1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rolando McClain's path to here

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jul 2, 2014.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,025 Likes Received
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,819 Likes Received
    I hope his time away has helped him get his life together, he still a young enough man at 24 about to be 25 to get this career back on track. I hope he has what it takes.
    5Stars and pancakeman like this.
  3. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    The money grubbing and leaching family members of professional athletes are some of the worst people in society. I can't stand them. As much as I don't think McClain has a passion for football, I hate what that young man had to go through. It's already hard enough growing up in a single parent household, then when you finally make it, the dead beat dad shows up. I wish McClain would have physically tossed him out of his draft party. I hate hearing stories like this, and they happen to these kind of guys every year.
    waving monkey and Kaiser like this.
  4. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,264 Messages
    1,780 Likes Received
    That was a great read. Best part for me was:
    The precautionary part was:
    Seems like he finally got a grip, cut the trash (family and friends) from his life, and started concentrating on life. Unfortunately, it seems like he is taking some parts of life for granted still. Regardless of his NFL future, he may be on the right path for himself. Finally.
    5Stars likes this.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,291 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    Some of those guys with his background never owned a car until they got to the NFL. Being a good, responsible driver was just not ingrained into people that didn't have a car to drive when they were first old enough to get a license.
    Carharris2, boyzjunkie and 5Stars like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    The only real issue is that there is all kinds of support for players when they enter the league. The Rookie Symposium goes over all of these kinds of issues.

They really have nobody to blame if they have hangers-on and leeches that exploit them. The help is there if they can motivate themselves to take it.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  7. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,268 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    Maybe Jerry will pay for some Easy Method classes?
  8. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,819 Likes Received
    I agree the NFL provides the support, it falls to the players to take advanatage of that support. However that ship sailed and McClain has to deal with the here and now, Cowboys are giving him a great oppertunity to turn his professional life around. This deal ensure him nothing if he wants it he will have to go out and earn it.
    5Stars and jday like this.
  9. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,126 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    good article. Hope he makes it.
  10. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

772 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Sounds like a very similar (in some ways) story to that of Tyron Smith - the family demanding money, harrassing him type stuff. Might be a good shoulder to lean on with the Cowboys. BUT, it deffinately sounds like Rolando is still not out of the woods yet. I would imagine after reading the article that there will be some problems at camp for him. I would bet even money that he is in some sort of camp fight. Hopefully, being with the Cowboys can help him. I remember the player he was at Alabama, would love to see him find that again in Dallas. Someone is going to have to take that Sabin roll in Dallas. Is Garrett strong enough to do it ?
    This could well be a very interesting signing, one that I could still see going either way right now.
    This is the human aspect of football, and I am going to root for him to make it - for the team, but mostly for himself. I hope this works out for him...
    scooper, reddyuta and 5Stars like this.
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    The symposium talks about that stuff. It does not give the players the tools to recognize if those sort of people are in their lives or the skills to avoid them. The idea that just because someone tells you something that it sinks in on multiple levels is absurd. That's like having someone attend a lecture on engineering and then saying they should be able to build a bridge.
    5Stars likes this.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    its called common sense. Either you have it or you don't. And from what I have heard about the symposium they are very explicit and precise about 'posse's' and 'hangers on' and family leaches. If you cannot recognize them in your own life when given such clear examples that is truly on you and no one else.
    AmericasTeam81 likes this.
  13. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Again. The take an engineering class then build a bridge analogy is relevant.
  14. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,938 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    May sound like an excuse but when your "boys" back you and try and keep you out of trouble because they see you have talent that will get you to the Penthouse, a person has an invested loyalty because in most cases they were the only people loyal to him. Once you make it sometimes the that loyalty can blind a person until those "friends" show the ugly side and see they were not loyal to the person but to the hope that you would be their meal ticket out of hell.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,969 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    "I once bought a $150,000 car just because my friends told me to. Not because I wanted it. Because they told me to."

The story lists like 10 warning flags. Yet I sense many here would call it inspirational.

Sigh. I remember a time when we were not this desperate.
  16. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,819 Likes Received
    I don't see it as inspirational I see it as a second chance for McClain with Dallas taking hardly any risk at all. All the pressure is on McClain to step up and play to his ability
    5Stars likes this.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,969 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Make the warning flags go away!!!
  18. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,275 Messages
    1,553 Likes Received
    That could be possible if you changed your forum name to "warning flags".
  19. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,819 Likes Received
    Warning flags? More like a test drive, he comes in and produces great we add a talented player to the 53 man roster. If he fails he is cut and Dallas lost nothing in the process.
  20. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,911 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    I can see another side to that story.
    We are all conditioned from the day we're born into certain beliefs and responses.it can be extremely hard
    not [example] be a party animal. If your family was you will tend that way.Those examples are endless.
    He still might not get his head right but IF he can we have jumped our LBing corp up a notch particularly next year.