1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo better than Elway

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by galebedeker, Mar 29, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    As soon as you explain top college recruit in the country, top pick in the NFL draft, 300 career TDs when they actually played defense, 22 playoff appearances 13 wins, five SB appearances two wins, won league MVP, won SB MVP, 35 4th quarter comebacks, first ballot HOF. Pretty crappy resume huh?
  2. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,138 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    He won't explain it because he cant. for this thread to even still be up is a joke.Romo is not even in the same universe as Elway.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,897 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    Everything is evident but he has a point about Elway not living up to expectations early on. It was actually worse than that. But Tony doesn't have Elway's arm much less the resume. He does have other attributes that Elway doesn't.

The acid test is put them on the same team at year four of their careers as starters on another team and pick who starts. My guess is most would pick Elway. Now if he threw several picks my guess is Romo would come off the bench.
  4. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    /Endthread
  6. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,888 Messages
    2,056 Likes Received
    Jerry will get his chapter, and when Tony wins a Super Bowl Jerry will get credit for sticking with him.
  7. venky

venky Active Member

439 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Nah bro, Romo is still better!!! ;)
  8. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,400 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Dude, youre two days early for April fools day.
  9. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,196 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Tony Romo doesn't have the mental capacity to compete at the highest level of the sport.

I don't care what you put around him, that fact will never change.

At some point(especially now since teams are so close) your QB has to make a play in high pressure situations, do you really think Romo is capable of doing that?And if so, what do you base it on?

As I think about it, I'll give Romo some slack.I don't believe in him, but I just thought about the fact that Dez Bryant couldn't even shake coverage from DeAngelo Hall in that last game.

And we all know that Miles Austin useless.Witten ain't running past nobody.

Anybody else thinking we need a Wr in round one?If we really want to make this thing Romo friendly, maybe we should!Lord knows the Cowboys need to improve their scoring offense!
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,584 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    I don't play with unprovable hypotheticals. If it makes you feel better to assume your suppositions are correct then go for it. I prefer empirical proof.
  11. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,482 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received
    :clubbed:

Last time I looked, Romo was QB of America's team. Did they all of a sudden move to NCAA?

Not only is he competing, but he has some records and stats to show for it. Mind you, most of his career is without a competent offensive line and a mediocre defense.

It can not be disputed he has only one playoff win. Scratch that, the Dallas Cowboys have only one playoff win in 17 years. This is still a team sport right? Has he choked in a few situations? Yes, but so has every other NFL QB!

It is time to let go of your hatred for Romo, he is our quarterback and deserves to be supported from us fans. If you can't do that, I think there is room on the Seahawks bandwagon.
  12. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,490 Messages
    193 Likes Received

Romo's 7 years as a starter: 91 ints.
    Elways first 7 years: 114 ints.
    Elways last 7 years: 86 ints. (this was when he was playing the best football of his career)

I don't want to hear anything about the NFL being more of a passing league now when Elway threw for 3000+ 12 of his 15 years. In fact Romo averages 462 passing attempts a year. Elway averaged 482 attempts. Not only does that argument hold zero weight, it is flat out wrong. Elway actually passed more than Romo does on average.

Elway had 35 4th quarter comebacks in 15 years. Or 2.3 a year.
    Romo has 18 4th quarter comebacks in 7 years. Or 2.5 a year.

Romo completed 60% of his passes 7/7
    Elway completed 60% of his passes 3/15

Romo averages: 3676 yards, 25 tds/13 ints a year (more yards, more tds, less Ints, less attempts)
    Elway averaged: 3431 yards, 20 ts/15 ints a year.

Obviously the big difference is post-season success. But regular season, Romo is playing at a much better pace than John did.
  13. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,196 Messages
    473 Likes Received

playoffs is what i meant as highest level of the sport
  14. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    DUMBEST THREAD OF THE YEAR!
  15. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Whether you want to hear about it or not, it is an absolute fact. It is way easier for QBs to have success throwing the ball now than in Elway's day, WAY easier. The QBs can't even be touched now, WRs can't be touched now.

Ridiculous.
  16. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

958 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    For those of you (Super Kazuya, Muhast) that want to compare statistics between Romo and Elway, consider the top 11 passing yardage seasons and look at what year that most of them came in...

1. Drew Brees 5,476 2011 NOR
    2. Tom Brady 5,235 2011 NWE
    3. Drew Brees 5,177 2012 NOR
    4. Dan Marino 5,084 1984 MIA
    5. Drew Brees 5,069 2008 NOR
    6. Matthew Stafford 5,038 2011 DET
    7. Matthew Stafford 4,967 2012 DET
    8. Eli Manning 4,933 2011 NYG
    9. Tony Romo 4,903 2012 DAL
    10. Kurt Warner 4,830 2001 STL
    11. Tom Brady 4,827 2012 NE

Now the anomalies here are Marino and Warner, but Warner's came somewhat recently. Every other one has come within the last 5 years. I added the 11th spot just to show that the trend of all time passing seasons continues with recent seasons. There's no way you can compare statistics between Elway's days and today; especially considering that yardage records are being broken every season.
  17. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,985 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I was watching Elways replays the other night by accident and I couldn't believe the arm and grit to get into the end zone.

??????

I'm almost scared to see Tony go in there like that after seeing him and his humbly georgous wife and beautiful child walking off while saying "bye" to everyone in the building.

Man..... What nice people. He's got to go to war like that?

He has a championship off the field for himself if you ask me.

If he does it, it's for everyone but himself.....
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,584 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    That's not a 'fact.' There is no objective way to define what is being asked much less that it is a fact.

The Mel Blount rule was put in in the late 1970s. I don't think it's a coincidence that Montana, Marino, Elway, Moon, Kelly, et al came out of the woodwork in the early 1980s.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Good post, OP. Don't let the majority get you down or you won't last around here.
  20. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    [IMG]