1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rob Ryan vs Saints 2010

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zman5, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    In 2010 Browns played the Saints in NO. Looking at the box score, Cleveland's defense only gave up 17 points and intercepted Brees 4 times and sacked him 3 times.

Now I didn't see the game so I don't know the details of how the game went down. Looking at the box score, it looks like all the Saints offensive players were playing. So it wasn't like the Saints were missing key starters on offense.

Obviously, Rob had a scheme against Brees that worked. If Rob can pull another rabbit out of the hat and only give up 17 points this Sunday, we will win.
  2. elcowboi

elcowboi Active Member

871 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    He used a lot of odd fronts and complex scheme that confused Brees. I'm not sure this defense will play like that with so many guys injured. I think he may keep the safeties deep to try and stop the deep ball.
  3. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly, two of those turnovers were from DL (possibly by the same person) and went for a td.
  4. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,164 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    I think this game will be a shoot-out with the last team with the ball winning the game. I just can't see this banged up D holding the Saints to less than 30 points. Can Romo and the offense keep up? We shall see:)
  5. EGTuna

EGTuna Active Member

380 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This column by Raphael Vela from July of 2011 touches on how Ryan thwarted Brees and Company in 2010. Basically they did a lot of pre-snap disguising. With 6 starters out, we probably won't see too much of that this week.
  6. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    That was one of the games, combined with what he did to Brady that same year I think, that got him the job here.
  7. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Well lets hope Sunday's game is one of the ones that help him keep his job here.:)

Couple things I have a hard time understanding........

We have people out so we probably won't do much of anything to disguise what we're doing? Really? It makes sense to play em straight up and win with talent alone when we lack it?

I know have soo many new faces can make playing exotic schemes problematic.......but we need to take that chance.

The other thing that gets me is people saying they can't see us doing well defensively in this spot. I'm not saying it's likely we do well, but can't is certainly overstating it.

No doubt in my mind we can keep them under 20 points. In fact I'll go on record right now and predict a 34-20 win.
  8. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I gotta give him credit though with all these injuries to our team. He's got them playing well enough to win ball games.
  9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido Member

406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll never forget that Cleveland game. The Saints came into the game with two of three RB's picked up off the street, Ladell Betts and Julius Jones. The third RB was undrafted rookie Chris Ivory. The defense played great that game holding the Browns to 210 yards of total offense and 68 of that was by their punter on a fake punt! The Browns scored twice on defense and everything that could go wrong did for the Saints offense, yet Brees still passed for over 330 yards and two TD's.
  10. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I somewhat agree with this. And since most of the DL and OLBs are guys who has been with the team from the beginning of the season, I'm hoping Rob can do some of the exotic stuff this Sunday.
  11. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    The trouble with those exotic schemes is it only takes one person screwing up their assignment and you're giving up an 80 yard TD.

That has been our issue frequently. For Ryan's sake I assume our play design does not involve leaving gigantic voids in the middle of the field, so I'm thinking our new plug and play pieces just aren't sure what to do on some plays. That should certainly make us reluctant to toss this stuff out frequently, but as we saw last week a well timed and well executed blitz can completely change the game.
  12. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Our defense may not play as well as Cleveland did in 2010, but I can assure you the Saints defense isn't going to hold our offense to 210 yards.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Shaun Rogers was also a one man wrecking crew in that game. I thought he killed Brees on a couple of those hits.