1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Report: Manziel was highest rated player on Cowboys board at time of pick

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by KB1122, May 9, 2014.

1. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,918 Messages
    1,592 Likes Received
    Both Walsh and Cousins were drafted because Aikman and RG3 were not NFL proven QBs. Totally different situation than having a proven vet on your team.
  2. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    How old was Aikman when he had his surgery and how old is Romo? Don't get me wrong, I hope Romo comes back 100%. Nothing would make me happier but I was about his age when I had my first back surgery and I can promise you I was not near the man I used to be and I don't get hit by 300lbs guys for a living.

BTW- I had to have a second surgery on a different disc in 2010 so I have been through it twice and both times it has taken it's toll even though the surgery helped me immensely from my pre-surgery conditions.
  3. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,737 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    You do realize the last time Romo played he did the opposite of choke?

Taking JM would have made zero sense and everyone on here knows it. Only reason we're even talking about this guy is because of this board's obsession with throwing Romo under the bus.

I was happy with the 1st pick and am glad Jerry went with the right pick instead of just trying to grab headlines.
    arglebargle likes this.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I can take my opinions about Romo and out them aside. Contrary to popular belief, I have never watched the first full game that Manziel has played in. It boils down to the team having a 34 year old QB coming of two back surgeries passing on a top QB prospect in the draft. They deserve some more post-Aikman years because they clearly didn't learn a lesson. As fans, we will have to suffer through those years .
    cml750 and Air Force One like this.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree with everything you say and I have had right spinal surgeries .
    cml750 likes this.
  6. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    I'm not mincing words, I'm pointing out that there is nothing in Jerry's statement (“Manziel was probably the highest player on the board at the time,”) to indicate that our front office felt that JF was a slam dunk, no brainer, head and shoulders better prospect than either Martin and/or Shazier.
  7. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,543 Messages
    1,225 Likes Received
    http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...aft-2005-aaron-rodgers-cal-bears-jeff-tedford

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4305124 - "Has adequate not ideal size"

Im not saying Johnny is = Aaron, but there were as many questions with Rodgers as with Manziel. I read somewhere S Jones confirmed that the 1t rd grade was 1 offensive and 3 defensive players. If Johnny was rated higher, then he could have had a 1st rd grade. If that report was true, Martin did not according if only 1 offensive player was.

That said, Im fine with the Martin pick, probably better pick, but you dont NOT take a future franchise QB because of the investment of the curent QB who is showing age and signs of wear
  8. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...st-rated-player-passing?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I was going to move on, but this story is too full of insane gems from the mind of Jerry Jones:

9. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

957 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    And a bunch of people passed on Aaron Rodgers.

A crap load of people passed on Randy Moss. Know why? He was a bonehead.

Players get passed on. We don't know if Manzy will be great or be horrible, and I for one am glad the team didn't risk it.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    No way Jason Garrett wanted Manziel.
    Carolina Cowboy likes this.
  11. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,618 Messages
    1,183 Likes Received
    That's the absolute LAST reason why we should be drafting a QB. He's more than good enough with some help but please keep that Crystal ball clean so we can all know the future like you seem to do.
  12. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,262 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    Say what you will about Vince Young, but that story about him looking up at the owner and telling him to "draft Manziel" was pretty cool.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,543 Messages
    1,225 Likes Received
    So GB really screwed up taking Rodgers? Rivers and Brees come to mind as well.
  14. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,673 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    As he should. I'm not sold on Romo as the future. Especially 2 more years from now. Heck even 1
    Air Force One likes this.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    That is where you lose the argument. It has nothing to do with Romo. It has to do with the years after Romo is gone. The Romo defenders feel so threatened by the ideal of having a QB ready to step in when he is gone and they should be happy that the team is prepared. Take the Barnes and emotions out if it and fans would say it was foolish not to have a replacement .
  16. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

392 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    That is completely disingenuous. Jerry Jones has stated several times why he didn't want to take a qb. There are several reasons with that one perhaps being the least important one.

Secondly you certainly can't call not drafting a QB "bizarro dallas". Historically teams very rarely draft a QB in the first round if they have a guy who is playing well going into the following year. Teams typically do not preemptively draft qbs. That's why one of them falls every other year.

Thirdly the salary cap woes had nothing to do with the Romo negotiations they were always going to resign him.
  17. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    And everybody passed on Tom Brady
  18. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
  19. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    People who have had back problems like me have doubts he will make a season much. I hope I am wrong but somehow know I am not. Even if he does make the season he will never be quite the same.
    Wayne02, Frozen700 and McLovin like this.
  20. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I'm glad they picked Martin, even if the way they went there has me concerned