1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Repubs Fire on Pelosi

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ShiningStar, May 18, 2009.

1. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Republicans to Pelosi: Prove Your Case or Apologize to CIA

House Minority Leader John Boehner told FOX News that lying to Congress is a crime, so if Speaker Nancy Pelosi thinks agency officials did so, she needs to present evidence and have the Justice Department prosecute it or apologize for casting aspersions.

It's week two and Republicans aren't about to let House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's accusation that the CIA lied to Congress slip between the cracks.
    House Minority Leader John Boehner told FOX News on Monday that "the ball is in the speaker's court." If she is accusing the CIA of lying, she "needs to come forward, either present evidence or do an apology, and let's get this behind us."
    "Lying to Congress is a crime. Purposely misleading Congress is a crime. And if the speaker is accusing the intelligence community of lying to her or purposefully misleading her, then she ought to present that evidence, turn it over to the Justice Department, have them prosecute it," Boehner said.
    But Boehner did not call for Pelosi's ouster.
    "Let's not get too far down the road here. I'm not going to take anything off the table, but I do believe that -- that the ball is in her court. And she has to either put up or have an apology and move on," he said.
    Pelosi caused a stir last week when she accused the CIA of misleading Congress about its use of enhanced interrogation techniques on terror detainees, particularly on Abu Zubaydah.
    "Yes I am saying the CIA was misleading the Congress, and at the same time the (Bush) administration was misleading the Congress on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, to which I said that this intelligence doesn't support the imminent threat," Pelosi said at her weekly news conference on Thursday.
    "Every step of the way the administration was misleading the Congress and that is the issue and that's why we need a truth commission," she said.
    On Friday, CIA Director Leon Panetta issued a letter to CIA staff repeating his statement of a day earlier that the agency's response to congressional inquiries shows that "our contemporaneous records from September 2002 indicate that CIA officers briefed truthfully on the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah, describing 'the enhanced techniques that had been employed.' Ultimately, it is up to Congress to evaluate all the evidence and reach its own conclusions about what happened."
    "I think that it's pretty clear that Mr. Panetta and the CIA believe that they were truthful in their briefings to Ms. Pelosi. There's been no reason to lie," Boehner said Monday.
    According to a Rasmussen poll out on Monday, 43 percent of voters nationwide say they believe the CIA could have misled Pelosi about the use of waterboarding while 41 percent said that's unlikely. The belief and disbelief tracked closely with political party affiliation.
    The poll of 1,000 likely voters taken over the weekend has a 3 percent margin of error. In it, 58 percent said they don't want any probes of how the Bush administration treated terrorism suspects.
    Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., said that Pelosi either needs to prove her case or apologize.
    "If indeed Nancy Pelosi has lied, which it seems to me that she has, then she either needs to resign or at the very least have a public and open apology to the CIA," Franks said.
    Franks then accused Democrats, including Pelosi, of constantly undermining the Bush administration for political points.
    "They held themselves completely unconstrained to the truth in all of those debates and it was I think damaging to our country and damaging to our national security, and it seems like now that they are in the supermajority, they've completely disinvited the truth from the entire discussion," Franks said.
    "We could be facing nuclear jihad in the coming years, and being able to rely on what people say is of more and more importance to the American people," he added.
    Franks acknowledged that for now it's more advantageous to Republicans for Pelosi to stay in office.
    "Politically it might be better for us if she stays in because I think she's lost credibility with the American people, and it's easier for us to point out some of the foibles of the Democrat leadership with her in the leadership," he said.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yeah good luck with that. :laugh2:
  3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    everyone knows Pelosi is a POS, but this is just getting ********

I think there's more important things for them to be worrying about
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This seems like a perfectly reasonable request, if you ask me.
  5. BadWolf

BadWolf Member

182 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought they were trying to shoot her, such a disappointment. I was going to say they should just get Cheney to do it, he could shoot her in the face from a whole 3 feet away.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,482 Messages
    2,370 Likes Received
    She's just a terrible House Speaker---regardless of your politics.
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    More and more people think she's going to have to step down eventually, she's becoming an embarrassment. So let's have this kept in the news as long as possible, please.
  8. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I think they should keep on the heat, had this been a republican it would be front page NY times to have them step down and resign your seat...
  9. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

I agree, they can go on and on about Cheney, but Pelosi, ohhh its not her fault.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    He only shoots his friends.
  11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Bob Graham: I Wasn’t Told About Waterboarding Or EITs In My Briefing

Former Senator Bob Graham, who received a classified briefing on terror detainees during the same month in the fall of 2002 as Nancy Pelosi, was not briefed about the use of either waterboarding or enhanced interrogation techniques during the meeting, he claimed in an interview with me.

