1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Robert Griffin III or Russell Wilson---for the price?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by DFWJC, Jan 6, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Robert Griffin and Russell Wilson finished the regular season with the two best QB passer ratings in NFL history for a rookie. They both seem to be outstanding leaders and their stats are very similar:

Griffin:
    3200 yards passing
    27 total TDs
    815 yards rushing
    Rating = 102.4

Wilson:
    3118 yards passing
    29 total TDs
    489 yards rushing
    Rating = 100.0

But here's the catch.....
    • Washington spent THREE 1st and a 2nd round picks to get Griffin
    • Seattle spent a one 3rd round pick to get Wilson
    So knowing what we now know, would take this trade?

RG3 + 2013 3rd rounder for
    Russell Wilson + 2012 1st rounder +2012 2nd rounder + 2013 1st rounder + 2014 1st rounder
  2. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,980 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    Both impressive but id rather have luck. Have to vote neither at the price.
  3. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    There are some (not most) who have watched both play a lot that would actually take Wilson straight up over Griffin. Not me.
    But throw in THREE 1st rounders and a 2nd....no brainer for me.
  4. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    You would not take Russell Wilson for a 3rd round pick?
    If anything , you could trade him for a first if you wanted someone else.
  5. supafly

supafly Member

140 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    fyi, the Redskins traded a 1st for a 1st, so their net loss was 2 1sts and a 2nd. Another thing to keep in mind is that next years draft has garbage for QBs, so the value of this years 1st was imo much more valuable.
  6. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    They traded THREE firsts and a second for 1 first--whcih they spent on Griffin.
    Hence, they spent 3 1st rounders and 2nd rounder to get Griffin.

They could have used their 3rd rounder on Wilson and kept all three 1st rounders and the second.

All in hindsight, of course.
  7. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,980 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    Hes worth a 3rd round pick but I wouldn't have thought so before this year. Seeing him In college anyway.
  8. supafly

supafly Member

140 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Again, you make it sound like they lost 3 1sts and a 2nd, they only lost 2 1sts and a 2nd.
  9. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Steal.

But yes, I should have reinterated that "given what we know now" what would you do? Would you trade Griffin for Wilson and also get three 1sts and a 2nd rounder to boot?
  10. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Griffin was one of the 1st rounders. They used their 1st rounder plus 2 more 1st rounders (plus another 2nd) to get him.
    That equals three 1st rounders. That is what they used, three 1st rounders to get him.
    Straight forward draft stuff here. i'm not trying to make it look like any more than it was.
  11. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Its easy. Take Russell Wilson and the picks.
  12. supafly

supafly Member

140 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If they only did a straight up trade of first round picks this year, would you still say they spent a first to get RG3? I dont think so.
  13. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Yes, the only differcne would be where thepoick was. it still would be a 1st round pick.
    Look, if you don't think Griffin cost them 3 1st rounders--one that they had and were going to probably use in 2012 anyway, but one nevertheless...plus two more in the future--then we would go around and around on this all day and not get anywhere.
    No big deal. I guess it's be different if boty were 1st rounders, then you could say one player plys 2 1st for the other. But it was not.
  14. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,361 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Russell Wilson would have never gotten to show his stuff in Dallas. He would have rode the bench behind Tony Romo then after two years would have been shipped off to some other team who would have discovered his talents.

Having said that, I would have been very difficult to give up the amount of picks the Redskins gave to get RGIII. But if he's the real deal, you make that trade.
  15. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,239 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    After watching Wilson tonight I might like him straight up, he's got IT.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,922 Messages
    944 Likes Received
    What's hilarious is that this time last year, and right up until be started lighting it up, there were A LOT of people that wanted absolutely no part of Wilson. His height scared a lot of people off to the point where they didn't even want him in the 4th round - where he was projected at the time.

I have no idea what's going on in Seattle. Bruce Irvin in the first, Bobby Wagner in the 2nd and Russel Wilson in the 3rd... that takes some balls. Hell, all their corners are like 6'3" and their SS weighs 230 lbs. I can't think of anyone on the staff having the balls to put together a team the way they have, much less fans supporting it. No one even wants to bring a safety in that weighs over 200 lbs because they are still gun shy from Roy Williams.
  17. DFWJC

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    What is the head-scratcher in this poll is that anyone would not want either one....not even Wilson at the price of one 3rd round pick!

I mean we are doing this after knowing how good he is now so no risk. Yet there are some who want to keep their 3rd round pick for a player that they keep or get a 1st rounder for.
    Truly baffling.

There are 11 people that would not trade a 3rd round pick for a 1st round pick...or more.
  18. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,186 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Not even taking the picks into account, I'd rather have Wilson than RG3 and have been more impressed with Wilson all season long. I also think he will be around much longer than RG3. Better pure passer when I watch them play.

RG3 may want to look at the history of the NFL and see that his type of QBs just don't have a very long shelf life. Plus, don't they design the offense to where he has to make no real reads at all? You can't survive on that too long after they get a whole season of game film to study. When you actually force him to be pocket passer, he does not look that good.

I think there was a reason they also took Cousins in the same draft. Just 3 rounds later. Insurance policy because RG3's type is real risky.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,992 Messages
    1,377 Likes Received
    If Wilson improves his deep ball accuracy, he's going to be a serious star. He might not have the same explosive speed, but he's just as elusive as Griffin in the pocket, and seems to have a better mental grasp of the game.
  20. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,680 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    All I saw was 3 first round draft picks laying on the ground in DC.