1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: RG3 reminds us that Romo just doesn't have it

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Wood, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    644 Likes Received
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,830 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    I wish Romo could win a season defining game like that with 100 yards passing and a 50% completion percentage.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,585 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :hammer:

RG3 was nothing special. That OL and running game was exceptional.

I bet if you give Romo a 200 yard rusher with 3 TDs and over 250 rushing yards total he'd probably win too.
  4. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

121 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    "Romo just doesn't have it"

If "IT" is an offensive line that isn't a complete disaster, then yeah, he certainly doesn't.

I'd like to see any QB that ever played have success behind this mess.

Although I will admit that Romo was awful defending the run last night.

Unreal.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,830 Messages
    10,124 Likes Received
    It wouldn't have been a contest.

I'd also love to see this game flipped. Cowboys win. Romo has those numbers. I wonder how much Romo would be credited for that win.

Tony Romo has to play like a Peyton Manning/Drew Brees hybrid every week to win. Griffin can stink up the joint with numbers that make Rex Grossman chuckle and still get the win.

There's your difference. Supporting cast.
  6. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Supporting cast and an OC/DC who ran rings around the Boys braintrust last night. :(
  7. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    this is exactly it... supporting cast
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yep.

Shanahan went 10-6, 10-6, 13-3, and 9-7 with Jake Plummer at QB. Jake. Freaking. Plummer.

Says all you need to know about their coaching versus ours.
  9. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I think he had that very chance last night. I would have gladly traded the 3 picks for less yardage and completion pct. I honestly think a bus driver type QB could have won that game last night. It was what it was, an unusually bad game by Romo.

Also, RG3 with his magician like ball handling skills is a big reason that running game clicks so well. So he helped his team big time in that regard.
  10. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    RG3 won the game last night by NOT losing it. Sometimes you need a QB to realize that (especially with a run game dominating) and not do anything stupid.

One turnover by RG3 and this is a different game. He protected the ball and was able to move the team when needed. Romo on the other hand lost the game, killed any momentum the Cowboys could have had in the first quarter and threw one of the worst INT's late in a game that anyone has seen.
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,704 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    No the Shanahan's called a great gameplan for RG3 so he couldn't lose it by coaching him to turn around and hand the ball to Morris over and over again. The coaching staff put RG3 in a position not to lose because of the personnel they have.
  12. SkinsHokieFan

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Agree totally. Its nice to know the Redskins are building a complete team and not a team that has to rely on the superman abilities of the QB.

On nights where a) he simply didn't have it and b) Rob Ryan adjusted from the Thanksgiving aerial beatdown to take away the deep passes, the Redskins had the ability to run the ball and make the Cowboys pay on the ground.

RG3 didn't force the ball, didn't make a horrible decision, and when he was sacked late in the 4th HELD on to the ball.

Rex Grossman might have a 3 pick game himself last night. By not turning it over and letting the running game do its thing, RG3 had a great night.
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,585 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    That's complete BS. RG3 threw at least 2 passes that could have been picked. Just cuz our D is too incompetent to pick off a pass doesn't make RG3 great all of the sudden. He stunk the joint up. Romo did too, but the SKins D actually caught Romo's bad passes.
  14. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

530 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    That offense looks like the one we ran in high school.

I could have ran that offense the Redskins had out there last night.

I have no doubt that that offensive scheme will not work long term. This is the NFL, not the Big 12. I am embarrassed that we couldn't figure something out to stop it. Perhaps it is the fact that our personnel is something that was thrown together by a medical ward. Either way, teams will catch on to that sooner or later.
  15. SkinsHokieFan

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

RG3 didn't have it last night at all, his passing performance was simply not good enough. However he didn't lose the game with any bonehead plays. On nights like last night where Alfred Morris was unstoppable that is all you need out of the QB.

Trust me, had you said RG3 would be 9 of 18 for 100 yards passing, I'd think we lose badly.

To me its a good thing though, QB has a subpar game and we still find a way to win. Shows me signs of a complete team being built, which is how you win in the NFL.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,222 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Yes, but Griffin didn't throw 3 picks ... 1 of them with the game on the line.
  17. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

971 Messages
    561 Likes Received

Romo might have one but we'll never know I'm afraid. JG seems bound and determined to run a down field passing attack no matter what, even when they are getting the snot blitzed out of them.
  18. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Romo had "it" in 2006 and 2007. He was magical. But since then...he's lost it
  19. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

971 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    Agreed. Romo has to own that. All three seemed to come from bad throws or bad decisions. This team, particularly the patchwork defense, can't overcome those types of mistakes.
  20. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Shanahan's playoff record after Elway: 1-4. Fired after three consecutive mediocre seasons, exacerbated by some really awful draft and personel decisions. Including the decision to HAVE Jake Plummer at QB.

That said, this season he has done a tremendous job, especially considering Mara's salary cap crookedness. The Redskins had a willing horse, and they rode him another mile. And it was still a close run thing.