Graham’s assertion — his first public comments since the release of the intelligence document detailing torture briefings given to members of Congress — directly contradicts the document’s claim that he had been briefed on enhanced interrogation techniques, or EITs. Graham is now the second Dem official to deny on the record the document’s contents and raises questions about its claim that Pelosi had been told, which she has denied.

“I do not have any recollection of being briefed on waterboarding or other forms of extraordinary interrogation techniques, or Abu Zubaydah being subjected to them,” Graham told me by phone moments ago, in a reference to the terror suspect who had been repeatedly waterboarded the month before.

Graham is the only other Dem aside from Pelosi to get briefed in 2002, so they are both in effect asserting that no Dem was briefed on the use of EITs that year. The date of the next briefing was in February 2003.

Graham claimed he would have remembered if he’d been told about the use of torture. “Something as unexpected and dramatic as that would be the kind of thing that you would normally expect to recall even years later,” he said.

The documents released late last week state that Graham, then the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and ranking Republican Richard Shelby, were briefed on September 27, 2002 and given a “description of the particular EITs that had been employed” on Abu Zubaydah. The document says that Pelosi received a similar briefing earlier that month, though the letter accompanying the doc acknowledges that the CIA can’t vouch for its accuracy.

Graham denied being told about EITs, and argued that the presence of two staff members at the meeting (as indicated in the records) would have made it “highly unusual” for the briefers to divulge such sensitive info. “I don’t recall having had one of those kinds of briefings with staff present,” he said. “That would defeat the purpose of keeping a tight hold” on the info.

Graham, however, was circumspect on what was actually discussed, saying only that “the general topic had to do with detainee interrogations” but didn’t include any reference to EITs or waterboarding.

Graham’s claims come as evidence remains mixed about what Pelosi knew and when. Though she has denied being told that torture was being used, the CIA docs claim that a top Pelosi aide was told about it in the spring of 2003.

The CIA declined comment on Graham’s claim, but a U.S. official said: “CIA records indicate that several people, including former Senator Graham, were briefed on enhanced interrogation techniques.”

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/t...d-about-waterboarding-or-eits-in-my-briefing/
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,800 Messages
    1,671 Likes Received
    Does not matter what they do as long as its a lib concord will shill for them/defending Pelosi= how low can you go?

ANd that site= daily kos has more credibility then a blog no matter who runs it(and that is a pretty sad thing to say in itself)
  13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    burm, your running feud with Democrats on here is really fun to watch

keep it up
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    +1...
  15. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Show me ONE...just ONE post on this forum where I have ever defended Pelosi.

Do it or shut up.

As a matter of fact I can't stand Pelosi.

But the fact of the matter is Graham keeps detailed notes...in his special notebooks...like everything he does from the time he gets up until the time he goes to bed...and has done this for 30 YEARS.

He has thousands of these notebooks.

So he asked the CIA to give him the dates that he was supposed to get some briefings from the CIA and out of 4 dates that they gave him...3 of those days he has NOTHING in his notes about any CIA briefing...as in they didn't happen or the CIA was mistaken.

So while I'm not defending Pelosi...now another person who keeps extremely detained notes on his life...EVERY day of his life...is now saying the same thing as Pelosi.

Something to think about...of course that would require you to actually think...so I'm not expecting much.
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    LIBS!! go home!
  17. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    My work here is never done! :p:
  18. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,839 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    That's funny how you say "so while I'm not defending Pelosi" and then go on to do exactly that which you say you aren't doing :D :D :D
  19. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That's not defending her.

I'm saying someone else had the same issue...and he kept VERY DETAILED NOTES.

Needs to be checked out before we hang her.

That's all.

Now if she's lying and she very well could be...then lets hang her. :p:
  20. ShiningStar

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

man he will defend her til the end.

And really, a politician lying? Surely you dont think she'd lie? Or any politician? What is your definition of lying? You know shes not telling you the truth, no one whos telling the truth tells that many stories. How many times does the truth have to come out.

A politician telling the truth, you crack me up.