1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Romo lovers & Haters, come clean!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Clove, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,195 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    The definition of "elimination game" is pathetically simple: if you lose, your season's over. If you win, your season continues. That's it.

It doesn't require both teams to be in that situation. It doesn't have anything to do with tie rules or seeding or anything else.

Individual QBs/teams "elimination game" records only require that that team be in the situation of knowing that their season ends if they lose. What happens to the opponent's season is one million percent irrelevant.

So in Cowboys elimination games where Romo was the QB, the record is 1-6.
  2. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how you got that I said you did. I just said that I didn't know, implying that it would require significant research beyond just looking at a player profile page. And apparently, you didn't do the research either since you said "off he top of my head". Manning played in no such game in 2008. This is why I was skeptical if your list truly encompassed "elimination games". That requires research.
  3. Super_Kazuya

1,603 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    This is all very confusing. Your definition flies in the face of KJJ, who I consider the resident expert on do or die/win or go home/elimination/when it matters most/when it's all on the line (lord knows he babbles about it enough). How can a made up concept have not one, but TWO made up definitions?
  4. Califan007

1,195 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    The Giants were 7-8 when they played the Skins on the road. They made the playoffs because they won. Had they lost, they would have ended up 7-9 and out of the playoffs.

Please tell me you understand that lol..."No such game"...jeebus.
  5. Califan007

1,195 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    It's not a made-up concept. It's a factual one.

Teams DO find themselves in situations where they have to win to continue their season. That's not made-up. The talking heads at ESPN, NFL Network, etc. talk about how Romo and the Cowboys tend to do when in those situations. That's not made-up, either.

Seriously, if semantics is the only argument you have to discredit Romo's "elimination game" record, you've already lost the debate.
  6. Super_Kazuya

1,603 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    There is no debate. It's a stupid, made up concept. Arbitrarily picking a game out of the regular season and trying to pretend like it has the same weight as a playoff game is ridiculous. At some point, EVERY team faces a point where if they don't win, their season ends. Sometimes it's in Week 9. Sometimes it's in Week 17. Pretending that the latter is some magical event is pure ESPN hype. You fell for the hype and never questioned it, you just accepted it even though there's not a shred of logic in trying to turn a regular season game into a playoff game. Like I said, it's a thinly veiled ploy to make our team and our team only look bad, and you a "fan", fell for it.

And so not to waste another post, that's 2006 you're talking about with the Giants, not 2008.
  7. Califan007

1,195 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Wow lol...I'm gonna let that comment stand on its own. Not sure there's anything I could say that would make it sound even dumber than it already does.

Not at all true. Not even close to being factually true.

Can you name even ONE example of a team's season no longer continuing after week 9 because they lost? lol...Now, "just off the top of my head", I can't remember a team only playing 9 games while the rest of the league kept playing...simply because they lost that 9th game.

Sweet on a cracker. And you say KJJ and ESPN makes up definitions to fit their agendas? lol....you could get a PhD in it.

Since even the most basic definition of "elimination game" seems to throw your thought process into a blender, I won't bother trying to define it in even more simplistic terms. Not to mention that I'm positive everyone else reading this thread already gets the concept and understands it.

Applying reading comprehension and basic logic is not the same as "falling for the hype". You're so far off on what an "elimination game" is that it's almost embarrassing. Almost ;).

Semantics and typos...at least you got those goin' for ya lol.
  8. Super_Kazuya

1,603 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    LOL. You supply the wrong year and expect me to know what you're talking about and it's a "typo". Whatever you say, genius. Keep on making up stuff. Maybe one day you and KJJ will agree on what an elimination game is. I look forward to seeing you sitting next to Stephen A. and explaining it to us all. It's hilarious that all you elimination game lovers can't even get your story straight. LOL.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,438 Messages
    1,908 Likes Received
    Hold it...come on KJJ...you don't think Crayton busted his route on that possible TD pass?

You must find that replay. It's very, very clear what he did there.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,997 Messages
    4,860 Likes Received
    Hey, now. We're all friends here guys. Well, except for the Redsk*ns fan, but they're sort of like pets around here and this one's one of my favorites because he never pees on our carpet.

Be pleasant to each other, ok? We can disagree, without being disagreeable, right?
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,997 Messages
    4,860 Likes Received
    I don't think he busted the route, either.

He did an interview with Irvin at the time where he said it wasn't a 9 route at all on that play. Basically, he got to the top of the route covered and then the play broke down. He hesitated when the CB went over the top on him, then saw Tony scrambling for his life back there and broke for the end zone. Tony saw what he should have done in the first place and threw the ball to the spot he's have been if he hadn't hesitated. It wasn't a blown route, it was the two players not being on the same page while extemporizing, and PC just wasn't quick enough.

Doesn't matter, though, still and incompletion. And he did have a clear drive-killing drop earlier in that game, as well as a ST bobble on a punt return, IIRC.
  12. Califan007

1,195 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    True, I have never peed on anyone's carpet!...:mad:

Well, by "never" I mean "in the last few months"...

