1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Review Morris Claiborne's Rookie Season

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MissouriCowboy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    I'll gladly take a rookie starting cornerback who allows less than 40 yards per game.
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Not sure what to think of Claiborne's rookie season. He was a starting CB on a Cowboys teams that posted the worst pass defense rating (95.7 opposing QB rating) in team history -- greater than the 94.2 allowed by the 6-10 2004 team and the 93.9 given up by the 1-15 1989 team.

The other CB was $50m pickup in Brandon Carr.

I thought he played ok -- not sure about 40 yards a game or whatever but the defense was in absolute desperate need of some turnovers of which he contributed little.

I'll give a pass for his a rookie season -- it's really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff for the 2012 pass defenders.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well this thread is about Mo, but if want to question the direction of the franchise in general thats a different story. Ravens have Webb and 9ers have Rogers, and although I know it is cool to dog the Cowboys moves, trying to solidify a premium position isn't a bad move. Now if we were talking handing out bad contracts, then you would have a point, but in the drafting of Mo you really have none.

If you think we have a bunch of shiny or fancy players, then you think we have more talent than I think we do. Mo, Carr, and Dez can maybe be considered fancy, but thats really about it. It takes a while to build up talent, and really this team is still in the mode of trying to rebuild that talent base cause of bad drafts from 06-09, all we can do at this point is hope for a 4th straight good draft in a row.
  4. EvilJerry88

EvilJerry88 Active Member

356 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yet when you look at the percentage of passes being completed on him, it's not impressive. Add in the single interception, penalties and poor tackling. It's not overly impressive.
  5. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Lol guys this kid has got it. He needs to work on his tackling. That was the only significant hole in his game IMO. He is strong enough to press at the NFL level, not sure why anyone would think he isn't. Don't forget that teams didn't really throw at him that much. He is gonna be just fine for us.
  6. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,927 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    No kidding. This guy comes in as a rookie, plays one of the hardest positions in the NFL after no training camp due to injury, and get's a stat like that. He's going to be a good one for us for years to come.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    And let's not forget the 49ers drafted Smith #1 overall, Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree in the top 10 and drafted a WR with their 1st round pick this year. All fancy toys.

Only thing the 49ers have that we don't is a solid OL and safety play. We get that and we can compete with the 49ers.

Back to the topic. I don't think Wagner would have been our pick. I think we may have went with Konz, so would you rather have Mo or Brockers/Konz. With the now change to the 4-3, I take 2 over one. Brockers and Konz solidify the lines. That's what we need.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,033 Messages
    1,139 Likes Received
    He gave up 3 passes per game with 36 yards per game. If you're not impressed by that, it's because you're ignorant, not because its isn't impressive.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    You've got your facts and/or your stats wrong.
  10. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    The devil is in the details in the stats. Most of the season the team was playing from behind which means teams did not pass as much. So his numbers do look good on yards allowed but his tackle numbers seem to be low because if a team is running more your front 7 are going to make the lion share of tackles. I like what I saw but right now I am on the fence, he could be a better version T-New or he could be poor man's Revis.
  11. AdamJT13

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Yes, it is. If he allowed a high percentage of completions and still allowed less than 40 yards per game, that means he's allowing mostly short completions and/or is not being targeted very often. Both of those are good things.

He was penalized in only two games -- both games that we won.
  12. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    1,199 Likes Received

here comes adam with those pesky facts again...:bow:
  13. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,817 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    The most underrated stat for CBs is number of targets. If a CB is not being targeted often, he's doing a good job.
  14. cnhnyy

cnhnyy Member

474 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    One of reasons we had an Ok passing defense (yardwise,at 14th) was that we only led 23% of the time. Other team would just slow the game and run out of the clock.

However, when our opponents decided to pass, they passed at will with a QB rating of 94.7. When you have a 50 M corner and a top 6 pick rookie, you would expect a better result. Only three teams (Chiefs, eagles and Raiders) did worse than us and all will be drafting in top four this year.

Of course, For the teams that went deep in the playoff, their opponent QB ratings were usually abysmal. 49ers, seahawks, falcons, and packers are among the top six ( Opp QB ratings were all below 78.0) in the catergory.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,847 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    They were taking advantage of the safeties more than the cbs and then the LBs when both inside guys got hurt.
  16. AdamJT13

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Too bad most of the people who judge cornerbacks based on "metrics" don't realize that simple fact.
  17. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,033 Messages
    1,139 Likes Received
    The average NFL defense faced 556 pass attempts in 2012. We faced 511 pass attempts. Are you saying that less than 3 pass attempts per game against the entire defense distorts Claiborne's pass coverage statistics?

Seems incredibly unlikely. Claiborne was targeted on 13% of pass attempts against our defense. An extra 40 or so pass attempts would have resulted in 4-6 extra targets for Claiborne over the entire season, which wouldn't have affected is coverage statistics in any significant way.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,483 Messages
    2,370 Likes Received
    Can't imagine anyone would argue too much with that. Their Dline may be better as well though.
    Oh yeah, they also have the best LB corp. If outs is healthy, it's strong too...big if.

In any case, that's a LOT of positions to upgrade.
    Here's hoping we make an big dent in it this offseason.:toast: