1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Rod Marinelli and Orlando Scandrick Interview Tweets - 06/03/14...vid Post #7

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 3, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Rod Marinelli

Brandon George @DMN_George · 4m
    • Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli said LB Bruce Carter has "incredible talent" and is "passionate about football."
    • Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli says about LB Bruce Carter: "Right now we're just going to put a saddle on him and ride him."
    • Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli on his 3 CBs: "These guys are really good man corners. They really add something to the defense."
    • Dallas Cowboys DC Marinelli on J.J. Wilcox: “I just sense he’s going to make a step. You feel good about it, but now he’s got to go do it.”

Orlando Scandrick
    Jon Machota @jonmachota · 12h
    • Orlando Scandrick: "Sean Lee wasnt a leader just b/c he was a leader, he was a leader b/c he was a helluva player. We lost a helluva player"
    • Scandrick says he hasn't hit his ceiling, wants to make Pro Bowl. Needs more INTs. "If u dont intercept the ball youre not going to Hawaii."
    BigStar likes this.
  2. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,516 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Scandrick doesn't need to worry about getting interceptions because they don't always tell the entire story. If he plays solid football the interceptions will come, but hunting for interceptions instead of doing your job is hero ball and can be detrimental to the secondary.
    jday likes this.
  3. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I'd like to hear Marinelli say at least one negative thing about someone so I can take his other comments seriously. Otherwise, good to hear.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I think his negative comment is when there's no comment at all.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    guag and BigStar like this.
  5. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    The only way OScan is getting interceptions is if the ball gets stuck in his face mask.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,228 Messages
    7,021 Likes Received
    • Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli on his 3 CBs: "These guys are really good man corners. They really add something to the defense."
    Quoted for emphasis, since this will undoubtedly keep coming up during the long offseason.

Zimmy, if you haven't already, you should listen to the whole Marinelli interview up on DC.com today. He's pretty frank about all the players he discusses. It's not all coach-speak. Of course, he's diplomatic, but it's not hard to understand exactly where he stands.
    BigStar and Zimmy Lives like this.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Video per your suggestion: http://www.dallascowboys.com/multim...d-In-Man/78342e40-a0bd-484f-a617-d9acff590330
    Idgit and Zimmy Lives like this.
  8. Zimmy Lives

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Thank Idgit, I'll try and listen during my lunch break!

I like hearing positive things from the DC but you always wonder.
  9. Zimmy Lives

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
  10. Idgit

31,228 Messages
    7,021 Likes Received
    You still have to read between the lines. For example, I think he refers to Wilcox as 'real solid' last year. He qualifies the bit on Carter by saying 'I think' football is important to him. He compares our current CB group favorably to the cover-two group he had in Chicago (again, calling them 'solid' when he clearly means ours are better), that sort of thing. When you read the transcript it all sounds positive to one degree or another, but it's pretty clear how he feels when you hear him say it.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,534 Likes Received
    Not sure I would say negative comment but a pretty straight forward one Rod made not long ago.

Marinelli said he doesn’t “do confidence stuff,” but that Carter, who didn’t force a turnover or recover a fumble last year, has to “take the ball away.”

“Go play,” Marinelli said, via Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com. “It’s a man’s game, man. Play it the right way. That’s what I want. We’re going to coach it. We’ll coach you hard. Be where you’re supposed to be. This is what we expect. And then go.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...carter-its-a-mans-game-play-it-the-right-way/

I think main thing is what is done as opposed to what is said, coach is not going to slam a player to the media but when Carter struggled he found a spot on the bench quickly.
    Zimmy Lives and BigStar like this.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Most interesting thing I thought was that -- if I understood him correctly -- under Marinelli the Will (Carter) this year will stay behind the 3-tech, flipping sides depending on the offensive front or the call... A lot like what Phillips did with his defense. So he won't just stay on the left or right.
  13. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    1,846 Likes Received
    How many people has he given praise to? And by praise this is pretty faint. Carter has great talent. I don't think any of us would question that.

Further do you know how these things work in the NFL? Coaches usually do (and as they should) keep dirt in house. Who was the last coach to pick out their player and say they suck?

Are you familiar with what it takes for a productive work environment?
  14. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,842 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Was about to comment on it too and saw your post. I LOVE that he is acknowledging that we have MAN corners and the scheme should be altered to fit that talent; helps with the unknown/underwhelming S talent (currently).
    Idgit likes this.
  15. Idgit

31,228 Messages
    7,021 Likes Received
    Yeah, that part was pretty good stuff. I think they've got fairly high hopes for Carter in this defense, actually. Given they were looking at possibly bringing in a WIL in the first round, it shows you how important the position is to him.
    BigStar likes this.
  16. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,394 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    I don't think Carter's struggles last year had to do with a lack of passion or talent. I just think he struggled to understand the scheme well enough to let his natural talent flow. He was, as coaches say, thinking too much. It's probably good from that standpoint that Dallas is just working him at WLB instead of also considering him at MLB. If he gets comfortable at the position, I think we'll see both his passion and his talent.

It's good that Marinelli also recognizes what kind of corners he has. Of course, Kiffin did last year and then stuck them in zone more than he should have. Of course, I think some of that had to do with the line problems. If your line can't get pressure, you don't really want a corner having to chase a receiver all over the field.

Wilcox should make a step based on the talent that's easy to see. This camp will be important for him, and a bunch more on this defense, to get comfortable in the scheme. If he does, like Carter, his natural ability should begin to shine through.

Dallas has to have some of these talent players on defense make a leap from where they were last year in order to make up for losing Lee and actual improve the unit's performance. And it needs it most on the line ... or everything else will crumble under the lack of pressure.
  17. Zimmy Lives

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    You're kidding, right?

I played ball at the college level so I understand the locker room environment. I also spent several years in upper management; specifically I was a leadership mentor. Now I run a three person consulting business that nets close to $1,000,000.00 per year.

Yes, I think I can comment on coach speak. It is because people in effective leadership positions successfully accentuate the positives (in their subordinates) and minimize their negatives that I take Marinelli's comments with a grain of salt.

Like I said, I like what I hear, regardless.
    BigStar likes this.
  18. Idgit

31,228 Messages
    7,021 Likes Received
    I think all of it had to do with the problems up-front. As late as November (iirc) Jerry was publicly calling for more man coverages. We weren't running them more, so there obviously was a reason for it. It's not like Jerry wanted it and Jason/Monte just didn't want to do it.
  19. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,842 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Derrick Brooks was Kiff's playmaker in TB...Briggs in CHI (Rod). WLB is supposed to be the playmaker and (tackling machine) position in this D and Carter definitely has the athleticism for it (the passion/drive is still tbd unfortunately) I like Carter's potential (one of, if not the fastest LB in the league).
    Idgit likes this.
  20. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Marinelli is a good coach. That is not the problem. He has proven he can put good defenses together. He will need Carter to have a great season imo.

What is worrisome to me is the talent. right now, I can't say with confidence that Dallas has one starter on the front 7 who is even an average NFL starter. I don't think that can be said of any other team in the league. I am sure Marinelli will get the guys to play hard, but they just lack talent. I would think Melton would be an above average player and he has played under Marinelli before. Although I will wait to see how he fits in dallas and is back from his injury first.