1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RGIII or Andrew Luck

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I only watched half of last nights game. I saw RGIII get pounded into the turf at least 5 times. How many times did that happen after the first half?

If that continues every game, that kid isn't going to last 2 years in this league.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,239 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Any comparisons to Michael Vick are just stupid. Vick has only once in his career completed over 60% of his passes. The guys just isn't a good passer and wasn't in college. It is very belittling to any QB to get compared to Vick.

I think both Luck and Griffin will be fine QBs for a long time. Both still have room to improve. I give the edge to Luck only because he has less to learn. He has to essentially fine tune his game because he has grown up in a pro-style system. Griffin has a lot more to learn and I think he is very capable of doing so.

I can't predict which one will win Superbowls. That is just too difficult. No one would have predicted that Eli would have won more than Peyton.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Vick and RGIII are very similar except for completion percentage. Both are running QBs, both have very strong arms.

Besides that, one is a whiny ***** dog killer, and the other is a classy professional. Without question RGIII is the better QB between the two.

As for Superbowls. You can never predict that. Dan Marino has zero and there are many who have Superbowls that just weren't that great of QBs. Football is a team game and a QB alone won't win you a Superbowl. Besides, sometimes there is just a better team or a hotter team.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I couldn't watch the game last night, so I logged into NFL.com this morning and see "RG3 LEADZ TEH 4TH QUARTERZ GAME WINNING DRIVEZZ!!!!1111" splashed all over the homepage.

Then I look in the box score and the "4th quarter game winning drive" came with 11 minutes left to play in the game, and he had like 190 yards throwing on the night.

Wow.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I would take Luck all day, every day. RG3 will end up with injury problems due to fragile build. It is just a matter of time. Fans forget just how good of an athlete that Luck actually is. He is also a big QB. I would have traded away a ton of picks for Luck and never thought twice about it. I can't say the same for RG3. When his gimmick offense is exposed, RG3 will struggle, much.like Cam Newton. That is not a problem for Luck.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Luck.

and its not close.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,921 Likes Received
    I agree, I see a lot more talent in RGIII rookie year than Vick at any time in his career. He passes are very sharpe and on the money, he shows nice touch on the short balls and keeps his eyes down field instead of looking to run 1st.

I will say RGIII better learn how to protect himself better because these big hits he has taken this year will catch up to him quickly.
  8. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Ultimately, it will be on Griffin to best protect himself. The offense will, as long as Shanahan is coaching, use a ZBS scheme, meaning lighter faster OL. I don't think MS is a fan of Griffin taking off, especially when it's not a designed play. IF you listen to his press conference and you will see that. On designed runs, the lanes to get out of bounds or protect him are there, and since his concussion, he has done a lot better job of being aware. But when he goes into the Make a play mindset - that is when you see him hurdle a defensive player, or get his jersey pulled backwards.

I think it's a part of his game he will have to learn to control, but just as Luck will grow and get better, I don't see any reason to think Griffin won't either.
  9. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,921 Likes Received
    I don't disagree but I think his natural instinct is to go for it, hell he did it last night vs NY were he took a big hit on the sideline after taking off on the run. I think it is great to use that talent but he needs to get out of bounds or slide much quicker than he does. He may have to learn the hard way but if he continues as is he will find out the meaning of the NFL (Not For Long)

Luck on the other hand has good mobility but he is still more the prototypical QB. I think both are very good young QB’s but if I had to pick one over the other I take Luck and no it has nothing to do with RGIII playing for Washington, I said the same thing prior to the draft.
  10. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The injury canard is stupid also.

Tom Brady lost a season of his career from the pocket. Carson Palmer has never been the same since the Steelers destroyed his knee in 2005 from the pocket. Stafford spent the first 2 years of his career dealing with injuries from the pocket.

Its football. If he gets injured, he gets injured. So far thankfully he has only missed a half
  11. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,921 Likes Received
    Sure injuries happen and can at any time but QB that tend to run and not slide or get out of bounds will not last long. I like RGIII followed him at Baylor but this is not college and if he hopes to have a long career then he best learn to do a better job of protecting himself.
  12. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    If thats the worst people can say right now, I'll take it. He has protected himself very well since the ATL game, in particular with getting out of bounds.

His ability to play QB at a very high level as a rookie with the amount of injuries the team has dealt with has been fantastic. His skillset is elite in every regard.

Just wait until the passing tree actually opens up. It'll look like the 2nd quarter of Thanksgiving every week ;)
  13. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,921 Likes Received
    No he hasn't he took a big shot down the sideline last night vs NY that he did not need to take, that is not protecting yourself. I think he has been great again I like the kid I watched him at Baylor and was really impressed and enjoyed watching him but this is not college and taking on DB and LB in the NFL is going to end a career quicker than need be. These boys do not mess around in the NFL.
    So I'm not taking a shot at RGIII I'm only telling it like it is.
  14. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    An article from espn insider on RGIII.

Delayed gratification hasn't been a part of the Robert Griffin III NFL experience. It was like a Bond flick -- things got crazy before we, the audience, even settled in when RG3 laid waste to the New Orleans Saints in Week 1. Thing is, as we finish Week 13, it still hasn't gotten deliberate. The story arc has remained explosive. So in a season where rookie QBs are a huge draw, even Andrew Luck's remarkable plotline hasn't managed to outshine RG3.

But this could contain fuel for critics who believe RG3 won't age well as an NFL quarterback. Certainly not like Luck. Call it a grumpy assessment, a page from Eeyore's Quarterback Projections, but look close and there are moments, throws and hits that make even his biggest fans wonder. They make people think of other athletically gifted QBs. They make people think, "Enjoy this for what it is" because action flicks like this lack substance. And if the critic wanted to confirm those questions, he'd find some numbers to back him up.

http://insider.espn.....-aaron-rodgers
  15. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    NIB, they won't hear you, listen, or read.

They have their opinions...if you watch the games you don't even need to look at stats. The kid is already one of the best in the game right now.

Among the elite it seems.
    Luck will be there soon also.
  16. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,921 Likes Received
    I think both are very good, hell Luck took over for a team that won 2 games last year and to help them get to the post season is a hell of a feat. RGIII is also very good. To claim RGIII as elite and Luck will soon be there? That is funny and very humoristic of you.

I would not consider either guy elite just very good young QB. Cam was being called these things last year yet Cam does not look as good as last year. Elite is not a 1 year proposition it is the ability to consistently produces year in and year out.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Leading a team to 6-6 on a night where you had 160 yards passing now puts you in the "elite" category?

Wow, the bar for "elite" has been dropped pretty low, it seems.
  18. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I think this may have something to do with it:

STATS PCT YDS AVG TD INT RAT
    2012 Season 67.1 2660 8.2 17 4 104.4
  19. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I said among the elite. He is. That is the reason for the hype. The kid can flat out play.

Luck is a good QB and getting better it seems...but he will also be among the elite soon. It's not a slight towards him.

You watch the games and you see how they play. Hell even Wilson is playing serious ball right now.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I remember when most QBs could never be considered "elite" until he won Superbowl(s), but now RG3 gets to be elite for taking a team to .500 and throwing some amazing bubble screens.