/when Eagles coach Andy Reid no longer is coaching the Eagles, former Eagles offensive coordinator Jon Gruden could be lured back to town.

Now, Howard Eskin of WIP and FOX 29 reports that Gruden could be the next coach of the Eagles.

The move, obviously, hinges on the Eagles firing Reid. And on Gruden being interested.

Gruden has made it clear from time to time that he’ll coach again, even as ESPN has tried to make staying in the broadcast booth more and more attractive to the man who led the Bucs to a Super Bowl win a decade ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/08/report-jon-gruden-could-be-headed-to-philly/
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Anyone but Payton and I dont care.
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,565 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    That would suck. Gruden is by far the most entertaining commentator out there. I love listening to him call games.
  4. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Thats great for the Eagles. Wonder if Gruden can get anything outta Vick except turnovers?
  5. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,065 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Why lord,why?
  6. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    If Gruden goes to Philly, then Vick probably won't be his QB
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,672 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    No matter who is coaching the Eagles next year, chances are Vick won't be in Philly unless he agrees to a massive restructuring of his contract which most likely would result in a large pay cut. No way the Eagles are paying Vick $16M+. And I doubt if Vick would take a pay cut to stay in Philly, not with that city and the horrible OL they have. Vick is as good as gone from Philly.

I doubt if CB Namdi will be there too. He is due $16-17M next year.
  8. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,147 Messages
    505 Likes Received

Obviously.

Really? And this is a report?
  9. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    i didnt realize gruden was ever affiliated with Philadelphia. I first heard of him in Oakland. *shrug*
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,730 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    He was having a field day with Philly on Monday night. He was trashing the offensive line and Vick all night long.

I really like the guy and don't want him going there.
  11. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,600 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    If Gruden goes to Philly, he might get them over the top, like Dungy in Tampa.
  12. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,530 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    I thought he was a coach for Holmgren in Green Bay, maybe I am wrong though.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,051 Messages
    7,552 Likes Received
    I don't believe it. I think he's too tight with Andy Reid to take that job. He'd have other options if he wanted to coach next year. You could see as many as 12 openings at the end of the season. Might as well take one that isn't stepping into your buddy's shoes and with a better QB situation.
  14. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,600 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    Gruden was OC for them for 2 years I think back in the Ricky Watters days.
  15. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,940 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Gruden started as a coach in San Francisco, working under Holmgren on the offensive side. He then followed Holmgren to Green Bay, and then went with Ray Rhodes to Philadelphia as the offensive coordinator. From there, he was hired by Al Davis.
  16. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    My thoughts exactly.
  17. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Haslem will pay more so Gruden is going to the Browns or the vols
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,053 Messages
    798 Likes Received
    I just don't see him taking that mess in Philly.
  19. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

705 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Philly has a good team on paper.

If Gruden picks right personnel, he might turn things around over there. I hope it doesn't happen. After Reid, I don't want to see Eagles for a while. Those guys compete for the division for the last 10 something years uninterrupted. I want to see them at the bottom of the division for a few years.
  20. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    and no more Gruden qb camps. One of the most entertaining parts of the off-season.