1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo is a top 10 QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rkell87, Jan 2, 2013.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    10th in QB rating

4th in completion %

3rd in yards

3rd in yards per game

6th in TDs

2nd in completions

and btw he tied drew brees for ints

who you gonna get that is gonna take this team any farther? Bet you can't answer that legitimately.
  2. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,262 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Yawn...whatever!
  3. Stinger_Splash

Stinger_Splash Active Member

427 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    And 0 in guts in the big games.
  4. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    He will never be considered a great QB by some until he carries his pitiful and overmatched offensive coordinator / play caller all the way to the SB. The fact that he carried Garrett most of the season is not good enough. He has to do it every game for some to be happy.
  5. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,704 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Ahh that's not a answer.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    I would have said top 5 even without the stats, but the stats suggest it anyways :laugh2:

Tony makes some bad decisions, but make no mistake about it, this team doesn't win 5 games without him at the helm.
  7. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

869 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    of the problem. We need to go 0x16 for two years to dump contracts & over 30 players & idiot coaches so that we can do a complete rebuild of this team and it's design. Romo needs to be traded along with Witten, Ratliff, Ware, & anyone else sniffing 30. Two years in the dumper might put us in a position to draft a true franchise QB and a line that can protect him while opening holes for a true running game. Until then, 8 & 8 seems to be out destiny.
  8. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,294 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Tony Romo is a damn good QB and I'm happy we have him. I remember the days of QC, Hutch, Stoerner, Wright, Vinny, Bledsoe, Henson, Leaf and Brad Johnson (did I forget anyone)?

When's the last time we saw our D win a game other than the Steelers? We've relied on Romo to overcome this team's shortcomings every single game with little exception. That's a huge task week in and week out.

Having said that, there's no arguing that Romo played poorly against the Skins. He's going to have to get over that hurdle and I don't envy the pressure he'll be under again next season. He's cost us games and we can live with some of those risks during the season but not when the playoffs are on the line. Great QB's make their bones in the playoffs and in games when it's all on the line and, quite honestly, Romo hasn't done that YET. But QB's done fall off trees and unfortunately this fan base won't appreciate what Romo brought to the table until he's gone.
  9. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

869 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    to find greener pastures... Let Orton hold the fort for two years while we rebuild the rest of the team and find a real QB to lead us for the next decade. Romo will never win a SB in my opinion and spending 70mil on a player we already know well is just stupid like most of the other Jones deals with old players.
  10. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,636 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    Someone who doesn't tie for this and someone who doesn't give away his teams chances of making the playoffs winning games early in the season so you don't have to come down to the last game of the season.
  11. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    But the bottom line is that he is not in the playoffs.

Yards is a terrible stat to use. That is because you are losing most of the time.
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,502 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    the team did win 5 games without him at the helm, 2010 when JG went 5-3 the 2nd half.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    No pressure, new coach, soft schedule.

Kitna was serviceable, but Romo was great that year until he got hurt, just couldn't catch a break.
  14. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    More like top 5.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    Tim Tebow. According to some, HE JUST WINZ D GAMEZ!
  16. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I think if Romo played for another franchise this forum would make a mockery of him more often than not.

I also think that if you constantly have to make an argument that Romo, or any other QB, is a top ten QB you might have to reassess your thought process. If a QB is truly great you shouldn't have to constantly reinforce your opinions.

Craig
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,117 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    I am not sold on dumping Romo, but with that said:

He tied for the league lead in interceptions as well, and the guy he tied with threw fifteen more TD's.

He must do better next year. No excuses. Rodgers was sacked twice as much and threw eight picks. We know he isn't Rodgers, but if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath, he needs to cut down his turnovers.
  18. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His stats are great nobody has ever denied that.

The problem is that he's shown time and time again, he struggles with his confidence. He can play great and all of a sudden flip the switch and throw 5 picks and 5 more that should of been picks. I don't recall seing anything like it, he gets into this mode where he just is not going to do well.

That's why I think that even if we surround him with a better team. He might get into th playoffs, and we might win one or two in the playoffs, but how long before the pressure builds up in him and he flips the switch?.

I'm willing to ride it out with Romo just because I've always liked him. . But I would let him play out his contract, I would not extend him yet. And please some how we need to start looking at the future. Romo is 33 years old, it's long over due.
  19. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Top 10 when it doesn't matter and where it doesn't matter.

Not even an honorable mention when and where it matters
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    I've been saying that Romo is a top-10 QB for a while. He's just not elite. There's a difference.

There's nothing wrong with that either. When I talk about 'elite', I say a top-4 QB in the league. I think Peyton and Brady are locks. After that, I would probably go with Brees and Rodgers. But, think about who that leaves out:

Roethlisberger (2 SB victories)
    Schaub
    RG3
    Eli (2 SB victories)
    Matt Ryan
    Stafford (threw for a gazillion yards this season)

Because Romo is not elite, he needs a fair amount of help. He needs to have a running game and a defense that can win some games for him. Or a running game that can close out games for him and make him more effective when he passes.

Romo has to do better in some areas.

He has a tendency early in the year to blow some games with careless play. If our RT stinks, he's going to struggle. And guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers can do just fine without a running game and 'shoot it out' with the best of them.

But, there's only 4 of those elite QB's in the game. And they have spanned the draft over the past 15 years. Furthermore, QB's that are not elite like Roethlisberger and Eli have more Super Bowl victories than any of them not named Tom Brady (who also had SpyGate working in his favor).

As fans, I think we could save ourselves the sanity of accepting the fact that Romo is not an elite QB. We need some things to help protect against his weaknesses, just like Eli and Roethlisberger have received. If we can do that, I get the feeling that those 'chokes' will disappear.

YR