1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Romo Holds Himself Accountable

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Doomsday101, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,291 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – Quarterback Tony Romo knows multiple factors are involved on an interception. He also knows he’s ultimately the one who must be accountable.

A furious second-half comeback attempt fell just short last weekend after Romo recorded his second game this season with at least four interceptions, bringing his total to a league-leading 13 picks this season. No other quarterback has more than 10.

“Ultimately, all interceptions fall on the guy who lets go of the ball,” Romo said. “It’s on your record. It’s there for everyone to see. You understand that. I also understand that you can make a really good play and it can turn out poorly. That’s part of playing the position. That’s part of playing the game.”

Romo acknowledged the significance of turnovers in a game, but he knows he can’t be gun shy, either. He said if he begins to hold the ball and double- or triple-check his routes, rather than letting his receivers make a play, the team has got no chance.

The trick is finding the balance between playing smart football and trusting that what happens after the ball leaves his hands will go as it should. Of course, he knows who shoulders the blame when passes go awry.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...urnovers/b48bfa96-2315-4b60-8cdc-ad0605ca1aa3
  2. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And I have no doubt whatsoever in his effort, desire, or ability to do more.

As it is, I feel like a lot of his problems simply come from him trying to do so much.
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    tony needs to understand that this is a team. Relax. I rather dink and dunk our way down field than going for the big play and romo throwing picks. We need to simplify the offense. We have too many option routes. Our offense has downgraded from last season. Big time.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    That's true sometimes.
    I know the plays where he's scrambling and tries to do something nuts (like the fumble/int shovel play vs Chicago). I can't think of any last game where he did that though. Maybe the 4th down int/punt play.
    One reason Aaron Rodgers has so many sacks is becasue when in doubt he just goes down to live for the next play. It makes his sack numbers look higher than maybe they should be (and does not at all reflect his protection) but it keeps those ints way down.
  5. FLCowboyFan

FLCowboyFan Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.

2,279 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    If Romo did that behind our line he would be sacked 30 times a game :lmao2:
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    And we need to throw A LOT more play action passes (even when our running game is going bad). We're last in the league in PA Pass attempts despite the fact that we've had success when we do it.

Hell, if we do it enough maybe safeties will be reluctant to charge up to stop the run cuz they'll be expecting PA Pass.
  7. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Unless I see a change on the field it is just lip service. We get to much of that from the fake GM, to the overmatched coach, to his unaccountable teammates.
  8. Doomsday101

77,291 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    OL has not been playing bad the last few outings. They are not going to dominate a DL like NY few OL will. Given how the OL started the season and how they have been playing as of late I think they are showing some very good progress.
  9. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah we sure run the ball well. Oh wait no we don't!
  10. Doomsday101

77,291 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    Run blocking has to improve no question about it. Pass blocking, blitz picks ups looking a lot better. Early on it looked like a jail break now guys are making the right pickups and doing much better in protection.

Don't confuse getting better with being dominate, run blocking is something they need to continue to work on and I have no doubt Callahan will get improvement out of them.
  11. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,603 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Finally!!!

“If you’re playing quarterback in the National Football League, you’re judged off wins and losses, period,” Romo said. “I know, after a game that we lose, I’m always holding myself extremely accountable and responsible, no matter what happens. That’s part of playing the position.”

There is hope once again!!!

“No matter what anyone says, it eats at you,” Romo said. “No one thinks about the game or grinds over plays more than me. In a lot of ways, that’s the thing that’s hard because just how much it consumes your thoughts throughout the day after football games. And that’s even when you win, sometimes.”

Ok I have a new respect for the guy....
  12. Doomsday101

77,291 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    I don't see that as a change for Romo. He does hold himself responsible that is not new.
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Being accountable is fine but doing something about is a different story.
  14. Doomsday101

77,291 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    No doubt. He has to manage the ball better but he has to do it without going into a shell. I want to see the team as a whole cut down on negitive plays and turnovers but I don't want them getting to a point where they are more concerned about that than they are making plays.
  15. CowboyFan74

12,603 Messages
    538 Likes Received

Oh rly? When has he ever came fwd and owned his picks? Usually its "WE" did this wrong, "We" didn't do that right, or its on "US" to get it right....
  16. Doomsday101

77,291 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    He uses we win or lose, Sorry I have never seen him not own up to mistakes. He never runs around talking how he won the game it is always we, and when we lose it is We. Hate to tell you this is a team sport it is all about We
  17. CowboyFan74

12,603 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    See sig....:laugh2:
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,637 Messages
    6,402 Likes Received
    If this particular quote lets you come out of the cave, we're happy to have you. But, yeah, I don't see this as unusual for Tony, at all.

He made a conscious point of using a lot of the 'we' stuff, referring to himself as if he were a coach, etc, going back to 2009 when we were at the peak of all the silly 'he's not a leader of this team' criticism. I think that's where a lot of the collective references and the shared blame come from. Getting in line with Garrett's message. But Tony's always been one to take his medicine. And the stories of him inconsolable on the plane home from SEA and for days afterward that Witten used to reference are a pretty good indication of how hard Romo takes his mistakes that lead to losses.
  19. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,883 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    He's been saying this same thing for a long time.

Hoping one day his words kick in.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,637 Messages
    6,402 Likes Received
    You think he's insincere? That he doesn't make a point of trying to cut down on the turnovers? Or are you just venting some more frustration because a thread about the QB taking responsibility for protecting the ball seems like a good place to do it?