1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ROLB does not necessarily equal WOLB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Dough Boy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcell's in today’s press conf made an important distinction that Right Outside Linebacker does not necessarily equate to Weak Outside Linebacker in his system. I know this has been a highly debated topic, so I thought it was nice for Bill to clear that up for the media.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,529 Messages
    471 Likes Received

This is pretty elementary information.

If the offense lines up with the TE to left (defense's right) then the ROLB is the SOLB, not the WOLB.

I'd been talking about this frequenlty earlier in the year.
  3. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know Rack, I think many people aruged with you about the point. I was just pointing out that maybe Parcells help make your point.

Obviously, this wasn't as elementary to all or else there would not have been prolonged debate about it.
  4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,136 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Where was I during these arguments.

And more to the point - who the frick thought otherwise?
  5. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    never saw any arguments either. weakside does not automatically mean blindside.
  6. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    go read through some of the draft threads. The debate over Lawson or Carpenter was largely about SOLB vs another Ware (ie WOLB). I'm surprised you guys don't recall all of those threads.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,529 Messages
    471 Likes Received

True true.

I guess I misunderstood your post, or your intentions. Sorry about that.

:banghead:

A couple of posters - who were on the Manny Lawson bandwagon - tried to argue that there are no more WOLB/SOLB's anymore, that there is only ROLB/LOLB in today's NFL.

The cowboys mainly did that with Ware last year but ONLY cuz he was a rookie learning a new position.
  8. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its all good. I don't think people understood how Ware was limited in the scheme last year b/c of the big jump from both small school and new position.
  9. MONT17

MONT17 New Member

3,269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware and Lawson would have been nice... but Bill wanted Carps kid... only time will tell if he was right!
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,781 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Funny how it's all becoming moot now with Ellis playing LOLB and Carpenter playing inside.
  11. theogt

43,781 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    No one thought otherwise. That wasn't what the argument was about.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,426 Messages
    1,638 Likes Received
    Speaking of Lawson... anyone heard how he's doing over in San Fran? Just wondering because I went back and forth on whether I wanted us to draft him or not.
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,529 Messages
    471 Likes Received

Ellis is playing SOLB. Don't tell me you still don't get it.

About Lawson, haven't heard a thing. Haven't heard anything about how any Niners are doing except for LA, and that was only cuz of Norv Turner.
  14. theogt

43,781 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Rack, that was the point of this thread. The strong and weak distinctions aren't accurate. Parcells quickly informed the reporter in the press conference of this. Ellis is playing LOLB. Thank you for informing everyone that it was YOU who didn't get it.
  15. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If both guys can rush the passer and play the run, it will bring a great deal of balance to the Defense almost akin to the two TE set for the Offense.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,058 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Ah....Rack brings up fond memories of Carpenter vs Lawson.

I miss those debates Rack, don't you?
  17. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Have we discussed whether Ellis can play the OLB position in this defense? I see Ellis as an intelligent player with good skills but making the change from DE to LB seems like a pretty big move to me. Clearly Parcells thinks Ellis can be effective in this role, but how many other players have made this type of transition at this point in their career?
  18. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    By all reports, he is doing a good job during training camp @ LOLB.
  19. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm no expert here but I believe linebackers face somewhat different types of blocks than DE's do. They must learn pursuit paths, methods of playing in different defenses and rushes (different from DE's), tackling in space, blitzing techniques, and covering and intercepting passes. All of this seems quite different to me and not learned overnight.
  20. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Have you read training camp practice reports 1 -14 over the prior week?