1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Robert Newhouse passes away at 64

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 22, 2014.

1. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    "Brown Right X Opposite Shift. Fire Toss 38. Half-Back Lead. Full Back Pass To Y. On 2."

Thank you Robert for ALL the indelible memories in the Fall and Winter. And, for letting me win at a game of "Action Twenty-one" every once in awhile in the Summer.

R.I.P.
  2. Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Active Member

335 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Wow I wore his jersey number as a boy growing up in Texas. I was a fullback my first several years in Optimist football in Arlington Texas playing for the Dunn Dragons. He was the first Cowboys player I admired.
  3. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

906 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    You rarely see players like him anymore................He will be missed. Hope J.C. Copeland can follow in his shoes....

[IMG]
  4. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,443 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Some wonderful articles and pictures and teammate memories of Newhouse in the Newsfeed zone. You can almost hear the tears in Dorsett's quotes.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,882 Messages
    4,454 Likes Received
    Sad day for the Boys.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    RIP. Tough player. One of my favorites from the 1970s. Very underappreciated.
  7. jubal

jubal Active Member

659 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Was fortunate to get to meet him at a charity game of Cowboy ex'es against policemen at H.E.B. stadium in the 80's.
    If I remember, he pulled something and was standing in the shade and gave me his autograph and talked to me for awhile.
    The man was a class act.
    Read in the Star-Telegram that he had two boys and two girls with his wife,offering prayers for his family during this sad time.
    lane likes this.
  8. 44cowboys22

44cowboys22 Active Member

228 Messages
    36 Likes Received
  9. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,026 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I'm really saddened to hear this. RIP 44.
    lane likes this.
  10. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,024 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Well before Robert Newhouse died, sympathies were given after a character assassination.

It was 1975(?) and on a Monday Night Football game, the Cowboys were starting to run up the score on Detroit. As it was getting time for Don Meredith to warm up and sing The Party's Over...Howard Cozell started to diss the Cowboys. Overrated. Overhyped. Then he declared: "Robert Newhouse is no Calvin Hill." At that point, Howard Cozell became Public Enemy #1 for Cowboy's Fans. At sports bars, bets would be made and the winner would get rights to take a shotgun to a black-and-white TV when Cozell appeared on Monday Night Football.

A few months later, ABC did a night broadcast of a Texas Rangers game in Arlington. Somehow a hack interrupted and on national TV: "Can you hear me Howard?" Cozell acknowledged it and blew it off. A few minutes later, the hacker declared, again on the air: "Howard Cozell, Texas hates your guts!" :D

Back to Robert Newhouse. The Steelers were considering him over Franco Harris. In a later era he probably would have had 1000-yard seasons. He played every game like he would be cut. Like someone said earlier: He was Darrell Johnston before he came around. He did one thing Calvin Hill and no other running back up to that time ever did: a TD pass - I saw it personally.

We miss you.
    lane likes this.
  11. lane

lane The Chairman

11,016 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Many great memories of watching Robert Newhouse. great person on and off the field.

He was a cannonball with Earl Campbell thighs before Earl had them.

Always loved watching him play on Sundays...really hits hard when people you grew up watching leave.

everyone must die...does not mean it doesn't hurt.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  12. lane

lane The Chairman

11,016 Messages
    877 Likes Received
  13. lane

lane The Chairman

11,016 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    great pic ...great pic indeed.
  14. manster4ever

manster4ever Active Member