1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RGIII - 70%+ Completion Percentage

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by perrykemp, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    He did the same thing in college and people tried to write it off, time for those that doubt him to just accept that he's a special player.
  2. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    No one is fabricating anything. Would you rather prevent the deep pass and give your defense a better shot at stopping Morris and he running, and short passes, or sell out to stop the run and get hit deep like his passes to Hankerson and Robinson? Am I fabricating that, or do I need to link the plays to those to prove my point?

Furthermore, using statistics to state how many times he's gone deep doesn't actually prove your point. It proves mine. I say defenses have been gameplanning to keep him from going deep over the middle, and you talk stats that state he hasn't been going deep.....ok. I haven't looked at the stats, but I've seen every game, they've taken less shots deep as the season has gone on. Coincidentally, Morris has found it easier to run as the season progressed as well.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Happy New Year! Staff Member

21,130 Messages
    1,976 Likes Received
    Did you ever hear of YAC??? Apparently not.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    You said going deep "consistently" like he was airing it out like New England 2007.

He hasn't.

On a 70% completions, if he were going deep "consistently", he'd have more plays of over 25 yards.

PFF has him down for 9 passes attempted over 20 yards. I don't know what week that is through and I'll readily admit that PFF isn't exactly the gold standard but 9 ranks 33rd in the NFL for QBs.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,163 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Is part of YAC QBs hitting their WRs in stride and putting the ball where WRs can catch it and do something with it?
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the coach is tailoring an offense to the skill-set of a player, it's called good coaching. If a coach is trying to force-fit a player into an offense, even if it doesn't make sense, then you have Jason Garrett...
  7. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    agreed. Now if defenses do evolve to take away the shorter fields and he doesn't end up completing his long passes then the discussion could be relevant. But right now, the offense seems to be working, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Griffin is the key to that.
  8. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One should also bear in mind, Shanny's last season with the Broncos, when Cutler was lighting the world on fire and they faded at the end. Though, Cutler doesn't have half the brains it seems RG3 has, nor the legs, it's not a forgone conclusion this would happen.

What is clear though is that when things are clicking for Shanny's offense, RBs are running through holes, and the offense is scoring in bunches.
  9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,181 Messages
    2,385 Likes Received
    If he stays healthy, RG3 will redefine the position.

Everyone compares him to Vick, Newton, name-your-black-QB...which is just stupid. He's nothing like those players.

Griffin is like Steve Young, except with a much stronger arm and a ton more speed. He's not a mental midget like Vick.
  10. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

785 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    RG3 is good. And he will be better.

I am not a Vick fan at all and I wasn't sold on Cam Newton but RG3 has great arm and legs. If he is mentally strong, he will go long distance in this league.
  11. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They were last in the league last year in YAC with Grossman/Beck.
    It's also why they released Gaffney (2.5 YAC avg) and almost gave up on Moss (3.8? YAC avg).

They added receivers and put an emphasis on yards after the catch: Garcon who was one of the leagues best in that category and Morgan too.

But QB has been the biggest difference. He's very accurate.

The receivers also do a good job of blocking, which turns 10-15 yard passes into big plays.
  12. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,769 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    It sucks to see RG3 and the Skins doing so well already. They are back to being competitive again.
  13. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    There, I fixed it for you.:laugh1:
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,069 Messages
    958 Likes Received
    We can all make up excuses for his numbers, but the guys is good. We don't have to let our hatred for the team blind us so bad that we can't recognize when a player is really talented.
  15. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    It's exciting for us as fans to see him do pretty well thus far. We shall see how he continues to grow and develop.

He makes his reads, goes through the progressions and makes a strike. It's much more than just dinks and dunks.
  16. hermitkid

hermitkid Member

145 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not sure why Washington fans get so defensive when people mention that Griffin's completion percentage may be a product of a dink and dunk offense.

Last I checked short passes, and YAC were a staple of the West Coast offense, and given the fact that outside of Williams and Montgomery Washington's offensive line is a mess, I fully expect Shanahan to continue to put an emphasis on precisely what they've been doing.

Griffin has shown an extraordinary amount of skill and what's even more impressive, for somebody with his talent level his intangibles are off the charts.

That said, I think Shanahan deserves a ton of credit for keeping the game manageable for Griffin and tailoring an offense that features his west coast principles along with familiar concepts from Baylor.

The game against the Giants should be a real test to far along Griffin is at this point. Washington hasn't really had to face a defense like the Giants yet, so it'll be interesting to see Bob's decision making when he comes under duress from that New York front four.
  17. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,827 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    THIS!
  18. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    And I am a huge Andrew Luck fan

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/44481/rg3-developing-faster-than-andrew-luck

Link for rest
  19. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember hearing analysts affirming that they think Griffin would be performing better than Luck in the beginning, primarily because of the lack of talent that Luck has.