1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo 1-5 in win or go home games

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Dec 26, 2012.

1. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    The sad thing is Romo is going to catch hell either way. Lets be real here, even if we win, this team isn't going to do anything in the playoffs and Romo will get blamed for the team going one and done in the playoffs.
  2. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,493 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    If we win, it all Romo. If we lose, it's a team sport.:bow:

Seriously, if Romo keeps throwing the ball down the field, we win and the monkey will be off his back. If he plays it safe, pulls the ball down and waits for the horizontal stuff to open up, we'll lose.

I'm hoping for the down field early stuff.
  3. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    The interesting thing is I heard that for those those games the rest of the team is actually 5-1. :rolleyes:
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,048 Likes Received
    lol

You know in the press and for many here it is the EXACT opposite of that.
  5. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,415 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    That's not being real. Reality says at least one team since 2005 that played in the wild card round made it to the Super Bowl except in 2009. Those teams include two 10-6 teams (10 Packers, 07 Giants) and two 9-7 teams(08 Cards and 11 Giants). Three of those teams won the Super Bowl and the other darn near did. The Cowboys do have a chance if they get into the playoffs.
  6. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received

That is being real. If this team were to go to the Super Bowl it won't be because Romo and the offese was perfect in every game, great protection and a running game and outscored everyone. It will be because Connor, Sims and Albright stepped up an played really well up the middle and McCray and whoever else playing safety got a clue
  7. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    This is the big number. This is why he is labeled as such. He Needs this win.
  8. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,751 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    Go back the last couple of weeks and see how many passes he completed "within" the pocket compared to "outside" the pocket. He's at his best outside the pocket and a lot of plays are designed to get him outside of it. Some of this is to get him away from pressure because he's at his least effective avoiding pressure up the middle. Six of Romo's 9 TD's vs the Giants the last 2 seasons have come outside the pocket including 2 of his 3 TD's in week one.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=819302-cowboys-tony-romo-effective-outside-the-pocket-against-nyg

Over the last 2 seasons he's thrown 12 TD passes outside the pocket at least at the time this article came out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4697139/next-level-inside-the-numbers-for-cowboys
  9. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,579 Messages
    273 Likes Received

The back to back 2009 games were not win or go home. The season finale was who would be division winner and who would be wildcard. Obviously the playoff game was win or go home.
  10. aikemirv

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I don't know what you are watching. Garrett does not design many plays at all to get Romo out of the pocket. The reason he throws so many outside the pocket is because he is forced to move out, not by design. You are a bit crazy I think. Romo escapes pressure as good, if not better than anyone and when a play breaks down, like so many do with our oline, Romo is outside the pocket thus a lot of TD's outside the pocket.

TD's against the Giants outside the pocket, well duh, the giants manhandle our oline.

Use some common sense!
  11. KJJ

10,751 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    Romo isn't "excellent" within the pocket he's excellent outside the pocket and the number of TD's he's thrown outside the pocket support it. There may not be a QB in the league better outside the pocket than Romo. He has a tendency to bail early and improvise that's when he's at his best. The best plays of his career have come outside the pocket. His ability to make plays outside the pocket is what has so many Cowboy FANS enamored with him. Naturally some of the reason he bails is due to the lack of protection he gets at times but even when he has a clean pocket he'll still likes moving outside and improvising. Romo isn't a runner he darts around slipping defenders looking to throw but eventually age does rob a QB of their quickness and ability to avoid defenders.

You mentioned Peyton Manning but he's a pocket passer who could play until he's 40 if he stays healthy. He stands tall in the pocket his best plays come from within the pocket. Romo could play until he's 35 and beyond depending on his health and his ability to continue improvising as effectively as he does. Romo has been taking a lot of hits the past 2 seasons so his longevity and effectiveness will depend on how his body holds up.

According to ESPN there were only 2 TD passes thrown outside the pocket in week one and both came from Romo to Kevin Ogletree. There may not be a QB in the league that throws more TD's outside the pocket than Romo. He would certainly be one of the leaders in that category.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/...erback-tony-romo-is-great-outside-the-pocket/
  12. aikemirv

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Keep ignoring the obvious, youre doing that very well!
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,048 Likes Received
    Danny White went into some of this in detail yesterday in Dallas.

He mentioned (as you did) how, due to the lack of protection early on, Romo (for excusable reasons) was sometimes bailing out of the pocket more quickly than he needed too.
    Not that he prefers to be out the pocket but that he knows he can succeed outside the pocket vs potentially missing some time (with, say, a broken collar bone or a punctured lung...lol) if he stays in there too long.

White then went on to say one of the big differences recently is that Romo appears to have just enough confidence in the line that he is staying in the pocket and setting his feet more often.

White says ( i think he differs from you here) that Romo is beyond deadly if he has any kind of time at all to set his feet and survey the field. So although he can excell outside the pocket, he is outstanding in the pocket.

