1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rick Gosselin on Darren Woodson and the ROH

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Most of you all know I am very big on the History of the Cowboys. Since Darren Woodson is my favorite Cowboy all time (along with Netwon and Irvin), I was kind of wondering what his chances were to make the Ring of Honor. So I decided to ask a Hall of Fame Sporters Writer :).

Here is what Rick had to say:

Mike,
    I think Woodson gets into the Ring of Honor. Jerry will be more focused in
    the future on "his" Cowboys -- the post-1989 Cowboys -- than Tex Schramm's
    Cowboys when it comes to the Ring of Honor.
    RG

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 4:40 PM
    To: rgosselin@dallasnews.com
    Subject: Do you think Darren Woodson will get into the Ring of Honor?

I love talking about the storied history of the Dallas Cowboys. I feel you
    are one of the foremost experts on the Cowboys and I wanted to pose this
    question to you. I think he certainly has the numbers and the winning
    background, but I dont think Woodson will get into the Hall of Fame and
    probably not the Ring of Honor, which is even more exclusive (although it
    shouldnt be).

Given the fact that Rayfield Wright (11 Seasons and only gave up 1 sack),
    Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Ralph Neely, Drew Pearson, and many many
    others have not got in, with similar acheivments, tells me he probably wont
    get in. I think his chances increase if Emmitt, Mike, and Troy go into the
    ROH at the same time, because it wont be so drawn out, by having all 3 go in
    separtely, but if not, I dont think he will. Also, before you put Woody in,
    you probably need to put Waters, Harris, Wright, Allen, Martin (All time
    sack leader) and probably Everson Walls in, I am thinking.

Also, say for instance, the future is not bright for the Cowboys (god
    forbid), if we dont win any championships, then at some point they will
    still have to put people in the ROH, and some may want to jump back to the
    70s and 90s and grab some guys from back then.

- Mike Green
    Dallascowboyz.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a bit surprised he answered, but damn that is pretty cool :).

- Mike G.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,493 Messages
    1,758 Likes Received
    That answer sort of chaps my hide. Just because they didn't play for Jerry doesn't mean they aren't worthy. There are a lot of our players from the Landry days that are worthy of the Ring of Honor.
  3. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I see where he is coming from, but I still think some of the other guys come in first. But Jerry will make sure he gets a good number of his guys in as well.

I am gonna save this email hahahaha.

- Mike G.
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,774 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Yeah... I rememebr us talking about this in another thread the other night...

JJ will put his own players in before any of the ones that made the Cowboys what they are today... the priemere franchise in the NFL...
  5. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I've never been to Texas Stadium. How many people can they fit befor they run out of room? Drew Pearson should have been in before Jones ever bought the team. And when did Waters and Harris retire? Seems like they should have been in before Jones bought the team also.
  6. trickblue

28,774 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Their is plenty of room for more players... so that is not the issue...

JJ really needs to get some of those old timers in before the post '89 becomes eligible...

I have read several times that Drew owns the rights to ringofhonor.com... his explanation was that he didn't want a non-cowboy to get the rights to the name... apparently JJ isn't happy about that... who knows...
  7. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is plenty of room to add more players. But the Boys will have a newer and larger stadium at some point, so I dont think that will the problem.

Cliff Harris retired in 1979 and Charlie Waters retired in 1981.

The problem has always been politics and the feeling that it needs to be oh so exclusive. Lee Roy Jordan said Tex Schramm kept him out of the Ring for so long because he was still bitter about hiim holding out of training camp in 75 or 76 (cant remember) for more money, of which is got.

I think it is a shame that we have had such good Offensive Lines and there is not one in the Ring of Honor. I think the next person should be Rayfield Wright.

- Mike G.
  8. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Goose is being realistic; it's totally Jerry's decision. The Cowboys don't have a Board of Directors with any power.
  9. trickblue

28,774 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    You are right about the Lee ROy Jordan thing... even Tex played politics with the ring...

