1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Robert Mathis’s agent accuses the NFL of misleading the public

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by joseephuss, May 19, 2014.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,794 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ent-accuses-the-nfl-of-misleading-the-public/

Robert Mathis’s agent accuses the NFL of misleading the public

The agent for Colts outside linebacker Robert Mathis is continuing his public campaign against the NFL as a result of the league suspending Mathis four games for violating the policy against performance-enhancing substances.

On Friday, agent Hadley Englehard accused the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell of acting in an “unjust and unfair” way. That led to a rare response from the NFL defending its suspension of Mathis. Today, Englehard said on Mike & Mike that the league’s statement defending Mathis’s suspension was misleading.

“They released a statement, which the NFL never does, and even in their statement, they’re misleading the public,” Englehard said.

What Englehard said was misleading was the NFL’s focus on the fact that the drug Mathis used, Clomid, is FDA approved only for women, not for men. Englehard said that doesn’t mean men can’t legitimately use it as a fertility drug.

“There’s many drugs that are not FDA approved for certain things and are used for other things, and the doctor, in direct and cross examination, even talked about that: He’s been using this as a fertility drug for 20-plus years. There’s not one shred of evidence, there’s not one shred of testimony, that says anything but, Robert used it not for anything but fertility. He used it for a short period of time, 10 to 12 days, once he found out his wife was pregnant he stopped taking it. He has the left over medication from it. There is not one shred of evidence that he used it for other than fertility,” Englehard said.
  2. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Recreational use
    Clomifene is commonly used by male users to bind the estrogen receptors in their bodies, thereby blocking the effects of estrogen, such as gynecomastia. It also restores the body's natural production of testosterone.[18] It is included on the World Anti-Doping Agency list of illegal doping agents in sport.[1

When you wait till your 32 years old to lead the league in sacks it's gonna raise some eyebrows.
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  3. joseephuss

20,794 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    I agree. It doesn't matter why he used the drug. The drug is illegal by NFL standards. Even if he was using it for the purpose he states, he still broke NFL policy. He and every player should always consult with the NFL or at least their respective team physician prior to taking any substance. It is pretty straightforward.
    OhSnap likes this.
  4. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,327 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I am with you on this, but let us play Devils advocate. In Colorado, weed is legal, if he lived in Denver, and tested positive, would you support the NFL suspending him? What if all of a sudden, the NFL banned alcohol?

I can't say I buy his story, so I support the suspension.
  5. joseephuss

20,794 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    It is the leagues set of standards. Those standards may differ from a state such as Colorado or Washington, but they still play under the blanket of the NFL. It isn't a matter of me supporting the NFL because I may disagree with some of the rules they have. I just don't see how Mathis can win the argument. I wouldn't see how a current Bronco or Seahawk could win the argument, either if one of them smoked pot in their respective states and then failed a league test. The rules are the rules. I'm all for changing some rules in football, both on and off the field. Until they do I don't see how a player can beat a suspension whether I agree with whatever product they ban or not. I'm actually all for players roiding up. It maxes out their abilities, which translates to better games.
  6. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

802 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    No. Some of the drugs aren't illegal just outlawed by the NFL. Weed is currently outlawed by the NFL even tho it's legal in a few states. The show allow weed tho and I'm not a weed guy at all.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,371 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    Plus the excuse that he used it for fertility is bunk. I see a league that called him out for his bs
  8. CashMan

1,327 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I agree, but if his story is true, and a doctor prescribed something, for he and his wife to become pregnant, I don't see why he should get suspended. You only have so much time to have kids.(I don't believe his story though)
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    because he was stupid. Instead of contacting the league and asking about it he did nothing. Stupidity should cost you.
  10. joseephuss

20,794 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    Exactly. This is something he should have been proactive about. He should have contacted the league and explained his situation and instructed his doctor to speak with league officials. They may have allowed an exception to their rules.
  11. CashMan

1,327 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I will say this, if a doctor prescribes something, it should trump the policy.
  12. EST_1986

802 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    Insert the crooked doctors
  13. CashMan

1,327 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I understand, but you would hope, that didn't happen. Prescribing something for fertility, is a little different than adderall.
  14. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    so any quack can do what he wants?
  15. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    why don't you do a little research on the drug in question.
  16. EST_1986

802 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    But under your proposed rule change adderall is fine as long as it's prescribed?
  17. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,371 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    Ridiculous. Dr likely prescribed for his wife. Women take clomid for fertility. If there were concerns about his fertility Dr would have suggested IUI or IVF.

The whole you only have so much time argument is silly. If that was a concern they'd move right to artificial insemination. Expensive but he can easily afford it
  18. Ferrumz

Ferrumz Member

131 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Clomid is commonly used by steroid users to get their hormones back to normal while reactivating testosterone production and countering the side effects after a steroid cycle. It's part of most post cycle therapies or more commonly known as PCT. His story is complete bs.
    mcompact likes this.
  19. CashMan

1,327 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I can't say, I did research on the drug. I said, I did not believe his story, and it also doesn't make sense, that a man would be taking fertility drugs.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,523 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Yep. If he lived in Colorado and tested positive, he should still be suspended.