1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Robert De Niro to play Vince Lombardi

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Illini88228, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I don't know if this is the right forum for this exactly, but thought it was kind of interesting when I saw it on IMDB.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010...-play-legendary-football-coach-vince-lombardi
    Robert De Niro to play legendary football coach Vince Lombardi

By Gregory Ellwood

Robert De Niro has already won one Oscar playing legendary boxer Jake LaMotta in "Raging Bull," can he win another as the firey Green Bay Packers icon Vince Lombardi? Is a casting coup for fledgling ESPN Films, De Niro has agreed to play the championship football coach in the new motion picture "Lombardi."

Based on the book "Instant Replay" written by Jerry Kramer and Dick Schaap, the film will center on the formative years Lombardi took the Packers from worst team in the NFL to five-time league champions. Eric Roth, who collaborated with De Niro on "The Good Shepherd" but is best known for his screenplay for "Forest Gump," is adapting. De Niro will also co-produce along with his longtime partner Jane Rosenthal and the NFL through hi Tribeca Productions company. No director has committed to the project at this time.

In a statement, Rosenthal, co-founder of the Tribeca Film Festival along with De Niro, said, "We've had an extraordinary relationship with ESPN for five years through the Tribeca Film Festival, and now we're able to extend that association into production."

The NFL is also very pleased about having the two-time Oscar winner on board. The leagues Charles Coplin used a number of sports analogies noting, "There are few actors who could accurately portray the fire, passion and grit of Lombardi and we're thrilled to have Robert De Niro on our team. With the addition of De Niro, Eric and Tribeca Productions, we have a deep bench to produce a film worthy of the legendary coach and American icon."

Production appears as though it won't occur until sometime in 2011. ESPN and the NFL would like the film to release the weekend between the AFC and NFC Championships and Super Bowl 2012. That would be a tenative release date of Friday, Jan. 27, 2012. It is unclear which studio would distribute the picture, but one would have to assume ESPN parent company Walt Disney Studios would be in the mix.
  2. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,604 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    dumb move...there are other actors who could be better options.
  3. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Yea like Deniro isnt the best actor ever
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Was carrot top too busy?
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,604 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    DeNiro looks nothing like Lombardi.....and didn't Lombardi have a gap, maybe Strahan could play Vince.
  6. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I thought i heard Robert Duvall was going to play the role.
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think Bob Hoskins would make a better Lombardi.
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,707 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Earnest Borgnine... just sayin'...

Yeah... he is old...
  9. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You're right. Hollywood could never fix that.:rolleyes:
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,604 Messages
    38 Likes Received

kind of hard to make a gap where there isnt one....unless DeNiro has false teeth already. im just saying someone else should play the role is all.
  11. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Not to be a jerk, but considering there was just a movie out that features half a cast of 8 foot tall blue people. I'm thinking they can take care of the gap. But I do agree that he seems like an odd choice to play lombardi.

I do see the resemblence between lombardi and borgnine. Unfortunately, Borgnine is already 40 years older than Lombardi was when he died. But De Niro is a lot older than lombardi was too.
  12. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeNiro will do a good job.
  13. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Any guesses who might play Landry?
  14. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "You talkin' to me Nitschke?"

Good luck to the director.

[youtube]uxCUBU0n_XU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Excuse me Mr. Referee....Are you talking to me? I don't see any other coach standing here
  16. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,969 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Was Lombardi a my way or the hi-way kinda guy?
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,169 Messages
    1,296 Likes Received
    74, that is the understatement of the Millenium. BP was a fuzzy bunny compared to Lombardi.
  18. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Was Pauly Shore not available?