That I know of.
  13. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Keep reading because there are several here that are putting all the blame on Romo.
  14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,532 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    My argument is that particular pass to Crayton was not a "dropped TD" like CowboyFan74 was claiming." It wasn't a busted route what was very, very clear was Crayton hesitated on the route throwing the timing off. Had he not hesitated he and Romo might have hooked up for the score.
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Can you point out the ones who are putting all the blame on Romo? I see plenty of people that criticise Romo but none that give him all the blame for our team problems.
  16. KJJ

10,532 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    I know you're including me in that group but sorry you're wrong I've made it very clear I'm not putting all the blame on him but some choose to have their own interpretation no matter what posters say here.
  17. KJJ

10,532 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    So you're still crediting me for making up the term "elimination game" I'm flattered but that term and the definition was around before I used it. You and a few other FANS hate that those 3 regular season finales are being included along with Romo's playoff record because it add's more losses and makes him and the team look worse. If the Cowboys and Romo were 6-1 instead of 1-6 in elimination games you and the rest who pull your hair out over these games being added wouldn't be making an issue over them would you? :cool:

Those 3 regular season finales were exactly like playoff games win and you move on to play next week lose and your season is over. Each team faced the exact same fate. In 08 a wilcard birth was on the line for both the Cowboys and Philly. The winner moved on and the loser stayed home. In 2011 the NFC East and a playoff birth was on the line for the both the Cowboys and Giants. The game was do or die for both teams. In 2012 the NFC East and a playoff birth was once again on the line this time for the Cowboys and Redskins.

To my knowledge no other 2 teams in the same division or conference the past 2 seasons were playing each other for a playoff birth entering the season finale. It's a scenario that doesn't happen very often and it's exciting when it does because it's like a playoff game. The Cowboys and Redskins game last Dec was flexed to Primetime because the game had a lot riding on it. It's these type of games that QB's are judged by and Romo's performances in these games aren't close to the performances we see from him through most of the regular season in less critical games. This has put a negative light on him.

Everyone of his stats from yards to TD's to his completion percentage to his passer rating are all way down in these games compared to his regular season average. It's this negative trend he's had in do or die games that has so many taking notice and scratching their head. The number of turnovers Romo has in these games is troubling and has many questioning his ability to perform under pressure. Once he suffers a turnover in these games he loses his poise and the mistakes start to pile up. You and a few other FANS may not like having these extra 3 games added to his playoff like record but if the Cowboys would make the playoffs more often under Romo and have some success they wouldn't be added.

The Cowboys haven't made the playoffs in "3 years" which has put a spotlight on these last 2 regular season elimination games. It's Romo's small playoff resume and his consistent struggles in make or break games that have so many analyzing his performances in these games. Everyone is trying to put their finger on why he can't perform at the same high level in these games as he does through most of the regular season. It's put a choker label on him and it's going to take a ring to remove it.
  18. KJJ

10,532 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    The media would have only brought those games up if Romo played poorly in them which is the main reason they're being brought up now. It's the trend he's developed for not playing well in these games that's brought them to the attention of the media and the fans but no performance by Romo bad or good would be added to his elimination game record unless it was do or die for both the Cowboys and their opponent. Romo is almost cursed by how well he performs throughout most of the regular season and how consistently good his numbers are. It's the contrast between his regular season stat average and his statistical average in his 7 elimination games that causes all the scrutiny he receives. It's a tale of 2 Tony Romo's a good one and a bad one.

Last season in week 16 vs NO Romo was outstanding in a losing effort. He passed for over 400 yards, had a passer rating of over 123.0 and had 4 TD's and no turnovers but the very next week in a game that was do or die vs a rookie QB who was playing on one leg Romo had his worst passer rating game of the season and committed 3 turnovers. Had he played like he did the previous week and the Cowboys lost none of the criticism for the loss would have come his way. Instead of focusing on HIM everyone would have been looking at the TEAM around him. No one faulted him for the loss to NO in week 16.

It's not just his reduced passing yards, completion percentage and passer rating in these elimination games it's the number of turnovers he has that has everyone dissecting him. He gets rattled early by a turnover and compounds one mistake with another it's been a trend with him. When he's in a groove like he was vs NO he's as good as any QB in the NFL but when he gets rattled he's not the same player. He has a tough time settling down and recovering from a mistake. He begins to press and his game comes apart. We saw the best and worst of Romo in the same game vs Detroit 2 years ago. Once he started going wrong in the second half he couldn't right the ship and it was one mistake after another.

I'm not acting like an authority and didn't make up any definitions. You've been screaming for months that elimination games don't exist even though practically everyone in the media has labeled them "elimination games." You don't even listen to the ones who are authorities you dance to your own drummer and could care less what the experts say. It's FANS like you who act like authorities scoffing at the media who get paid to cover the game.

They may be just a regular season game to you but those 3 season finales had a playoff birth attached to them. The season was on the line in all 3 games. No matter how much you try and lessen the importance of those regular season games they were "elimination games" and Romo and the Cowboys are being judged off them. Might as well come to grips with it.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,127 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    Touche...

:laugh2:
  20. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,754 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    This has been a good thread ,BUT about three or four of the posters are doing nothing but arguing and putting down the other posters. Enough is enough. Stay on thread without the personal insults and jabs.