1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rex Burkhead?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

941 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I'm a big Rex Burkhead fan. I've followed his career because Nebraska is the college team that I follow. He's a bruiser style of a running back that I think would complement Murray well. He's great in short yardage situations. He reminds me of Robert Newhouse. There would be some risk in drafting him. He missed some games of his senior year due to injury. However, that's also the reason he may be a draft bargain. We might be able to get him with a relatively low round pick.

I think he could be a big upgrade over Felix as our second back. And if Murray goes down with injury, Rex can carry the load. He's worth considering, though I do have to admit to having a Nebraska bias.

Edit: Here's a link as to why he could be a steal. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-burkhead-will-be-the-steal-of-the-2013-draft
  2. 1Star5Rings

1Star5Rings Member

47 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be opposed to it,I love Rex,but I just hope he could stay healthy.
  3. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Rex is going to be a beast in the NFL but I don't want him. I'd like to have a quick dynamic back that can play a part in the passing game
  4. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

336 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    If Burkhead is healthy, he is intriguing! He was very impressive at nebraska, but I'm afraid his knee isn't sound.......
  5. Reverend Conehead

941 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    It only happened in his senior year. He was durable in his junior year and carried quite the load. It's not that there's no risk, but that risk seems minimal. He's not a player that was always injured throughout his college career.
  6. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,592 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Is it me or does he remind me of Jacob Hester? Not just cause he's white but how he is built, with Rex being a better runner
  7. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

977 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    From where this team will probably be drafting a RB in this draft, I would be thrilled to land a RB like Mike Glillislee. Not your fastest back, but your not getting that where he is projected anyway, 4-5 round.

What Ive noticed when observing his running style, is that he utilizes patience and vision and really follows his blockers, good hands out of the backfield, and he is already a very good blocker on 3rd down, so the dreaded 3rd down development scenario shouldnt be a huge factor for this kid.

Take a look at this guy.... closely.
  8. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,116 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Injury prone and soft.

No thanks, we already have one running back with all the talent in the world but cannot stay healthy
  9. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,694 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    Felix Jones was healthy his entire collegiate career if I remember correctly....
  10. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,694 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received

I been saying this for a long time.....
    We got what, maybe 1 player in Bruce Carter from this approach, out of how many drafted. Seems like 1 0r 2 every year for past 10 years.
    But yet Carter ended up on IR....
  11. Reverend Conehead

941 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind having Mike Glillislee. What round do you think he'll go in?
  12. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

977 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    4-5 early projection.. though he had a nice senior bowl,, a nice combine will raise his stock.
  13. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    so what Murray at 4.44 is not fast enuf for you

we need a brusier RB that can get those one or two yards
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,821 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    Wow. I bet you're the first person to ever call Burkhead soft.

Truth is, he's tough as nails and he plays extremely hard. The question with him is does he have enough pure talent to make it in the NFL.

He does seem like a guy the Patriots make work, though, by having him do only what he can do and not asking him to do what he can't. Still not sure if he's big and fast enough to do much in the pros.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Rex was superman at Plano.

He is a very likable guy. Problem is he lacks NFL talent. He plays so friggin hard and that means he will injure himself. You can't throw your body around like Earl Campbell without it taking a toll.

Might be a solid short yardage and blocking back for 10-12 snaps per game.

Not a guy I'd want to draft with more than a r6 or so.
  16. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    oh but he can do it in the Big 12

Burkhead is a compactly-built 5-11 210 pounds with excellent balance, running close to the ground and with a head of steam. Burkhead is hard-nosed and tough as nails, finishing every run and popping right back after a big hit while showing the downhill patience and vision to follow his blocks.

He isn't an explosive athlete with more build-up speed than natural burst, but has quick feet to sidestep defenders and make the first guy miss. Although he lacks ?wow? ability to routinely create when the hole isn't there, Burkhead is a an energetic, workhorse runner who takes pride in his craft and runs hard with conviction and determination.

He isn't a first round caliber prospect, but could easily sneak into the top-100 picks in the mold of a smaller version of Peyton Hillis.

--Dane Brugler
  17. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    One of the best performances ever seen in Texas state high school playoffs for Rex Burkhead. Had like 90% of offense lol.
  18. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

391 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Do not want, I rather the Cowboys take a chance with Marcus Lattimore if we going to go with injury prone RBs
  19. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received

He was stuck behind Roy Helu on the running back depth chart as a freshman and sophomore, but still saw a good amount of playing time, combining for 1,297 rushing yards as a back-up. Burkhead became the starter in 2011 (13 starts) and finished with a team-best 1,357 rushing yards and 17 total touchdowns, earning First Team All-Big Ten honors.

please tell me how he INJURY PRONE ?

a sprained knee

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3662131
  20. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,765 Messages
    932 Likes Received
    What? How are the two guys comparable with regards to injuries? Lattimore has suffered severe injuries to both knees in two different seasons. Burkhead dealt with a knee sprain his final year of school and still played at the end of the regular season and in the bowl game for Nebraska. I wouldn't even call Burkhead injury prone.