1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RGIII or Andrew Luck

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 3, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    Cams problem is he locks onto Steve Smith every single play instead of just reading the defense.

Luck and RG3 do not have that problem at all. Both of those guys can make timing passes.

I was very impressed with RG3's ability to throw the ball to the spot where the receiver was supposed to be before the receiver even broke out of his route.

Washington's offense looks very well coached. Players know where to be.

I wish Kyle Shannahan was running our offense.

Can you imagine RG3 playing for this team? Would Garrett adjust to his play style? I doubt it because he's never really adjusted to Romo's playstyle.

Romo would be sick in Shannahans system and our Oline would be better too.
  2. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,007 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Bubble screens? :confused: :laugh2:

Come on man, how many times is that play called per game? Once, twice at the most.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Fine but I don't look at any rookie as among the elite, Elite is not a one year deal. Both RGIII and Luck may end up being the best QB's of all time I don't know time will tell. I think highly of both but greatness if proven over the course of time.
  4. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I absolutely agree that it is his nature, and that especially early on, he puts himself at risk. I believe, though he will learn it quickly.

Griffin was asked about the sideline play in the last quarter, and his response was honest, and clearly shows a learning curve. He said that he was making a beeline for the sideline when he remembered how clock stoppage in the NFL works he tried to pull up and stay in bounds. That shows me two things; he knows he should be trying to get out of bounds at the best possible angle, and that he is thinking about the game situation and learning.

In terms of the out of bounds, you really do see that he has learned that lesson, and most of the time is quick enough to get out of bounds without a hit.

In terms of game situation, he will only get better as he is put in more and more situations. Of course if a big play is needed his nature will always push him in that direction, but so does Romo's and every other big league qb. The key is not doing it in every game, or in less than game critical situations.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,204 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I never had confidence in Cam Newton being a good QB in the NFL.

If you could guarantee RG3 has a long and relatively healthy career, I would take either Luck or RG3.

My problem is, running QB are a whole lot more likely to get hurt and the fact that every time I watch a Redskin game with RG3, I see him get absolutely crushed several times during a game. I only watched the first half of the Monday night game, but I saw at least 5-6 times was absolutely bashed into the turf. He just won't last with that happening all the time.
  6. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,007 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    You can have him, IMO. His play calling in the redzone and 3rd downs make me wish I had hair to pull out.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That's not an insignificant number when your offense is 30th in the league in passing attempts.

And my point still stands ... Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco can never be considered "elite" until they win Superbowls no matter what kind of numbers they put up or how many regular season games they win. RG3 automatically gets put into the "elite" category for getting a team to 6-6 in December? Must be nice to have that much relentless media hype behind you that you get a double standard.
  8. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    The quote was among the elite, and I think he was referencing the fact that for this season, Griffins passer rating, completion percentage (at every spot on the field if you sort by splits), td/int ratio, and even rushing, puts him among the top 5 in every category.

As for bubble screens, you do understand that those also play a role in opening interior and stretch run plays, forcing defenses to defend the whole width of the field from the point of the snap. Something that is a staple of Shanahan style offenses.
  9. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    ESPN is pretty much saying RGIII is the best thing to ever happen to football so Id take him... Luck is a bum.
  10. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    The short passing "critique" is absurd. I have posted about it 4 times in this thread

11. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,973 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I'd probably choose RGIII right this second.

That doesn't mean I can't change my mind later on. :)
  12. rdskn4eva

rdskn4eva Member

90 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I would put RG3 and Luck in that second group of QB's.

1. Elite: Brady, Manning, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisberger
    2. 2nd Tier: Ryan, Romo, Cutler, RG3, Luck, WIlson, Schaub
    3. Good: Stafford, Flacco, Rivers, Dalton, Freeman

This is based onm play this year.

Everyone else is below this group.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Even better than Tim Tebow?

But he was going to revolutionize the position!!!!!
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,908 Messages
    9,003 Likes Received
    Stop with the racism nonsense. There is one QB in the history of the NFL that can compare athletically with Griffin and that's Michael Vick. Now if you want to say Griffin will develop into a better pocket passer than Vick has, make that argument....but don't cry racism when the comparison is very much valid. And don't make Vick out to be a pure runner with no throwing skills. That dude can make any throw on the field. His arm can match up against anyone's. It's his accuracy, ability to read defenses and decision making that's lacking.

This isn't even a tough call for me. You have one guy who could end up an all timer in Luck and the next Michael Vick who may or may not develop into a real pro QB.
  15. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    All he does win :cool:

For real though I would choose RGIII but that can always change. They haven't even played a full season.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'd also point out that Dante Culpepper once had a 110 QB Rating and led the NFL in completions and passing yardage that same year. When it goes South with those running QBs, it goes south in a hurry. It just takes one significant injury to slow them down, and when they're forced to play as one dimensional passers they get exposed badly. I believe I read somewhere that RG3 hadn't converted a 3rd and 10 situation until Week 9, which was entering Jamarcus Russell territory. Thus the reason why every NFL GM would pick Luck. You can put him in almost any system with any offense and he'll be successful. RG3 has to play within and specific offense within a specific system tailored around him.
  17. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,234 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I think the real question baffling us is: Is RG III better than Russell Wilson?
  18. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Duante Culpepper also inherited one of the most incredible offenses of the decade of the 90s, RG3 has no Randy Moss or Cris carter.
  19. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Wilson would be rookie of the year if not for the two first rounders succeeding.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I don't disagree just that he best learn it quickly because DB and LB drool at the thought of a QB acting like a RB. The can barely touch them behind the line of scrimmage so when they get the chance they are looking to bury that QB.

As for his talent? I have not questioned that since his 1st year playing at Baylor after that I was sold on him being a guy who could make it on the next level.

I said before the draft if I had my choice of RGIII and Luck I would still take Luck but it was not intended as a knock on RGIII I just think over the long haul Luck will have more success. We will see.