1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Roger gets the blame, but who is really at fault

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by eliland, Sep 26, 2012.

1. eliland

eliland Benched

241 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I laugh when i see the man crushes on Jerry Jones, and a few topics down, people bashing the Commish for the referee strike.

Roger answers to the owners... the people named Jones, Mara, Schnieder, Irsay, etc....

I doubt Roger really cares if the refs get a better deal... its not his money.

Time to put the blame were it belongs, on the greedy owners.
  2. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,075 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I am all for blaming Roger and the Owners for everything under the sun that is their fault; however, in this case, those truly at fault are the regular refs. They do a mediocre job to begin with and their demands in this negotiation are simply ridiculous, especially arguing about training refs to replace them once they retire.
  3. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    This exactly. Nothing to add.
  4. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    The ref deal isn't just about money. The NFL wants to train backup refs for when the new ones retire but the current refs are worried about job security.
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    I can see that to a degree.

But the fact is that as the commissioner, Goodell is hired by the owners, but his JOB is to look out for the best interests of the league.

Instead, he's been quite happy with becoming a sock puppet, yes-man for the ownership and it has quite frankly hurt the league. He has a history of being a terrible sock puppet for the league in a rather short term so far as commissioner.

Personally, I think the referee thing is media hysteria. The 'real' refs blow the same calls, don't even know the entire rulebook and I'm not so certain they make a different call on the Seattle TD. But, the announcers and media have carte blanche into making a point to rip the current refs because they have the 'replacement' or 'scab' label in front of them. However, they'll clam up and ignore the awful calls the real refs will make once they come back.

The problem is that even though I think it's very sensationalistic nonsense by the media, it's still a problem because that's the perception and often times perception becomes reality, whether we like it or not.

But, that's part of what the commisioner is supposed to do, foresee these types of disasters and convince the ownership to take action before it gets out of hand. And in particular Goodell, who cut his teeth in the league office in their PR department.

Instead, he has just been glad to have the position and being the sock puppet for the owners. So yes, he deserves all of the criticism he can get.

YR
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Didn't the refs agree to that?
  7. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    It's a part-time job on top of their full-time job that is likely also 6 figures. I'm not sure "job security" would be how I describe it. How about we call it their grandchildren's financial security.
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    I think the differences between the job done by the real refs and the replacements was painfully apparent over the last three weeks.

ALL refs miss calls. If you think the regular refs are mediocre, then you'd have to call the replacements absolutely atrocious.
  9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    Roger is simply the mouthpiece for the owners in negotiations. He's not the person to be upset with. He couldn't care less about pensions for the referees; that's the owners' concern.

Where Goodell does have power is in enforcing the league rules as it relates to competitive balance and player/coach/franchise behavior and punishment.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    Not from anybody with a clue. 14 million a year jobs are hard to come by these days. I doubt he goes to the bath room without permission.
  11. eliland

eliland Benched

241 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Really, did Clay Matthews tweet Jerry Jones' phone number, or Daniel Schnieders', or the Mara's?
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    You guys need to know how the NFL operates. All decisions are finalized by the NFL executive committee which is just a body made up of one representative assigned by each team.

They however delegate authority to groups of owners. Think how congress works with their committees.

And sure enough there is a labor committee.

The members of that committee are outlined i the USA Today article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...ion-union-owners-cba-labor-negotiations_N.htm

Those are the guys that wen behind Jerry's back and hit us with the cap penalty. They are the ones that spearhead the labor negotiations. They have their law firms and negotiators etc but the executives for the day to day are those guys and Goodell. Mara is the chair.

I would imagine that more owners have gotten involved since the debacle that has been officiating has gotten worse but that is how the NFL is structured.
  13. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,225 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    This.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    At this point, I put ALL of the blame on the refs. Their demands are ridiculous.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Their demands are to play under the contract they initially had and the NFL agreed to. I would be interested to hear you say what you think their demands are.

This is not a strike. This is a lockout. Do you know what the difference is?
  16. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,918 Messages
    2,104 Likes Received
    Chris Mortenson said they put in 36 hours a week.

Thats kinda like Home Depot and other corp's having 36 hr work weeks so they dont have to pay benefits becasue the employee is only "part-time."
  17. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    You had mentioned previously that Goodell was a sock-puppet for Mara and Kraft specifically. Here is a bit more info on how the lockout ended:

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8452632/roger-goodell-shields-owners-criticism-inherent-part-job