1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rick Herrin:Preston Pearson: Cowboys memories are special

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Cbz40, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Posted on Wed, Sep. 21, 2005

Preston Pearson: Cowboys memories are special

By Rick Herrin

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Preston Pearson was spoiled on Super Bowls.

The former Cowboys running back played in five Super Bowls, including three with Dallas (1975, 1977, 1978), one with Pittsburgh (1974) and one with Baltimore (1968). He won a ring as a Pittsburgh Steeler and another with Dallas (1977). But with the Cowboys, Pearson revived his career after being released by the Steelers after the 1974 season.

Pearson, who played 14 years in the NFL, remains in Dallas and is as president of Pro-Style Associates, which handles appearances, promotions and marketing for professional athletes and entertainers.

Which Super Bowl ring do you value most? I will wear the Cowboys ring. I will not wear the Steelers ring. I am not a Steeler and I don't associate myself with them. I had my best years here. I felt I was much more wanted here, and they let me exploit my abilities.

What's your best Super Bowl moment? It was the victory we [Cowboys] had over Denver in the 1977 season. That was the most rewarding for me because we played as a team. It stands out because it was a team victory the way everybody talks about. In 1974 [with the Steelers], I was just there. I was just on the roster.

Who is the better coach: Don Shula, Chuck Noll or Tom Landry? Ranking them, it would be Landry, Shula and Noll. Landry was just much more prepared. I think he was the best ever. I have problems with Chuck. There was a while it was always on my mind, the way I was released with the Steelers. Shula was young and very intense. I saw him yell at [Johnny] Unitas and Raymond Berry. He was a complete coach.

If you had a vote for the Ring of Honor, who goes in next? It would probably be Harvey Martin and then Drew Pearson. And Charlie [Waters] coming right behind them. I just believe those guys have to be next. Let's get this over with and get them in. If he [Jerry Jones] really wants to honor the old guys, he needs to put six in there before the new stadium opens.

How will the Cowboys finish this season? They're a .500 team. Finishing 8-8 would be good. If they get into the playoffs, I would be pleasantly surprised, but it would take a lot of doing.

IN THE KNOW

Preston Pearson

Position: Running back

Career: Baltimore Colts, 1967-69; Pittsburgh Steelers, 1970-74; Cowboys, 1975-1980

Highlights: Played in five Super Bowls. Won titles with the Steelers in 1974 and Cowboys in 1977. Led the Cowboys with 47 receptions in 1978. Led Cowboys in receptions in Super Bowls X and XII, with five in each.

Residence: Dallas

Occupation: President and part owner of Pro-Style Associates, which handles appearances, promotions and marketing for professional athletes and entertainers. Started the company in 1979. Also works with Raymond James and Associates in Fort Worth.

Notable: Drafted by the Colts as a defensive back, where he played his first two NFL seasons. Played for the University of Illinois basketball team. In Dallas, he designed a Cowboys bandana that was sold at Sears department stores.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,780 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    Great read - PP is one of my favorite Cowboys ever.
  3. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Ditto Sarge.......Prerston P. was Mr clutch. Roger's go-too guy on 3rd down and 95% of the time he was open.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,780 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    Yep - great memories of ol' number 26.
  5. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I loved Preston Pearson. That was one tough guy. You talk about bringing swagger to a team. PP was the man.

I remember seeing him walk through a group of Redskins as they were squaring off with a couple of Cowboys and just squashing that little skirmish with his presence.
  6. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,367 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    For all you fans of Preston, I'm about to make you real jealous. I work with the Dallas Cowboys Corral and Preston handles our player autograph sessions. He's a great guy and a Cowboy Legend for sure. If you want to meet him I suggest you click on the link in my signature and check out our game packages. Or you could just show up at the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine the day before a Cowboys home game. He'll be there signing autographs with a few other players, past and present.
  7. kingwhicker

kingwhicker BCRSA

3,290 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I met Preston at Bill Bates radio show in December 1993 when I was a young man of 20 years. The show was held at Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas on a Monday night- the Saints & Giants were the MNF game that night (game was in NO, the Giants won). We had just beaten Minnesota in MIN the day before and had a game against Washington the following Sunday, Dec. 26. Anyway, Bates' guests that night were Staubach & Drew Pearson. Preston just happened to be there as well. Needless to say it was a cool night for me- I got all three of their autographs and got to express my man love to them. I went to the game against Washington the next sunday, that was the worst beat-down either of us have ever given the other: 38-3, we scored 38 unanswered, they scored a long fg on an Aikman fumble at the beginning of the game.