1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo is a top 10 QB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rkell87, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,675 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    BS. Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Warner with Arizona, Brees didn't need much of running game to be successful. You people are coming up with every excuse in the book for Romo right now. He needs a running game, he needs an oline, he needs a defense, he needs this he needs a punter that kicks it inside the 10, he needs that, he needs a everything freaking handed to him on a silver platter to not screwup. Got it.
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,410 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    That, and there just aren't that many QB who turn in that kind of performance on a yearly basis. There only 12 in the history of the NFL besides Romo.
  3. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,409 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    because a running game made him throw 3 awful passes last week

he needs to go.
  4. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You're absolutely right. Romo isn't those guys, that much we know.

Romo's a damn good quarterback but my biggest beef with him is, he doesn't know how to be a bus driver. When he's good, he's good. And when he is bad, he is bad.
  5. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

623 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Honestly and with all due respect. I'm soooo tired of ratings for QB's. You hear "top 10" or "top 5" or the word "elite" and anyone can find a set of statistics between a certain # of games or years to justify their arguement but IMHO that does not mean squat. To me a QB's success is measured in Super Bowls. It's not a scientific approach because there are teams that ride to the dance on their defense requiring a QB just to manage the game to win. If your going to rate QB's, it's what they have done in their tenure to consistently make an offense effective beyond the regular season.
    That said, it's all a matter of opinion and you really have to watch the games. If a team rides a good QB to a 13-3 record and falls apart in the playoffs, 13-3 doesnt mean squat as does the QB.
    I guess that's all I have to say about that.
    Forrest Gump
  6. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I disagree.

Rodgers when he won a couple years ago had an opportunistic defence that was getting turnovers at a high rate. Brady hasn't won nothing since their defence was dismantled after their Super Bowl run. That Peyton Manning Colts team was playing sound defence that year and were ranked inside the top 5.

The only two on that list maybe Kurt Warner in Arizona and Drew Brees but they still lost due to a choke on defence. Drew Brees is the only one and if I remember right they led the league in the turnover ratio that year.
  7. percyhoward

8,410 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    Whether you're tired of it or not, if passer ratings didn't mean squat, there wouldn't be such a high correlation between passer rating differential and championship seasons.
  8. percyhoward

8,410 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    Saints were #1 in passer rating differential the year they won the Super Bowl. Packers were #1 the following year, when they won the Super Bowl. They're also #1 this year.

This year, Dallas was 9th offensively, but 29th defensively, so the differential put them at 18th.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    And that correlation is enormous.
  10. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I have to agree with many on here. Who cares at this point? We could have Tom Brady on this team and its not winning any championships. This team isnt going anywhere until it fixes some big issues. So who the QB is or how well he plays when is irrelevant at this point.
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,678 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    This makes sense.

I read somewhere that the passing rate differential was the single best indicator of Super Bowl winning teams over the past 25 years or so.
  12. percyhoward

8,410 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    People look at Romo's six consecutive top 10 seasons in passer rating and conclude that it's an empty stat because we haven't won anything.

They aren't looking at the other side of the stat.
  13. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Romo is A-Rod ... great regular seasons with fabulous stats ... but comes up empty in big games (Elimination games)
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    Romo has a had the oddity of having almost all of his "elimination" games on the road.
    If you look at all the great Qbs from the past, you'll find their records for road elimination games are pretty bad too.

I think Romo has had two home elimination games and is 1-1 in those.

I'm not excusing is crappy game this past weekend, just pointing out some facts.
  15. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,187 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    Romo-loyalty: The ability to see stats as the end all and to put one player above an entire team.
  16. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

723 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Pretty much all the advanced QB stats say he had an avg. season at best.

But it's not about stats with Romo. Sure, would I rather have him over half the leagues QBs? Yeah, thing is there is alot of crappy QBs or at least young ones out there.

Again, it's not about stats. Romo came up lame when we needed him most. That is all that matters.
  17. percyhoward

8,410 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    The passing game was head-and-shoulders above the rest of the team.

Again.
  18. TwoDeep3

6,187 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    The fact you leave out is that Romo and company did not win enough games to play a home game and avoid this dreaded elimination road game.

Ergo, he still has a problem.

There is this thing that runs around the internet about players that have the most come backs for wins. Roger Staubach is one that did this a lot. Elways comes to mind.

But in each case of great comeback players, they also were the starting quarterbacks that got behind in the game in the first place.

I happened to have seen most of Staubach's games. And I can tell you his performance in the first three quarters was one of the reasons they were behind.

Not saying he was bad. But those teams had a habit of getting behind by playing half-***** football.

Charlie Water's comment that you just gotta believe really meant, you just gotta believe Roger is going to get tired of this losing crap and pull it out himself. Or chew enough butts in the huddle to get people's minds right.

I like Romo and think he can have a future here.

But tossing out stats as if that exempts him from his piss poor play is ridiculous.
  19. TwoDeep3

6,187 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    Until the passer threw three picks in the win or go home game.

If you leave that part off you are being disingenuous.
  20. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Awesome quote. Helps to explain the blind following...