1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Resigning Anthony Spencer

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 1, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,804 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I know its not going to be easy to do, but i think it is a easy choice. I personally think you have to do it. So i searched the internet and last yr the Niners signed Ahmad Brooks for 6 yrs 44.5 mil and a 17.5 SB.

Thats not bad at all. Spencer will be around this ballpark. 17.5 over 6 yrs comes down to about 2.9 mil for the prorated portion of his deal. And most likely he will be a vet min base salary for next yr if they can work out the deal. So Anthony can be about 4-5 mil cap hit the first yr. That would be awsome and welcomed.

I think a deal has to get done
  2. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Scared to give Spencer that big deal at 29 years old.. We have made too many mistakes lately extending guys like Miles-Sensabaugh-Hamlin-Free-Ratliff... I would rather franchise the guy, probably would piss him off but would at least keep the fire in his belly.. If Jerry & Stephen find some creative way to make the contract cap friendly throughout the years.. Still have to extend Romo & Sean Lee
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,248 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Either franchise him or let him go. Too much money long term. Let's learn from our mistakes.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Spencer just put up a number better than Ahmad Brooks ever has.

Last year you might have been able to get him for that amount. Now? No way. I actually think prior to this season that the Brooks deal would have been a little high for him because of their career paths. Brooks was trending up while Spencer had appeared to plateau. Now though, I think Spencer is probably looking down at the Brooks deal and seeing a guy who has never played on the level he did this year and will likely ask for more.

Also, your prorated signing bonus amount is off. You can only spread a bonus over 5 years, as I myself was corrected on just a couple weeks ago.

So it would be 3.5M

Additionally, Brooks only got 7.5M in signing bonus money.

And according to Spotrac, his contract was 6 years, 37M. I think the remainder is incentives but I'm not sure. I've read some different articles on his contracts at different points and the numbers bounced around.

I really don't think the Brooks deal is likely at this point.

He just made 9M this season alone. He was paid 9M for production that was notches below where he came in. Why would he take a deal that has an average of 7M, much of which may not ever even get to his wallet if he gets cuts.

Bottom line is, Dallas painted itself into a corner last year regarding Spencer. You don't franchise guys to wait and see how it shakes out. You either get less than their dollar is worth, get what you have been getting which at that point wasn't even close to being worth it...........or you get what Dallas got. They got more than they had ever anticipated and now after paying for a 6 sack guy, he gave 11.

Price has gone up. I don't think Dallas can afford the guy when you consider the massive gaping holes on OL. Their best move is to franchise tag him and trade him.

In reality, the team isn't all that close. Look around the league, tons of teams fall in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. It's not like slight improvements puts Dallas into serious contention. It will put them in a position to play the "get in and see what happens" game but that shouldn't be your primary objective. Lots of holes, lots of question marks and it's time to just face facts and spend some time actually rebuilding. The cost of signing Spencer could be spread out to 2-3 quality players. If you can get a good draft pick for him, now you're talking about acquiring 3-4 players in place of Spencer.

He had a great season and earned a paycheck bigger than Dallas should be interested in paying. They have no business tying up money on a guy of his age after a breakout year. Any chance he ever plays out a 6 year deal? I doubt it. He's turning 29 in a few weeks and doesn't have the track record to make anyone think he could play at a high level well into his 30s.
  5. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Franchising him would most likely mean that Dallas restructures other players, thereby making the situation long term.

I don't know what the number would be, some have said close to 11M.

It's not like Dallas has unlimited cap space right now. Eat cap space now and push some money to the future with the franchise tag or sign him long term and have money committed to the future. Kind of seems like 2 roads leading to the same place.

Only advantage may be that the franchise tag would lower cumulative effect but the trade off is the hit right now.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Spencer made $8.8 million this year. We franchize him again its 120% of that.
    $10.6 million

Some team will offer him at least $8 million a year and possibly more. He will want as long term a deal as possible.

no way can we afford him
  7. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

720 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    As awesome as he was this year, lets face it he is going to be 30 and chances of him having another great season again decline as he gets older. Why give him 4 or 5 years? Do we want another Jay Ratliff situation? Stuck to a bad contract and declining player. Most players after getting good contract drastically get worse. I say franchise him and let him go next year. He won't be happy but at least he will be playing with everything he's got.

Then we can focus on trenches this year and next years draft his replacement unless Albright proves it can be him
  8. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,379 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Good post great info, thanks.
  9. Word Mofo

Word Mofo Active Member

773 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Franchise him to defer having to draft an OLB one more year
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,804 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ts-175m-guaranteed-in-sixyear-deal-with-49ers
    Brooks gets $17.5M guaranteed in six-year deal with 49ers

Brooks signed a six-year, $44.5 million contract extension with San Francisco on Tuesday that will take him through the 2017 season and keep one of the NFL's best linebacker units intact. The deal is worth $17.5 million guaranteed, said his agent, Greg Williams.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,804 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    My point being Spencers value falls somewhere in that range. Dallas will most likely work in the vet min in his first yr so his cap will not be more than 5 his first yr of the deal.
  12. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    That was the early report. As I said the numbers were all over the place.

Here's a 9ers fan site.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/3/...ct-more-details-on-the-49ers-complicated-deal
  13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,804 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    oh ok. I still think Spencer will be somewhere between 40-45 mil. And could possibly be lower. Of course he could be overpaid by somebody. I just dont think Dallas can afford to lose him. The way Ryan started to use him was damn good. Imagine using him the same way with Lee and Carter in there aswell
  14. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Spencer walk away at this point. This last game he showed why the Cowboys have reservations about giving him a long term deal.

Personally I think he'd be better off as a LDE in a 4-3 scheme, where he can use his speed to get to the QB and don't worry too much against the run. However, as an OLB playing opposite of Ware, he's not close to " Carl Banks " status ( my personal bench mark when it comes to an OLB playing oppossite superstar OLB in a 3-4 ). He breaks containment too much and he's not particularly instinctive against the run. Not his fault since he's a natural pass rushing 4-3 DE. He should just go to a system that's better suited for his strengths..
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,804 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    You kidding about Spencer and the run right?
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,269 Messages
    7,035 Likes Received
    At least the reasons for not resigning him have all shifted from him not being good enough to him being 29 years old or him (now) being too expensive after his fantastic season.

Progress marches slowly. I mean, it should march quickly, but it marches slowly in this case for some reason.
  17. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

276 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Uhhh what :confused:
  18. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,211 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I totally agree with Hoofbite - franchise him and look to trade him. His value will never be higher than it is right now.
  19. This is Our Year

This is Our Year Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike

1,396 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    He was this defenses best player this season; bring the man back of course, but make it a smart deal.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    He finally tried in a contract year, no way you can trust him.