1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Robert Newhouse passes away at 64

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

1,233 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    It is always tough when one of the people you admired as a child passes on. Condolences to his family.
    lane likes this.
  2. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,548 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Newhouse was a great Coog and a great Cowboy. More importantly, he was a great person. RIP House.
  3. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,251 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Sad I was too young to ever see him play. But I got the chance to meet him years ago. Just an all around great guy. He spent so much time with each fan and seemed to genuinely care about what we had to say, and he ended up staying past what his appearance said he would so he could meet more fans. It was a treat to meet him. RIP

[IMG]
    lane, Boyzmamacita and Tawney88 like this.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,211 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Very sad to hear. He was a real grinder who had a very good low center of gravity as a runner/blocker. I remember an old issue of Inside Sports where they were showing the freakish size of NFL players. They featured Too Tall Jones' hands and Newhouse's quads.

Interestingly enough, he nearly became a Steeler when he was draft eligible in 1972. The Steelers had a big internal debate between taking him or Franco Harris. Noll preferred Harris, the scouts preferred Newhouse. While Newhouse didn't have the career Harris did, he was a vital cog for the Cowboys, contributing as a runner, blocker, pass receiver and special teams player. RIP to ol' #44.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,730 Messages
    1,225 Likes Received
    Way to young to pass away. My heart goes out to his family.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,068 Messages
    1,983 Likes Received
    He sounds like he was a great guy. Heartwarming to hear.

RIP.
  7. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    He was a great player. I was born after he played but I have watched a lot of games from the 70s through the internet an he's one of my favorite players from the 70s Cowboys teams.
  8. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,673 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Here's him in action in 1978 against the Packers. It was one of his 5 career 100 yard games as a Cowboy.

theSHOW likes this.
  9. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    1,071 Likes Received
    I was thinking he was Marion the barbarian before there was a Marion barber. Regardless one of my all time favs
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  10. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  11. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Nice long drive culminating in a Newhouse baboom baboom into the endzone. Preston Pearson...Tony Dorsett and number 44. Come on those were the glory years. Pearson, and Hill with Johnson out wide. Roger in at QB while soon to be leader Danny White punting it. The offensive line did a little lift and reset every play in concert. The defense was always in control.
  12. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,205 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    A sad day for Cowboys and fans.

Landry needed 6 yards for a first down? No problem. Send Newhouse crashing tthrough the right of the line. Need a 7-yard flutter pass reception? There he was.

Mr. Newhouse, like so many others, we didn't know what we halfed until you were gone.

RIP. This proud son of the hills of Farmers Branch thanks you for all your blood, sweat and tears for mein team. Thx for all the exciting plays and the running punch you provided. This is truly sad for us, your family and the NFL.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  13. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,370 Messages
    1,536 Likes Received
    Yes!!! QFT. Those were the days. I'm a 36 year Cowboys fan because of that era. RIP Robert Newhouse. And thank you.
    Phoenix, PA Cowboy Fan and theSHOW like this.
  14. MarkP88

MarkP88 Active Member

109 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    In John Facenda voice, "...Robert Newhouse used his body like the business end of a torpedo..."

RIP to a great Cowboy.
    CowboyGil likes this.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,049 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    Been kind of avoiding this thread. Don't know why, I guess it just pains me to think that Robert Newhouse has passed.

I truly enjoyed Watching Newhouse play football.

RIP Robert Fulton Newhouse. You will be missed.
  16. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

812 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    S
    Yeah, we're seeing guys our age pass on. Feeling vulnerable.

#44 was only 5'8", but had 44" thighs.
    #4 all time rusher for Cowboys after 12 year career.

To the young 'uns: Watch some old highlights if you haven't seen him play. Aren't many like him.
  17. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

953 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    So sorry to hear this, RIP and Thanks for the memories.
  18. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,196 Messages
    5,683 Likes Received
  19. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,881 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    Me too. I started following the team in the mid 70's when he was in his prime. I loved all those guys. What an era it was.
  20. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,859 Messages
    1,026 Likes Received
    Big #44.I remember my older brother's vibrating football, where the little players would vibrate down the field, usually in a circle pattern. The two teams were the Steelers and the Cowboys. The big picture on the front of the games' long box was Newhouse carrying three or four Steelers for extra yards.
    CowboyGil and PA Cowboy Fan like this.