1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo is a top 10 QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rkell87, Jan 2, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,730 Messages
    2,899 Likes Received
    Romo, Brees, Roethisberger were all top 10 QB this year.

The Saints couldn't stop the pass, the Steelers couldn't run the ball, and the Cowboys couldn't do either one.
  2. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,233 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Where does he rank in points scored per game the last 5 seasons?

A QB job is to score points and win games - Troy Aikman

#notop10forantonio
  3. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Member

247 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Eli had a terrible year this year, and the Giants should be ashamed of themselves. They have NO ONE to blame but themselves.

Romo is in the same shoes.

I said it all along he is a very good QB, but he will never amount to much past 16 games as long as he is in Dallas, I don't know why, it is what it is. Stats are just that, stats, they don't bring trophies. He cannot handle pressure, it's a proven fact. You guys have to face the facts, as long as he is in Dallas, you will more than likely never get to the SB, let alone a championship game, your last game showed that in the 4th quarter. I was hoping he would have won that game, I rooted for your guys, but when he threw those int's...I was sick and said.....it's Romo, can't run with the best of them. I hate the Washington fans with their elation of RG3, my God, it's sickening how they worship that guy.
  4. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Washington is running an offence that can be stopped with a good front seven. I don't care how good Morris has been running, you are going to have to complete more than 100 yds to advance past the divisional round. Seattle has some fast linebackers and a competent line their season might end this weekend. As much as I hate Seattle they are playing some good ball right now.
  5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Member

247 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Wilson is playing as good as any rookie, and their defense is above average, you might be correct, RG3 could be one and done.....you mouth to God's ears.
  6. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Most of the high stats for Romo come from his driving the ball down the field quite frequently then unable to finish the job. A FG or no points at all. So he accumulated some great stats on the drive with very little if any results team wise. A majority of his TDs were just gunslinging away when we were down by 10-20 points. Yes Romo was the reason we won a number of games but he was also the reason we lost a number of games. Yes he put up great stats but still our record was only 8-8. Romo is just not a finisher on a consistent basis, never has been never will be. You live by the gun and you die by the gun.

Do not extend Romo. Our next QB is Blake Bortles at UCF--6-4, 221. Great arm and ran for 8 TDs. He will be coming out in next years draft-2014.
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,706 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    Two back-to-back great posts. The first from Yazuka Rich. The second above.

Well-done, gentlemen. :)
  8. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,171 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Top ten QB in stats that for whatever reason are not translating into wins. I'd gladly trade Romo and all his stats in for a QB with lessor stats and some playoff wins.
  9. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,747 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    Yes numbers scream the 10th rated is a 'franchise QB'.:rolleyes:

Stafford threw for 5000 yards and 40 TDs last year and almost 5000 this year but yes let's conveniently ignore those.:rolleyes:

Get this through your head: Romo is not a franchise qb as of this current date just because he has numbers. You completely missed the point but that's ok i'm bringing it back for you.
  10. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,296 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    Such as...?
  11. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,706 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    I think you guys are missing the point.

Yes, the Cowboys aren't a very good team. But what does that have to do with missing a receiver on a blitz? Good quarterbacks routinely make such plays in the face of a blitz. Aaron Rodgers practically dared the Vikings to blitz this weekend.
    And what about air mailing a "punt" to the Redskins on 2nd and 5 at the Redskins 49 yard line? That has nothing to do with the defense or the running game. Romo had time to eat lunch in the back field, and he just chucks it up for an interception.
    And we won't talk about the third interception.

So it's not just the fact that Romo doesn't have a good team. It's the fact that he doesn't make good decisions in those moments when it's not someone else's screw-up.
  12. percyhoward

8,730 Messages
    2,899 Likes Received
    Passer rating takes that into account.

You've got your answer, plain and simple. Stafford was the 22nd most efficient QB in the league in 2012, that's why he didn't go to the Pro Bowl.
  13. percyhoward

8,730 Messages
    2,899 Likes Received
    So you think teams that have QB with lesser stats have playoff wins because of their QB?
  14. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,742 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Take us where? Not to the playoffs? We can have Matt Casell or any other bum out there do that.

This has been beaten to death. We get it. He has nice numbers. But that's all they are. Numbers. And empty numbers to be more precise. They have gotten us nothing. He has proven season after season when the lights get the biggest and brightest and we need him at his best, he fails. Constantly.

And it's not even just his interceptions that kills us. It's his inaccuracy. Missing open targets way too often and a lot of the times, the ball isn't even close.
  15. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,747 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    OK bottom line is Romo isn't a franchise qb.
  16. percyhoward

8,730 Messages
    2,899 Likes Received
    Explain how a QB who was ranked 25th and 32th the last two seasons is going to take a team to the playoffs, that a QB who was ranked 4th and 10th could not.
  17. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,367 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    The Stat King! Timmy Chang of the NFL :laugh2:
  18. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    There is only two ways to win a championship. A QB that puts up big numbers and gets things done in the clutch (Rogers) or a QB with a solid team around him that does just enough to get you a first down through the air sometimes but depends on a stellar defence and a running game to get the heat off him (Eli Manning or Rothlesberger).

Romo needs a running game and he would be very effective. Trying to ask him to do it himself won't get it done. I look at Romo like I look at Dan Fouts. A QB thats good enough to put up numbers and win some games but is a heart breaker come crunch time. If those late 70's/early 80's San Diego teams had somewhat of a defence and a halfway decent running game they would have won the big one.
  19. percyhoward

8,730 Messages
    2,899 Likes Received
    There are only eight QB with more consecutive seasons than Romo among the top 10 rated passers:

13 Montana (1980-90, 93-94)
    13 Manning (1999-2010, 2012)
    11 Brady (2001-07, 09-12)
    8 Dawson (1964-68, 70-72)
    8 Fouts (1978-85)
    8 Young (1991-98)
    7 Graham (1949-55)
    7 Griese (1970-71, 73-74, 76-78)

Fouts is the only one who was never on a championship team.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    In other words.
    Odds are FAR greater if you have a QB that puts up good stats year after year that you will win a SB than having a QB that does not do that.