1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Review Morris Claiborne's Rookie Season

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MissouriCowboy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...rett-jerome-henderson-review-morris-claiborne

Garrett and Henderson both remain very optimistic about Claiborne's future, while acknowledging that there are still areas in which Claiborne needs to improve despite a fairly smooth transition to the NFL ranks in his rookie season.

FACEBOOK

TWITTER
    Over the last couple of weeks, the Cowboys coaching staff - at least what's left of that staff - has been busy evaluating and grading their player personnel from the 2012 season. The coaches have spent a lot of time coaching and developing their players in practice, they have a good grasp of the potential of each player, and they've reviewed hours upon hours of game tape of each player.

And while we won't ever be privy to the exact grades and the exact conversations going on behind closed doors, both Jason Garrett and returning secondary coach Jerome Henderson talked about their evaluation of rookie CB Morris Claiborne last week.

Henderson thought Claiborne had a successful rookie year:
  2. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,707 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    I sincerely hope he takes a big leap next year, I wasnt all that impressed by his rookie campaign.
  3. Mattsdad

Mattsdad Member Zone Supporter

593 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Based ONLY on this year, I say he was solid but not someone I would have given up a 2nd rounder for as well. Very early to tell, but lets keep our fingers crossed that by the end of year 3, he has developed into one of the top5 corners in the league.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,798 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    It good they "remain" optimistic. Would be horrible if they didnt after his rookie year huh.:D
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He doesn't look fast enough to be a shutdown type player.

I hope we see more evidence of playmaking ability. He made one INT on a popup and picked up a loose ball for a TD which weren't particularly spectacular plays. The one great play he made in the Chicago game was overruled and then the one he made against the Saints in OT to force the fumble actually worked in the Saints' favour because Jimmy Graham recovered the ball.

He was okay but only played like a late first rounder, not like a top 10 pick. I was quite disappointed after they hyped him as the second best player in the draft (above RG3, Trent Rich, Kalil, Tannehill).

IMO, Wagner outplayed him by a decent margin and Brockers looks like a quality starter at DT that we could badly use next year. The trade also looks like a pretty decent failure at this time. He will have to fulfill his All-Pro type projection to make the deal worthwhile.
  6. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

303 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    He is not a revis type of player. Not as fast nor as strong as DR. Temper expectations.
  7. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,993 Messages
    1,766 Likes Received
    Those expectations were set when the Cowboys front office said after they drafted him that they had him as the best CB prospect to enter the NFL in the past 23 years since Deion Sanders entered the league in 1989.

What I am curious about is if the Front Office truly believe that or not. Not sure why would have said it unless they believed it.
  8. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,881 Messages
    1,829 Likes Received
    Probably Lacewell flapping his trap.
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,004 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    Great season for a rookie corner. It's obvious how talented he is.
  10. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    I would argue that part of the reason he didn't look outstanding was due to scheme. To me he played at a starting CB level as a rookie. I wasn't worried about him very much. But he was drafted to press receivers and he was not allowed to do that this year.
  11. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

303 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    He is not strong enough to press NFL receivers at this point in his career. I have my doubts to if he can add mass and still keep his 4.5 speed.
  12. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,933 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm not sure what everyone is looking at.
  13. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Revis wasn't Revis his first year.

A lot of you are going to eat your own words, cause this kid definitely has it.
  14. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Exactly. Corner seems like one of the toughest positions to transition from College to the NFL. Him not being a liability in his first year represents just how good he can be in the future IMO
  15. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,707 Messages
    1,484 Likes Received
    Revis "wasn't Revis" his first year but he still had a much more impressive rookie season than Claiborne, posted 30 more tackles, tripled the interceptions, and doubled his passes defended. You can make the scheme argument but like another poster said he's not big enough yet, he needs to add atleast 10 pounds of muscle.
  16. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,798 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    They also play a much more different style of DEF. Revis plays man. Mo played too much zone. We'll see how he does this yr.
  17. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,814 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    He could probably stand to put on a bit more muscle, but I don't think he's had many issues pressing NFL receivers.

Also his game speed looks to be faster than his 40 time.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    He is as fast with excellent agility. He certainly is no where near as strong and hasn't shown the awareness.

But he was playing man press coverage as a rookie in the NFL. That's about as hard as it gets after QB.

Anyone not impressed with him probably has a very limited football IQ.

Now as to how improves and grows that is up to his work ethic and ability to learn.

But there are 32 NFL teams that would love to have him including this one.
  19. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,150 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Deion wasn't Primetime his first year as well, he had quite a few games where he was burnt toast. Corners tend to make a major leap there second year, there footwork and awareness improves greatly. Remember with Jenkins we were questioning whether he was going to beat out Scandrick, but his game elevated to another level after his rook year. Claiborne is going to tear things up next season.
  20. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    This summed it up perfectly IMO.