1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RG3's success without Morris

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think their season is much worse without the 6th rounder Alfred Morris.

I don't think that Griffin has half the success he did if he isn't in the backfield with him. Cousin's came in and had good success.

Frankly, I think they need Morris more than they do RGIII.
  2. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    I actually think Morris success is in large part due to RG3's threat as a runner. Even in the cleveland game, it took him a long time to get going. It wasn't untill cleveland showed they couldn't move the ball and the skins started taking shots down field that Morris got going. And even then he only avereged 3.2 ypc.

Put him and cousins back there and he's not a 1000 yard rusher
  4. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I think they work in tandem, in effect feeding off each other. Morris wouldn't have nearly the success running the ball, if say, Rex Grossman was still their starting QB.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    I honestly don't see too much special about Morris. Not overly fast, doesn't make guys miss in the open field. He has good vision, but I swear stevie wonder could run through some of the holes he has.

The skins o-line gets a good push, and LBs are so hesitant, not knowing what to do with RG3, that by the time they know he has the ball, a guard is running them over.

He's disciplined, but if RG3 blew out a knee in pre season, I don't think we'd know who Morris is today.
  6. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,029 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Would you say that limiting his running/threat to run makes RG3 look like a RB that can throw the ball rather than a QB that can run the ball?
  7. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,776 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received

:hammer:

True that. He was untouched so many times for 5 or more yards.

There is a reason he was a 6th rounder. A good OL can do wonders.
  8. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    They play off of each other, but Morris is very hard to bring down and because of this, he constantly gets positive yardage. He's a tackle breaking machine.
  9. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Regardless, I don't think RG3 has the success he does if there isn't another threat in the backfield. If they had the same issues that we had at RB this year, Griffin is nothing close to what he looked like. Further, when Griffin isn't a threat to run, as we have seen, he is a shell of himself.
  10. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,429 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I think most of you are just crazy, and grasping at straws. Morris had 1600yds rushing with a 4.8 avg. That is pretty good. The rushing attack, sets up the passing, and vise versa. If there were no RG3, perhaps he would of rushed for 900yds, who knows.

As for RG3, I never liked running QBs, but the guy got it done, for the most part. 5 picks as a rookie, is pretty good. As for Cousins, he might be good, but how is Flynn doing in Seattle? I would want to see a lot more of him, before I started praising him.
  11. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,126 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Every RB in Shannahans system does well. Its the zone blocking. Think back to Denver. He made names out of many rbs. Portis,etc...
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Running game is a big part of the redskins, regardless if people think Morris is special or not, he does a very good job of spotting the cutback lanes and he runs with a lot of power he broke Clinton Portis rushing record in Washington so give the man credit.
  13. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,429 Messages
    175 Likes Received

And he had success with Washington. It wasn't like he rushed for 1500yds then when he got to Wash, he didn't hit 1000yds.