Comparing him to Peyton in the pocket is a bit much though. Brady and Peyton are just flat out sick pocket passers. Romo is very good but not at that level.
  14. KJJ

10,751 Messages
    848 Likes Received

You claimed Romo rarely has a pocket making it appear that's the only reason he bails and gets outside. Watch the games he's at his best outside the pocket that's why improvises so much. The links I posted point out how good he is outside the pocket. His skill set is such that he's at his most effective outside the pocket that's why so many of his TD's come from outside. He could have Aikman's OL from the 90's and he would still improvise outside the pocket because he's not and never has been a great pocket passer. Romo is a playmaker who creates plays.
  15. KJJ

10,751 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    I don't know what games you're watching because Romo moves outside the pocket regularly that's where he's most effective. Some of the plays are designed to get him outside the pocket when there's been protection issues and other times Romo improvises. His improvisational skills are what makes him so effective he's one of the best in the league at improvising.

I use common sense but from my discussions with you in the other thread about Romo you clearly don't. You honestly believe if Romo had a clean pocket all day he would be a better QB staying there making plays within the pocket?
  16. aikemirv

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I think he is great outside the pocket, but that is not the PLAN.

Look at his passer rating the past 2 games, some of the best protection he has had all year.

All of his 4 TD's were in the pocket on Sunday!

I believe the 2 in Pittsburg were inside the pocket as well.

When he has a pocket he stays there and is very effective, it was like taking candy from a baby he was so comfortable versus Pittsburgh!
  17. KJJ

10,751 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    Some of the worst plays Romo has made (the head scratchers) have come within the pocket when he's had plenty of time to throw. If you compile a highlight reel of Romo's greatest plays most if not all will be him improvising outside the pocket. He made a play a few years ago vs the Giants where he ducked a defender avoiding what appeared to be a certain sack and threw a TD. It's those great plays that have so many FANS thinking Romo is an elite QB who's better than Eli.

Romo has been setting his feet more but when he doesn't see a receiver open quickly he'll bail and extend the play allowing a receiver to work their way open. He does this with Witten a lot by darting around allowing Witten to find a soft spot. Moving outside also gives Romo some time to set his feet and throw. It's all about moving away from the pressure. Romo doesn't have a gun for an arm and the best pocket passers "usually" have strong arms. Romo isn't able to drop back and step up into the pocket very often due to pressure up the middle which is almost impossible for any QB to avoid.

Up the middle pressure has led to most of his sacks. He can slip edge rushers but up the middle pressure is certain doom and this causes him to bail quick to give himself a chance to make a play outside. He knows once he gets outside he'll be able to maneuver around and extend a play.
  18. KJJ

10,751 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    He is great outside the pocket so you think the PLAN is to keep him in the pocket? Why would you want to keep him in the pocket when he's so great outside the pocket? I can assure you Garrett doesn't enter a game with a PLAN to keep Romo in the pocket all day. He knows the skill set and instincts Romo has and allows him to improvise. Romo wouldn't be the QB he is if he were limited to being a pocket passer. It's the opponents plan to keep Romo in the pocket by pressuring him up the middle. They know once he gets outside he'll make a play. Anytime you're trying to defense a playmaker like Romo the plan is to try and keep them from extending plays. Most of Romo's plays come from outside the pocket.

Some of the worst games Romo has had is when he's gotten pressure up the middle and hasn't been able to get outside. He gets hemmed in and goes down or tries to force a throw. When he's able to get outside it gives him the freedom to slip and spin away from defenders allowing receivers to get open. Romo routinely will make a defender miss giving him time to set his feet and throw.

His protection has been good but most of his plays are still coming from outside the pocket. His passer ratings are what they are because of his ability to make plays outside the pocket. The better protection hasn't kept him from wanting to improvise. Improvising is a huge part of his game. Even when he's had time he doesn't always see a receiver open so to avoid being hemmed in he'll move outside. His instincts are so good he can stay alive while his receivers have time to work their way open.

Let me make it clear no one is saying he doesn't throw TD's from within the pocket but most of his "plays" come from outside the pocket. Sometimes he'll throw TD's within the pocket after first moving outside the pocket. He occasionally moves outside the pocket then moves back in. He dances around a lot trying to keep a play alive. A lot of the plays he creates that aren't TD's are from outside the pocket.

He doesn't always stay there when he has a pocket if he doesn't see a receiver open he'll move outside the pocket to give himself more time to survey. Watch the games! Over his "career" most of his plays have come outside the pocket. That's my point.
  19. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,858 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    :facepalm: ESPN just said Romo has zero wins in week 17 must wins...this immediately after saying he won in week 17 against the Eagles in '09. Good gravy...
  20. aikemirv

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    The basic rule for my mental well-being is "do not watch ESPN or NFL network when they are talking about the Cowboys"

It has served me well!

I hardley watch any pregame anymore, it is just irritating. I only watch after Cowboy wins to see them eat some crow. I hope that Sunday night I will be watching highlights over and over again until 1:00am or so to come off my high rather than tossing and turning in my bed after a couple of benydrls!