1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Researchers: Toddler cured of HIV

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Mar 4, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,737 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/03/health/hiv-toddler-cured/index.html

Researchers: Toddler cured of HIV

(CNN) -- It's a potential game changer in the fight against HIV, and doctors say it happened almost by accident.

A baby with the virus that causes AIDS was given high doses of three antiretroviral drugs within 30 hours of her birth. Doctors knew the mother was HIV positive and administered the drugs in hopes of controlling the virus.

Two years later, there is no evidence of HIV in the child's blood.

The Mississippi girl is the first child to be "functionally cured" of HIV, researchers announced Sunday. They said they believe early intervention with the antiretroviral drugs was key to the outcome.

A "functional cure" is when the presence of the virus is so small, lifelong treatment is not necessary and standard clinical tests cannot detect the virus in the blood.
  2. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Step one: Cure HIV
    Step two: Price cure exorbitantly high
    Step three: Profit
  3. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    So, in other words, they think that might have solved it. We should give all babies those drugs.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    *Shakes head

Shameful

Wow..just freaking wow.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,939 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Sounds like the first big step in what will hopefully lead to them finding a cure for this.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Heck yes! I've been wanting a good reason to throw away my prophylactics.:laugh2:
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,405 Messages
    2,117 Likes Received
    I don't think you understand.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,603 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received

And right now due to regulations and lawsuits the development of new drugs has been significantly slowed here. And will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future.

We had bubonic plague and no cure. We had syphilis. We had mumps, measles, smallpox, varicella etc in the New World. We had influenza in 1918. We had polio and now HIV. What are the costs to develop cures for those vs the savings in preventing it. Polio alone looked to create an unmanageable burden at one time caring for the sick and invalid. Not to mention saving lives and making life more abundant. Malaria remains with HIV. And now organic brain syndromes.

If those companies can't develop drugs and we can't pay for basic research the cost to mankind is incalculable. The need to make money to keep stockholders happy as well as fund continuing work on new drugs. Most drugs in development are dry holes.
  9. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,565 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    i truly hope so.
  10. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,094 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Obviously not.
  12. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Oh, I understand, and this is great news for the kid. However, it doesn't look like they are absolutely sure that's what cured it.
  13. Denim Chicken

3,028 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Exactly, most who have HIV are in poverty and can't afford treatment which makes researching and curing the disease less profitable. However, treating the disease (not curing) remains a cash cow.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,603 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    You missed the point. They can't develop new medicines without a boatload of capital as the very vast majority of chemicals don't work well or are toxic yada. And even if they make it to trials it takes years to get them to the public and many don't even make it out of trials anyway.

So without money you don't get the new drugs to cure diseases. Get it??

In Africa the first thing I learned was you don't do anything completely for free even if your services are free to the hospital and patient. The hospital charges something the patient/family can afford. Or you'll get overwhelmed and many take the meds you give them and sell them. So there is an order to things.

NOTHING is free.

And I edited out the unacceptable part of your post.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    Yep. I know for some now days the thought of profit is somehow looked at as bad but without profit there is no investment for more research and newer drugs to help treat and or cure various illnesses.

I have RA and thankful that through research and new medications that my illness can be controlled many others were not as lucky as the medications where not available when they were diagnosed with RA.

As for as the pharmaceutical company who manufacture Orencia, Bristol-Myers I can't complain since they help me in being able to pay for the treatments that I need once a month. Without their patient assistant program I could not afford the treatment
  16. Denim Chicken

3,028 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    No, I understand. It's a product of putting for-profit corporations in charge of R&D and distribution.
  17. Doomsday101

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    and it is not just about profit. Yes profit is important but to think that they have no desire to cure it ridicules.
  18. Denim Chicken

3,028 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    No, what is ridiculous if believing that that the large pharma companies care about anything other than the bottom line.
  19. Doomsday101

75,847 Messages
    2,096 Likes Received
    Yes they care about the bottom line they also have professional who believe in what they are doing in trying to find cures for various illness. Sorry this jaded view that they don't give a damn is just not true. You seem to think making profits are bad? If they make no profit they will not stay in business very long that is how life works no profit, no pay, no business. That is reality but to act as if they don't care BS
  20. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    step 4 - altruists step in and declare this medicine is a right. ignoring the years of research, the millions spent and all the long hours away from family and friends working on a lucrative cure.