Rayfield should be the next inductee... this year... maybe we could start a rumor that he is near death... unfortunately that's how Bob Hayes got in...
  10. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks Trick and Mike. I can see why they want it to be exclusive, but man if a guy is Hall of Fame caliber, like Pearson, Harris and Wright, how can you keep him out of the teams hall of fame.
  11. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure Jay. Some folks have even made the argument that Wright and others are not in the HOF because, "Look you are not even in the Cowboys Ring of Honor".

- Mike G.
  12. trickblue

28,774 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    and all the while it is harder to get in the Cowboy HOF than it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame...

If Swanny and Stallworth are in... Pearson should have already been there...

The next Steeler to go in before a more deserving Cowboy will be Donnie Shell over Cliff Harris...

I was having lunch one day with Cliff and he told me that he liked Donnie and he is a good guy... but if he gets in and I don't... the bias should be obvious...
  13. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm with you fellas. Rayfield Wright should be the next one in. It'll be sad to see some of the old school Cowboys be left behind but after Wright, it is time to start inducting some of the 90's greats.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,424 Messages
    3,709 Likes Received
    They could put a player in the ROH every year for over the next 20+ years and still never get to everybody who should be put up there. We need to honor the pre-'89 Cowboys just as equally as the post '89 Cowboys I say. Sometimes the ROH gets me as fired up and the HOF.
  15. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I agree with those earlier that said that there needs to be more in the ROH.

I could see about a dozen going in before any of "Jones' players" do. At least they SHOULD go in before them.
  16. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep.

What is so said, is many of the players in the 80's will probably overlooked. That means Everson Walls and Jim Jeffcoat (played from 84-94) and has 92 sacks, which is among the best in Cowboys History.

- Mike Green
  17. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,778 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    Woodson was a great one but........he needs to step in line quite frankly.
  18. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    I agree with Goose here.

Darren Woodson will likely be an automatic for the Ring.

Woody's not only the franchise's all-time leading tackler, from safety no less, he's the text book of what every team wants their players to be.

A class act (unless you're a WR crossing the middle).

The only thing keeping Woodson out of the Hall of Fame is his low interception count.

I don't expect writers will look at the obvious reason for that total, Woody was a career slot corner and rarely got tested.

Has there ever been another strong safety who was so versatile and effective?

Woodson was also a model citizen and a team leader on top of his value as a player.

Whatever honors Woody receives when all is said and done, he will have earned the recognition, IMO.

I expect Jones will honor Woodson at the expense of past greats like Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris, who are both deserving of Ring induction.

Harris' case for the Hall of Fame would've been greatly helped by a Ring induction and more support from the Cowboys organization, IMO.

But Cliff isn't one of Jerry's Boys.

Looking at the past greats, I don't expect Harris, Waters or Drew Pearson to make it because of recent players at the same position fast approaching induction time.

Rayfield Wright and Harvey Martin are the best bets from the old guard, IMO, and they are of course more than deserving for the honor.

How can a club not induct its best offensive tackle and career sack leader?

Jerry's going to have loads of fun inducting his own players and watching (likely helping) several get enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

But that doesn't make it right to bypass deserving candidates from the Landry and Scramm era.

However, Jerry's a committee of one, it's all up to him to determine who is good enough for the Ring.

In the past, some writers have speculated that Jones would allow his personal feeling for Deion Sanders to allow for Primetime to disgrace the Ring of Honor before considering someone like Everson Walls or Charlie Waters from the old guard.

I believe Jones has enough sense to keep a mercenary such as Sanders out of the most hallowed fraternity in sports, but he'll never give the Landry players their just rewards, either.

Part of it will be Jones' preference for his players, but it will also be the exclusivity of the Ring itself.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,778 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    Nice post.
  20. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bluefin, very well done.

I have never looked at it in that light (Other players at the same position becoming eligible). Who did you have in mind at Saftey and Wideout that are coming up for induction?

I have no clue why a person that has the most sacks in franchise history (Martin) and a guy that played the most games in franchise history (Jones) cannot get into the ring of honor.

Also, I heard Rayfield Wright only allowed 1 Sack in 11 Season, but I cannot confirm this. What do you think about this stat?

I got this from Jack Youngblood's Hall of Fame biography:

LINK

- Mike G.