1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Manning doesn’t want to play for the Redskins

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by rafaelgreco, Mar 8, 2012.

1. rafaelgreco

rafaelgreco Member

85 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    The Washington Post reported Wednesday that the Redskins would make an “aggressive effort” to sign free agent quarterback Peyton Manning. The feeling would have to be mutual for Manning to actually become a Redskin, of course.

According to Chris Russell of ESPN 980 Washington, it isn’t.

Russell appeared on SportsCenter Thursday and, citing multiple sources, reported that Manning doesn’t want to play in the nation’s capital and has already informed the team.

“A couple of different sources inside the organization have told me that Manning’s camp made it pretty clear to Redskins officials he doesn’t want to come here,” said Russell. “… There’s lots of reasons for that. His brother Eli, the colder weather, the whole situation down in Miami and so on and so forth. But unless that changes — and I’m taking my sources at their word — I don’t think Manning’s coming here to D.C.”

This is the first formal report that Manning doesn’t want to play for the Skins, though that reality has been commonly speculated for the past several weeks.

Russell, who hosts a popular radio show in D.C., believes the Washington fan base would prefer Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III over Manning, anyway. If Russell’s report is accurate, the fans stands a much better chance to get their wish.
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I don't think Shanny and Peyton would get along at all. Peyton's not a good fit in that offense, and Shanny is a huge control freak who isn't just going to hand over the reigns to his QB.
  3. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "thank you God" -jason hatcher
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I hope the Skins don't get RGIII either.

I guess it will be between them at the Browns for the number 2 pick, esp if Miami lands Manning.
  5. Q_the_man

Q_the_man Active Member

2,337 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My sources, say it's a toss up between Wash and Mia. Personally I would love to play my brother twice a year instead of once every 4 years... Thats just me though.
  6. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,275 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    The Redskins getting Tannehill scares me more than RG3.
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    You think he's that good a QB prospect? Better than RG3?
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Good one.

You were joking, right?
  9. SDCowboy85

15,275 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    I think he could be. I don't sweat running QBs once teams figure them out. The hype surrounding RG3 has gotten way out of control, IMO.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,024 Messages
    3,495 Likes Received
    Manning’s camp made it pretty clear to Redskins officials he doesn’t want to come here,” said Russell.

Why do I have the feeling Manning camp consisted of Archie and Eli? :laugh2:
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,895 Messages
    2,702 Likes Received
    I just know the Cardinals are going to land him and I'm going to see #18 Cardinals jerseys all over hell just like when Emmitt signed there.
  12. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,238 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning - QB - Colts
    The Washington Post reports the Redskins began the "early stages" of their pitch to free agent Peyton Manning on Thursday morning.
    Despite a report from ESPN 980 Washington that Manning doesn't want to play for the Redskins, the team is "determined to make a strong effort" to sign the quarterback. Sources also tell the Post that Manning's contract was structured to give him the advantage of negotiating a new deal before quarterback-needy teams find other solutions in free agency. Expect a signing by early next week, as FOX Sports' Jay Glazer points out, interested teams want Manning's help in recruiting free agents.
    Related: Redskins
    Source: Washington Post

They still want him badly. As long as they over pay, it's fine by me. Word is: Plan A is Peyton and Plan B is RG3.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Hmmmmm

I still think it's going to be Miami.
  14. SDCowboy85

15,275 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    If you don't mind my asking, what's with your extreme hate of the Cards?
  15. Doomsday101

78,024 Messages
    3,495 Likes Received
    They are going to make Archie really mad. When Archie says one of his boys is not playing some wheres he means it. :laugh2:
  16. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

965 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone outside of Northern Virginia really expected the Redskins to sign him anyway.
  17. Doomsday101

78,024 Messages
    3,495 Likes Received
    Given the game Sean Lee had vs Manning I'm sure he would love it. :laugh2:
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Same here.
  19. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    He looked at film of the Skins OL and decided they might be a pain in the neck
  20. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,895 Messages
    2,702 Likes Received
    1. Former division rival. I hate all division rivals.
    2. I live in AZ so I have to see a lot of the their games despite the fact they are not the favorite team in this state by a huge margin. In fact they are probably 4th favorite statewide.
    3. I don't respect the Bidwell family and how they do business.