1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Report: Obama to Offer Israel 'Nuclear Umbrella' Against Iran

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Route 66, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Route 66

Route 66 Well-Known Member

3,359 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Report: Obama to Offer Israel 'Nuclear Umbrella' Against Iran

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/ele...ort-obama-offer-israel-nuclear-umbrella-iran/

U.S. president-elect will offer Israel a strategic pact designed to fend off any nuclear attack on the Jewish state by Iran, an Israeli newspaper reports.

President-elect Barack Obama will offer Israel a strategic pact designed to fend off any nuclear attack on the Jewish state by Iran, an Israeli newspaper reported on Thursday.

Haaretz, quoting an unnamed source, said the Obama administration would pledge under the proposed "nuclear umbrella" to respond to any Iranian strike on Israel with a "devastating U.S. nuclear response."

Granting Israel a nuclear guarantee would essentially suggest the U.S. is willing to come to terms with a nuclear Iran, the paper reported.

According to the paper's source, Obama's nuclear guarantee would be backed by a new and improved Israeli anti-ballistic missile system. The Bush administration took the first step by deploying an early-warning radar system, which enhances the ability to detect Iranian ballistic missiles.

No immediate comment from Israeli officials or the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv was offered.

Iran denies its nuclear program has military designs. But tough anti-Israel rhetoric from Tehran has spread fears that the Israelis, who are believed to have the Middle East's only atomic arsenal, could attack their arch-foe pre-emptively.

The source, according to Haaretz, noted that the discussion of the possibility of a nuclear Iran undermines efforts to prevent Tehran from acquiring such arms.

A senior Bush administration source reportedly said the nuclear umbrella was ridiculous and lacked credibility.

"Who will convince the citizen in Kansas that the U.S. needs to get mixed up in a nuclear war because Haifa was bombed? And what is the point of an American response, after Israel's cities are destroyed in an Iranian nuclear strike?," he said.
  2. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    More war in he region for us ,yay!
    The exit strategy I see.:rolleyes:
  3. jman

jman Well-Known Member

1,766 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Can you say Cold War II...
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    God, this guy is a moron.

Instead of dealing with Iran the right way and preventing them from getting the thing, he says, "After you are nuked and dead, trust me, I'll bomb them for you."

This guy is already an embarrassment. What joke.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,213 Messages
    2,716 Likes Received
    IF this is true then its the first stupid thing he has thought to do. It has been pretty well established that Israel got nuclear weapons in the late 70's. Iran knows that if they nuke israel they will get it back with COMPOUND INTEREST. So the US offering to retaliate would be the biggest joke in the middle east. I hope this was a typically dumb idea by someone with no real interest- because if this is example of Obama thinking we are in deep doo doo.
  6. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,648 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Agree.

Troubled times ahead.
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

6,163 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    And after they finally get done nuking each other, there will finally be peace in the Modeast. Nothing living there, but real peaceful.

America's response would be too little, too late. Empty promise.

My guess: Israel will take matters into their own hands and destroy Iran's nuke program, very soon, like in the next half year.
  8. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Read between the lines. This offer is an attempt to get Israel to abandon any plans they may have for a preemptive strike. Let Iran go nuclear, we will hit them back if they hit you first. Problem of course is that only one or two nukes would be enough to reduce Israel to a stone-age society owing to its small size. The fires and loss of real as well as technological infrastructure (power, water treatment, etc) would keep Israel so busy that Iran could march right in, assuming they even want to march in. Iran may be content with turning Israel to an irradiated glass lake, and let the society collapse on its own. But I even have my doubts as to that. Ahmadinejad has clearly stated his belief in the 12th Imam. In that sect of Islamic thinking, the purpose of the followers is only to hasten the return of the 12th Imam by sparking a world-wide war in as destructive a fashion as possible...nuclear war certainly fits that bill. That being the case, Ahmadinejad probably only wants one or two nukes, hit Isreal forcing a retaliation by both Isreal and the US. He's also counting on other nations, such as Russia, to draw up sides against us. Thereby (in his mind) hopefully sparking a larger war.
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I would love to listen in on the conversation's he has promised to hold with the pig of Iran.
  10. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,842 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    How exactly do your propose we stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon without getting into another war that is absolutely unthinkable given our current military and economic situation?

Remember, talking to them is a no-no as well. Obama was already criticized like crazy or that idiotic thought.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,297 Messages
    2,204 Likes Received
    Where did this article say that Obama doesn't want to prevent Iran from getting nukes in the first place? It doesn't, so that is just a poor assumption on your part. You are the embarrassment who jumps to the wrong conclusions before Obama has even been sworn into office. It is quite comical.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I don't understand the need for a 'Nuclear Umbrella' for Israel anyway. Obama promised he would talk to the Muslim world and it's insane leaders and all will be well. No worries. I trust Obama will live up to his promises.
  13. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nuclear umbrella?
    When I heard Obama was "the one" I did not know he was Neo from "The Matrix"..Neobama...it makes sense now.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You don't talk to them without precondition. You give them two options. Stop the development or face stiff sanctions. And if that fails like it probably will, take out the reactor.

You don't think we are able to do that?
  15. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh please. You aren't that stupid are you? you really think that he has any desire to stop them? He is on record as saying he would sit down without preconditions with any despite, dictator or thug and talk.

What is embarrassing is there are so many people that actually bought this dope's story, hook, line and sinker.

And comical is watching sycophants play cow tow to his whimsy at every turn.

Oh, he can do no wrong!:rolleyes:
  16. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No one thinks that this would be an increased deterrent?
  17. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    With Israel nuked and essentially destroyed why would Obama then nuke Iran? He would talk about how we need to allow the UN to place sanctions on Iran and creating another all out war in the middle east would not be conducive to peace.

So no, I don't think Obama will nuke Iran over Israel.

Just a hunch.
  18. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You don't think that the threat of nuclear retaliation from multiple sources would deter Iran from attacking Israel in the first place?
  19. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Obama? A deterrent? Are you crazy? Iran not to mention Russia, loves having a neophyte like Barack in office. Why would anyone take Obama seriously? He is a clown birthed from the cesspool of Chicago politics. All fear the mighty community organizer. Beware!

Iran and Russia are laughing right now.
  20. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Obama's a clown who was born in poop, got it.