1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Review of DEs on the current roster

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Apr 5, 2014.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,850 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    There was no NFL salary cap when we brought him in.

The cap started in 1994....but yes...odd how our rapid decline soon followed.
  2. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    You said it your self...you can not predict the future. You seem bent on pouting about Melton not being solid. And fielding a Super bowl team for Romo. Most fans want that also but you seem to be reiterating that it is imposable. Maybe Melton will be better than Russell Maryland.
  3. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    That (no cap) is my point
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,850 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    ahhhh
    I'm a bit slow this morning.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,160 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    The comparison was Haley to Melton with both being Pro Bowl type veteran players and Maryland to a top draft pick.

As the song says "know when to hold em know when to fold em". You have to be realistic. You can't completely make a team of free agents. See Redskins, Washington.

The Romo situation is probably the type of reasoning that Jerry has used every year while operating a method similar to how you want them to continue to operate. The Jerry/tm1119 method has proven to be a failure. It gets you 8-8, 8-8, 8-8 instead of 4-12, 10-6, 12-4.
  6. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Revisionist history at its best. Casillas was a former top 5 draftee and he wasn't cut, we traded for him. Maryland was the 1st overall pick the previous year. Tolbert and Jones were fairly high draftees (4th in '89 and 3rd in '90). Jeffcoat was a former 1st rounder and career starter on his 10th yr. Lett was the steal of the 91' draft who dominated and was in the rotation from day one. Hennings, a rookie coming off a 4 yr break to to his Air Force commitment, was the Outland Trophy winner in '88 (hardly a JAG). And Haley was a beast @ San Francisco with 2 SB rings. So, no there is no comparison. Our best lineman today couldn't see the field in '92 or '91 for that matter.
  7. xwalker

10,160 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    Yes, I have everybody on the Strong Side in that sentence.:)
  8. xwalker

10,160 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    It's not a direct comparison. It's what message board posters would be saying if we had the internet back then.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Lol no, its not what anybody would have said. You're comparing UDFA's and guys cut from other teams to all highly regarded players. He just completely proved you wrong.

And call me crazy, but I thought we were 8-8 last because there was a severe lack of talent on the defense. Good thing we have the likes of Nick Hayden, Ben Bass, Jeremy Mincey, McClain, Ceaser Rayford/Martez Wilson, Kyle Wilber, and JJ Wilcox/Jeff Heath to save the day. Sounds like a really solid plan.
    silver likes this.
  10. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Show me a single post where I said Melton wasn't going to be good. I'm talking about all of the other marginal talent that is going to fill out the line, front 7, and S positions.
  11. xwalker

10,160 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    This is my statement in that post, before I listed the players. If you can read, you can see that I was comparing them in terms of what message board posters would have said about them.
  12. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I fully understand what you're saying and it's still completely wrong. He just proved to you that they were all for the most part highly regarded players that aren't even comparable to the scrap parts we currently have. That is if you are capable of reading of course.

But I'm done with this argument. If you want to pretend like every player on the Cowboys roster is better than they actually are you can go right ahead. I personally choose not to live that lie.
    silver likes this.
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Great analysis as per usual Walker.

I like Wilson best of the bunch, and have a feeling the Cowboys do as well. If he can put on five pounds or so he could be a guy that can contribute.

Rayford didn't show me much but that could be because he was hurt and was forced at times to rush from an inside position as the team was so limited by injuries.

Agree with Walker they need someone outside of Selvie and maybe Mincey to show something or they may have depth problems once again even if they draft one or two ends.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,163 Messages
    1,794 Likes Received

agree with you tm
    xwalker usually brings up great points in his posts (which i appreciate) but in this case, it is an apples to oranges comparison
    the only halfway decent DE we have on the roster is Crawford and he almost a complete unknown at the NFL level

MAJOR upgrade is needed
  15. xwalker

10,160 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    There were only 4 players of any regard
    Haley
    Casillis
    Jeffcoat
    Maryland

Jimmie Jones was the highest draft pick of the other players as a 3rd. McClain was the 1st pick in the 3rd round. Jimmie Jones and the players other than the ones listed above would have been considered by internet fans similar to how they consider guys like McClain.

Fan expectations are probably similar for Melton as they would have been for Casillis.

Jeffcoat's career was winding down. Based on Jeffcoat's 1991 season and Selvie's 2013 season, fans would have a similar view of them.

Maryland was a 1st round draft pick on DL. The Cowboys are expected to draft a DL in the 1st round. If they get Donald, then fans would have a similar view of Donald as they had of Maryland.

Haley was just acquired in 1992 and the 49ers were eager to get rid of him. If the Cowboys had acquired a similar player this off-season, the fans would have said that Jerry got ripped off in the trade.

In June of 1992 if the internet was as it is today, message board fans would have been screaming that the Cowboys needed to get somebody like Reggie White or the season would be doomed.
    brooksey1 likes this.
  16. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

224 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    You guys might be in for a big surprise. This line was atrocious a year ago, but you have a lot of talent here, and you're about to add a first round talent to that. Is a lot of that talent unproven? Yes, but talent none the less. Now if the injury bug hits us as bad as last season, we are in a whole lot of trouble..... but then again so would Seattle if they lost what we did last season.
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,163 Messages
    1,794 Likes Received

you may be correct and i certainly hope that you are, the issue is that a review of the previous few years does not give any confidence that our decision-makers have any idea what they are doing
  18. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

224 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Well I can't argue that too much. A lot of my optimism is based on us hitting on a 1st round Dine prospect. We miss there and see a guy like Melton go down with injury its gonna be along season. But if we can stay healthy we have a pretty good rotation, just can't have guys like Hayden playing every down again.
    visionary likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,476 Messages
    3,715 Likes Received
    Jeffcoat was an eight year vet at the time with 70 career sacks. Selvie is a four year player with 11.5 in his entire career, including last year which still could be described as a fluke. And you expect people to view him the same? How is that even possible?

Jeffcoat registered 24 sacks while starting only six games in the following three years before he left for Buffalo. If we demote Selvie and he records that kind of production, I think everybody would be pretty pleased. But I think there is a big difference between a proven veteran and a never-was one year wonder in terms of perception.

Were you even aware of how fans felt at that time? The 49ers were eager to get rid of someone that they wanted out, but Haley was hailed as a huge difference maker, much like Desean Jackson is viewed now by Redskins fans. The fact the 49ers were eager to get rid of him has nothing to do with how excited the Cowboys and the fan base was. His first game in a Cowboy uniform shortly after being acquired against the Redskins was electric and an instant shot in the arm.
  20. xwalker

10,160 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    Le
    I followed the Cowboys just a closely then as I do now.

The pessimist fans in June 1992 still thought that the Cowboys sucked.

People were not happy with Jeffcoat back then because he had been around during some terrible seasons. He was tne Greg Ellis of that era.

With regards to Haley, this discussion is about fan perception prior to the season, not what actually happened when the season started.

Obviously, everything was different with fan perception of that roster when they saw them during that winning season.

Again this started as a comparison of fans perception not an actual comparison of players.

Pessimist fans:
    1993 not excited about Haley
    2014 not excited about Melton

Optimistic fans:
    1993 were excited about Haley
    2014 are excited about Melton