1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: RG3 reminds us that Romo just doesn't have it

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Wood, Dec 31, 2012.

1. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,822 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    RG3 did make some pretty poor throws that game. Didn't get picked obviously but easily could have been.
  2. snowrider

snowrider New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the Colts played in the NFC East , they would be just like the old Cardinals were
  3. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,808 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Yea you have somewhat of a point but in those 18 pass attempts RGIII didn't look very good IMO. He made some terrible throws.
  4. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,361 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    WTH did RG III do in that game? It was Morris and their defense. Romo had a bad game, but was a huge reason why we were even in position to win the division in week 17. The guy played like Superman for like 8 straight games to get us to that spot but, like every QB, he's human. Unfortunately, this team was not good enough to overcome a rough outing by their savior. It'd be nice to see us not get outcoached once in a while too. I'm not talking about Ryan, because he was holding this thing together with scotch tape. We get outcoached almost every first half. We almost always rely on throwing out the gameplan and having Romo perform some heroics in the second half. He did that so well, so often this year that we came to expect it. Imagine if WE actually outcoached a team and didn't rely on a Herculean performace by our QB every time? Romo played poorly, but Garrett doesn't do him any favors. Romo again finished with a QB rating over 90 (he has never finished a season with lower than 90) and had multiple huge, clutch performances this season. Most people will remember that last game, but those who understand the game know that he is the reason we still had something to root for in week 17. Fix the trenches and get and OC and this team is a contender.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,646 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    You're right. But I think there have only been a handful of games in his career where Tony could win in that way. On this team, with a radically inconsistent defense and an even more inconsistent run game, he HAS to win games.

He never has those opportunities to just "not lose".
  6. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,383 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Skins: 27.6 passing atts/gm (30th), 32.4 rushing atts/gm (3rd)

Seahawks: 25.3 passing atts/gm (32nd), 33.5 rushing atts/gm (1st)

Boys: 41.4 passing atts/gm (3rd), 22.2 rushing atts/gm (31st)
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Throwing for 100 passing yards on a JV unit defense (that gave up 450 yards passing to Drew Brees the week before) is having "it"?

I'll pass on RG3's supposed "it" and take Alfred Morris' and the Redskin running game instead.
  8. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks New Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ^^ THIS! Why is this so hard for people to understand?? I haven't seen anything but a dink and dunk attack and a nasty running game. The most turnover protected scheme in the league.
  9. rdskn4eva

rdskn4eva Member

90 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    2 thngs.

1. Thanksgiving. Nuff siad there
    2. Not turning the ball over wins football games. Thats football 101. Guess Romo hasnt graduated from that course yet.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

1) Thanks for cherry picking one game. Still doesn't change the fact that the Redskins were 30th in the NFL in pass attempts. And the game Cousins started he had 37 pass attempts, which was the Redskins 2nd highest pass attempts for the season.

2) The best way to avoid interceptions is to just not throw the ball, and that's precisely what the Redskins attempt to do. Unfortunately for Romo, he can't just ride on the coattails of his running game and defense to win the game for him. It's a not a bad way to go about winning a substandard division or a wildcard spot, the Cowboys once rode that formula to a 2003 Wildcard with Quincy Carter, but somewhere on the road to a Superbowl you're going to find yourself in a situation where you're behind in the game and/or facing a great run defense and you have to abandon the run.
  11. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

953 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    1) Cousins threw so much because the Browns were actually successful in slowing Morris down. I believe he had a 3.5 ypc. It had more to do with the Browns keying in on Morris since they didnt have to be concerned with Cousins as a running threat, like they would've if Griffin played. Regardless, every HC who's worth his salt would take an awesome running game over an awesome passing every Sunday. You're getting less risk, keeping the clock running, and wearing out the defense.

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is Griffin isn't healthy at all right now. Which is why I fully expect us to lose to Seattle this Sunday. He may have ran for 60+ yards, but he had no burst, couldn't reach top speed, and zero agility to avoid a tackler. This also hurt him in his throwing, planting on his bad knee is causing some discomfort for him. His throwing mechanics and footwork have been inconsistent post-injury.
  12. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn "Inside the NFL" has audio of RG3 telling Romo after game, "Don't listen to what anybody else is saying to you. You're a great quarterback."

Embarrassing...even a 22 year old rookie feels sorry for Romo. It's getting sad, we're at a point where Romo will just start being pitied now. People will start feeling bad for laughing at his chokes.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,646 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    :laugh2: That does kinda suck, but I bet a lot of players say stuff like that, just 2 weeks ago we heard the thing from a Saints coach when Tony was Mic'd up

But coming from RG3, I would take that more of a sign of respect for Romo than an comment of pity.
  14. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,967 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    Yes but if Romo had RGIII's stats, Cowboys still lose the game.

I don't want to defend Romo and those 3 picks but he has to try and make plays to win the game. Sometimes those attempts look like that, sometimes they're good plays that result in wins. Defense and running game would've not won Sunday or really any game this season like RGIII's team.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,671 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    I guess if think we could have had a 200 yard rusher, then yes, maybe we could have won with RG3 stas.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    RG3 led all NFL players in fumbles on the season with 9, so let's not act like he's the Bastion Saint of Taking Care of the Football. He did a great job of not throwing interceptions, helped in no small part by the fact that the Redskins coaches didn't ask him to throw very often, an inordinate amount of those throws were behind the line of scrimmage, and Redskins run almost everything through the play action meaning RG3 only threw down field when a safety had bit on the run and left a guy running wide open.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    Funny RGIII throws for 100 and Morris ran for 200? only thing that proves is if you can run the ball like that then the QB does not have to do much.